• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'm gonna have a morning/afternoon to burn in Harrisburg PA. Anyone have recommendations on something to do?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There's not really a ton to do that's super unique to the city. The state capital building is one of the nation's most ornate and it's worth popping into see the capital rotunda.

The National Civil War Museum is there too.

http://www.nationalcivilwarmuseum.org/

Depending on weather you might take a walk down Front Street which runs along the east shore of the Susquehanna River. There are walking bridges that will take you to City Island which is about 5 square miles and sits in the middle of the river. Not much going on their in the winter though.

You're not far from Hershey. You could go to Chocolate World and do the virtual factory tour and see the world's largest Hershey bar. That would kill an hour or two, but might be a little weird to do by yourself. Gettysburg is also less than an hour away if you have time to check out the battle field.

Just stay out of Allison Hill if you venture into Harrisburg proper. That's one of the rougher neighborhoods within the city limits.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I was supposed to go to Harrisburg just prior to Christmas, but we found Gettysburg so interesting we chopped Harrisburg from the itinerary and stayed an extra day in Gettysburg. So I guess my recommendation is head down to Gettysburg. I found it fascinating to roam the battlefield.

ETA: of no particular connection to the OP, but I was really surprised at how much Pennsylvania resembled southern Indiana.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was supposed to go to Harrisburg just prior to Christmas, but we found Gettysburg so interesting we chopped Harrisburg from the itinerary and stayed an extra day in Gettysburg. So I guess my recommendation is head down to Gettysburg. I found it fascinating to roam the battlefield.

ETA: of no particular connection to the OP, but I was really surprised at how much Pennsylvania resembled southern Indiana.

We spend a day in Gettysburg, I think I could have spent a week!

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Thanks for the ideas! I'm heading out there late this week. Hopefully Viper can remember the name of the wing place before I go!

Top Bottom