• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Im going to cut and thread a barrel for the first time on my own in my lathe. Im trying to find a indicating rod for the barrel and PT&G says 4-6 weeks to manufacture one. Im impatient and dont like waiting so here i am asking if anyone here has one i can buy or borrow before i play the waiting game.

And on another note, just for indicating a muzzle to to be cut, crowned, and threaded which workes better? A ranging rod or a indicator rod?

Thanks for any help.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I tried using indicator rods and they are ok, but if you are hoping to do more threading down the road a quality dial indicator with a 2" reach works for all calibers and is easier to use

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Excuse me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you slug the barrel to get the bore diameter, then turn your own indicator rod pretty easily?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Excuse me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you slug the barrel to get the bore diameter, then turn your own indicator rod pretty easily?

An indicator rod, especially 17 caliber, is well into centerless grinding territory for anything close to the runout, accuracy, and surface finish needed.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Turning a .17 cal rod would be tough to turn in the lathe and keep it true because it would flex so much. Thats awful small.

Allenm: i thought about what you suggested and thought the .17 particularly would be tough due to how small the opening was. I may buy a long reach dial gauge and try it. I guess im supprised the indicator rod isn't the easier way to dial it in.

7mmRM: i didnt know there were rental places for those kind of tools. Thanks for telling me about it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Turning a .17 cal rod would be tough to turn in the lathe and keep it true because it would flex so much. Thats awful small.

Allenm: i thought about what you suggested and thought the .17 particularly would be tough due to how small the opening was. I may buy a long reach dial gauge and try it. I guess im supprised the indicator rod isn't the easier way to dial it in.

7mmRM: i didnt know there were rental places for those kind of tools. Thanks for telling me about it.

The 17 hole might be to small for the indicator. I have quite a bit of room on 22 still so I dont know.

I find the indicator a quicker setup because I can locate my first measurement right on the pivot point of the barrel. Then come to the end of the barrel and dial it in. It goes pretty quick.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Allen,

I too use a long stem Interapid 99% of the time, however as you alluded to, the 17 is a tiny hole and is where a RR works best.

Top Bottom