• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just want to confirm the rules on an Indiana resident taking a rifle to Michigan. I do not have any other type of permit other than my little IN pink piece of paper. I'm kicking myself for not getting the Utah permit right now, but that's besides the point. I will be in MI for a week and would like to at least have a rifle in the car. In the past I've taken guns to MI but it was always during hunting season for deer in a case with a lock on it. This time I just want to make sure I've got a rifle with me while away from the teddy12b compound.

Can I legally take a rifle into Michigan just for the sake of it? Does it need to be broken down at all? A trigger lock or anything else like that?

Ideally I'd like to take an AR with me, but if that's not a wise move I could always go with a 10-22 or a lever action hunting rifle because they're less suspicious. I don't plan on using it for anything, but I definately like the idea of having a rifle with me. I was considering even getting a small game hunting license so that I'd at least be able to say I was hoping for an oportunity to hunt whatever small game was in season while there.

Any suggestions?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You'd be fine with a handgun, too - no need for Utah CCW.

Most of us know the laws concerning handguns and rifles may be a lot more lax. But, I don't believe there's much at all in the way of regulation.

Curious - why aren't you taking a handgun instead?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Michigan and Indiana have reciprocity on LTCH. Take a Pistol if you want self protection. Check their laws, I believe Mi. is a concealed carry state and must inform if stopped by Law enforcement. You stated you have a Pink Slip, use it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I didn't realize my carry permit was recognized in MI. Might be anice trip for the G19 to make as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I travel all time time up there. It is not an issue. I have lived in both states. Your ltch has nothing to do with a rifle. It is for hand gun only. You do not need a permit for the rifle in Indiana or Michigan It is best to unload the rifle and separate it from the ammo.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    Transporting a firearm into Michigan is no problem. It should be stored in a container of some type (soft or hard case) unloaded and separate from ammunition. If your vehicle has a trunk keep it there, if you’re in a truck/suv it needs to be inaccessible to the occupants. This is for handguns and rifles. We honor out of state concealed pistol licenses as well, as long as they abide by our CPL (ConcealedPistol License) laws.

Specifically
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(cy...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227d

Concerning CPL's and other FAQ's with links
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Does MI still have the laws against a folding stock for hunting? My 10-22 has a folding stock is why I'm asking.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Michigan law requires that if stop by the police you "must" inform the officer that you have firearms on you, or in your auto. They are ok with Indiana permits and just be polite. I have encountered Michigan State police and I had no problems. In fact walked away with a warning. I am retired with a badge but never showed it. I don't feel I should ask for any special treatment that any other person should receive!!I was stopped for speeding...70 in a 65.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Michigan law requires that if stop by the police you "must" inform the officer that you have firearms on you, or in your auto. They are ok with Indiana permits and just be polite. I have encountered Michigan State police and I had no problems. In fact walked away with a warning. I am retired with a badge but never showed it. I don't feel I should ask for any special treatment that any other person should receive!!I was stopped for speeding...70 in a 65.

Can you please show me the code that you have to inform if its in your auto. I know the code if you are carrying it weather it's out in public or in your car but I don't think there's anything that saids you have to inform if its stored in the auto.

Thanks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Im in northern MI at the lake house. I brought several pistols and ar's to shoot this week. It is perfectly ok to bring toys to play with!

Just curious but how do you transport all your guns, mags, and ammo?

Top Bottom