IN passing law allowing high powered rifles for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If it officially doesn't make it, we can thank ignorance and Indiana's notoriously powerful inertia against even the most sensible new ideas.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    3 kinds of people against the use of "centerfire rifles" on deer in IN.

1, Bow hunters

2, Idiots

3, Guys that have dumped a boat load of money on 358 Hoosiers

That pretty much covers it.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Welcome to why people pushed so hard to keep the real rifles out of Indiana.

I have a 12 gauge, a .44 lever action, a .458 socom, and a few more. Most of the people, if not all who dump money into special wildcat calibers to comply with the hunting laws really wanted this to pass. In fact, I don't know anyone who has a .358 Hoosier or .458 socom that was against it. We all spent a bunch of money to jump through the hoops to basically have a center fire rifle that was legal to hunt with. I love the .458 socom and would still hunt with it if this law passed. I would also hunt with my 30-06 and my .308... Maybe even my 45-70... And who knows what else. We aren't the problem. I have heard more complaining from bow hunters and shotgun hunters than anyone.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Rumor I'm hearing is that a lot of farmers and landowners and other misguided folks in northern Indiana came out against the rule because it's so "flat" up there. Ignorance is bliss. We got outvoted or out commented on or whatever you wanna call it or that's the rumor. Maybe next time, if it ever comes up again, more people will comment in favor of the rule change. Only in Indiana can you traipse around in the middle of the night with a high powered rifle shooting at medium size dogs in the dark with decent center fire rifle but you can't utilize the the same tool in broad daylight aiming towards the ground using deer size targets. Makes absolutely no sense. And for whatever reason they can't legalize traditional rifles such as the 30-30 or the .35 Remington to use for deer. I just want to use the old .35 Remington Marlin I have in the safe without the hassle of trimming the case. Has to be one of the finest examples of stupidity on the planet.

This whole mess makes me sick.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Don't know about you guys but I have killed all kinds of game right here in Indiana with rifles, just not deer. As far as I know none of my misses killed some kid two county's over. I over heard a couple of brain surgeons the other day talking about how many people will die if we go to rifles for deer. People are so damn silly it makes my head hurt trying to figure them out.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Don't know about you guys but I have killed all kinds of game right here in Indiana with rifles, just not deer. As far as I know none of my misses killed some kid two county's over. I over heard a couple of brain surgeons the other day talking about how many people will die if we go to rifles for deer. People are so damn silly it makes my head hurt trying to figure them out.

I hear you.
    Even my own brother and father-in-law (I get along fine with them, btw) say that.
    They both looked shocked when I calmly explained that the reason that conventional centerfires were made illegal in Indiana was because of totally unmanaged overhunting of the deer herd at the turn of the century that had nearly eliminated the Whitetail deer in the state.
    They were still skeptical until I explained that ALL of Kentucky, even the very flat western half, allows centerfires for deer...NOTHING to do with "safety" at all.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I hear you.
    Even my own brother and father-in-law (I get along fine with them, btw) say that.
    They both looked shocked when I calmly explained that the reason that conventional centerfires were made illegal in Indiana was because of totally unmanaged overhunting of the deer herd at the turn of the century that had nearly eliminated the Whitetail deer in the state.
    They were still skeptical until I explained that ALL of Kentucky, even the very flat western half, allows centerfires for deer...NOTHING to do with "safety" at all.

Don't forget very flat Texas and the 24+ million people that largely live in the eastern half. Jeez come to think of it, Many states that allow rifles have sizeable chunks of real estate that's comparable to Indiana. In fact I wouldn't consider half of this state to be all that flat.

This has become a self perpetuating myth. Get all sportsmen used to the myth that because it's a shotgun, it won't go far, so their general safe handling practices lag. Voila excuses for the "they're unsafe" crowd, caused by the very fact that the common thing used. Even the often erroneously accused inbreds and hillbillies of Kentucky know that when you pull the trigger on any firearm make sure no one is in the way.

I swear if I hear another "when a hunter shoots at a deer skylined on a ridge" line, preceded by the "Indiana's too flat" line I'm gonna puke. Flat places don't have ridges.

Last edited:

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    High power center fire rifles in Indiana? Why, a careless hunter in Terre Haute could kill someone in Dayton, Ohio. Indiana is way too urban for such "Western" arms.

I'm with you mrortega. The nuts on here would be screaming like little kids if the Republipukes in Indy denied them the use of bazookas to hunt deer. There's tons of legal weapons to kill game. Why the ??? do you need a centerfire.

I'm described in this post as "uninformed" and an "idiot". OK, so how many of you have had your house and vehicle hit by stray rounds? And yes, I live in a town. That is enough for me. Most hunters are a responsible lot. But there's plenty that aren't. And no matter how "safe" you think you are there's always exceptions. Neither of the "smart" and "informed" Indiana boys who hit my house and truck (separate incidences and both frequent this website) had any real interest in damaging my property.

So get in your car and drive to a state that allows centerfire hunting and have all the fun you want. Plenty of places to go that aren't that far. I hunt, but do not see the "need" for centerfire rifles. And yes Capitan Kirk, you can give me all the "proof" that you can find and I won't buy it. Centerfire amounts to a testosterone injection, nothing more.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I'm with you mrortega. The nuts on here would be screaming like little kids if the Republipukes in Indy denied them the use of bazookas to hunt deer. There's tons of legal weapons to kill game. Why the ??? do you need a centerfire.

I'm described in this post as "uninformed" and an "idiot". OK, so how many of you have had your house and vehicle hit by stray rounds? And yes, I live in a town. That is enough for me. Most hunters are a responsible lot. But there's plenty that aren't. And no matter how "safe" you think you are there's always exceptions. Neither of the "smart" and "informed" Indiana boys who hit my house and truck (separate incidences and both frequent this website) had any real interest in damaging my property.

So get in your car and drive to a state that allows centerfire hunting and have all the fun you want. Plenty of places to go that aren't that far. I hunt, but do not see the "need" for centerfire rifles. And yes Capitan Kirk, you can give me all the "proof" that you can find and I won't buy it. Centerfire amounts to a testosterone injection, nothing more.

Was your hous and car hit with center fire rounds? If so, they are not currently legal for deer, so how is your house and car being hit related to the hunting issue? maybe we should just ban center fire rifles period.... Not just for hunting.

mark f

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    hebron
    I don't see why they wouldn't finally allow better caliber rifles. We have enough farm land around like Michigan.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am torn. If I had a vote on it, I would vote to allow centerfire rifles, because freedom, but I would rather it not pass because of the increased pressure on the deer herd and I dread every moron in the county launching .308 rounds towards deer. Having slugs passing overhead is bad enough without the added range of some high powered rifles.

I understand that those rounds are legal for some other animals, but there are not near as many people hunting coyotes as there are deer. Something about deer season just brings out the morons and I am not going to be disappointed if this thing doesn't pass, even though I would vote for it on principle if it were up to me.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Maybe it's the shotgun that needs to be outlawed for hunting. Because in the 38 years I spent in states that allow rifles cartridges, I not one time ever had a stray round come anywhere near me. I think you are telling falsehoods. Rifle cartridges will eventually get authorized, and if you don't like that....stay home, and cower in fear.

Don't like facts much eh?

Top Bottom