• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    If you already have those nice rifles, hopefully you have done some disassembling to see how they go together and learn how they work. There is no better way to learn how they work than to build it your self. The basic tools for the job are not very expensive. You probably did alot of research into your parts selection and bought good quality stuff. Now you just need to assemble it. It will mean alot more to you in the end if you build it yourself.
    I bought 5 ARs before I built my first one and now will probably never buy another factory gun.
    Good luck in your search and I hope you enjoy your new rifle when you get it built.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Already a Colt and BCM owner. It just amazes me that a simple question can’t be answered politely. Some of the posts in response to my initial question were frankly quite rude. I figured before I even made my account this is how posting this question would go but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. If anyone can actually recommend a good local smith it would still be appreciated.
    Welcome to INGO. You really need some thick skin around here. Dont take it personally. What you dont realize is we are encouraging you to do something you are quite capable of doing yourself, not belittling you.

Why not watch some youtube videos and DIY? Serious question. Have you even watched one to see what is involved? If you are interested, just ask and Im sure some here know of some really good videos they can share.

If you have watched a video and there is a specific thing you dont understand, just ask. We would be glad to clarify the confusion. I personally had a build party with two friends. I built another and they both built their first as they followed along with me. I guess I was their Youtube. LOL

You cant really break it. It wont hurt to try. And there are no pieces that require specific torque on a lower. And if something is assembled wrong, it blatantly just wont work. You arent going to create a dangerous condition by doing it wrong. (blowing up, going full auto, etc) And if you do it wrong, you can take it back apart and do it correctly. (BTDT) Worst case you lose some parts and have to order a new lower parts kit for under $40. Then you will have spares of the rest of the parts.

Give it a try. It wont hurt.

Oh, and my first build, I had NO special tools. I used a cut off nail instead of a punch, and channel locks and a strip of thick rubber to install the stock castle nut without marring it.

And having other ARs, you can always refer to them to make sure what you are doing looks right.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Already a Colt and BCM owner. It just amazes me that a simple question can’t be answered politely. Some of the posts in response to my initial question were frankly quite rude. I figured before I even made my account this is how posting this question would go but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. If anyone can actually recommend a good local smith it would still be appreciated.
    You may be referencing me.
    I don’t apologize for speaking the truth directly, but if I’ve said something wrong feel free to point it out and I sure will.
    I did misspeak earlier, I actually can’t tell you any local gunsmiths to put together an AR, as I do all my own stunts. 80 to cerekote. So, sorry, I can’t help you there.

At first I thought your $1500 number sounded ridiculous but then I realized I’ve approached that quite a few times, and that’s starting with an 80%. It’s amazing how quickly it can add up.

Just curious, why not do it yourself?
    And where have you gotten the idea that it takes special tools and exacting tolerances to put one together? As CameraMonkey said above, you can always redo it. Except the cerekote. You can, but I hate it when that happens.
    I think you should do your own stunts, too.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Your intro to INGO needs work for sure. You came in critical to your local FFL dealers for not knowing a spec. Immediately used defensive language and justification of that by stating you did,while also likely not really understanding how simple the process you were asking about could be accomplished by an average person with a little knowledge and a few tools.

When you did not get the information you wanted you went on a rant about politics with sarcasm directed at anyone who had replied. Note that you were already using defensive language to justify your actions and wording even making your second post just to make clear your reasoning(and to set up a defense you could claim during your third).

Polite requests will get you much further on INGO and in society in general, not one that puts everyone off immediately with your superior attitude and knowledge. You may know the spec,but people here have the practical experience. It is not that complex of a task. I even participated in a build event promoted on INGO.

Now if you just want someone to do it for you,but feel you need a gunsmith why not just call a few? It is not like the information is difficult to find.

I honestly feel like you only joined to argue and make statements about gun owners,ffl dealers,and people on this forum you have no clue about. That is my first impression. Feel free to make a better second one if you like.

"I figured before I even made my account this is how posting this question would go" this statement alone says more about you and your attitude than you realize. It also makes it clear you need to feel like you are the "victim"(just like your first post). Now what group of people use that ideology? Tough to hide that ideology.
    I would wager you are very left leaning,college educated(in the last 10-15 years),and need near constant attention to how great you are as a human being. It only took you 4 posts to toss in a third victim card.

Did I misjudge you? Maybe. That is just my first impression of you. It can be changed.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    At first I thought your $1500 number sounded ridiculous but then I realized I’ve approached that quite a few times, and that’s starting with an 80%. It’s amazing how quickly it can add up.
    I know exactly what you are talking about.
    My current build is using alot of what I consider "nicer" components. I did some quick math and I have roughly $850 in it and it won't even shoot yet. I still have to buy the barrel, gas block, gas tube and BCG. That will be another $300 or so for the parts I am thinking about. So, $1150 just to make it shoot. The scope setup I have on hand for it cost me around $675 for everything. The weapon light setup is another $160ish. So that's almost $2K and I haven't even fired a shot. Obviously I didn't have to spend that kind of money on building a rifle but I wanted to build what I consider a better quality rifle than my previous builds. That doesn't even scratch the surface on some of the builds I seen guys do.
    In comparison, my last carbine build I did as a "budget" and it still cost me over $700 built out with no optic. I could have built it for a little over $500 but I made it fully ambidextrous, used Magpul parts instead of the Mil-spec stuff I had on hand, and a few other thing it didn't need, but I consider my personal minimum for a rifle.
    I guess the moral of the story is you can spend as much as you want or as little as you want when building a rifle. And it is making me question my sanity as to why I started building AR's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lots of folks build their own.
    For a lower. ..coulda asked to borrow a Tapco wrench and done at home.

Got tired of mine in the toolbox and gave the thing away

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You had one of the best gunsmiths in Hendricks Co. respond to your inquiry ( @Squirt239 ). He even quoted you a price. What more do you want/need? More names to comparison shop?

Quite frankly, it would surprise me if any local gunsmith would take on your work given the attitude you've displayed in your first four posts on INGO.

However, if you want another name, contact @AllenM. He's also one of the best in Hendricks Co. and is known for his ability to deal with very demanding customers.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    You had one of the best gunsmiths in Hendricks Co. respond to your inquiry ( @Squirt239 ). He even quoted you a price. What more do you want/need? More names to comparison shop?

Quite frankly, it would surprise me if any local gunsmith would take on your work given the attitude you've displayed in your first four posts on INGO.

However, if you want another name, contact @AllenM. He's also one of the best in Hendricks Co. and is known for his ability to deal with very demanding customers.
    Thank you...

Side note I'm in Boone county

To the OP, gunsmiths are few and far between. Most of us know each other. We share work, sub work out, we even refer customers.

On the other hand, we also warn each other about issues with people/customers.

Best of luck to you.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    To answer your question directly, @AllenM is a master gunsmith and builder in Avon. He is an advertiser here on INGO under Diamond Collision. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/diamond-collision.260/

Most of INGO would trust him with just about anything.

As to our members, including me, giving you advice on trying this yourself, reading your first post, it seemed that the only reason you gave for not attempting this yourself was the cost of the tools. It wasn't until post 14 where you shed some more light on why you are seeking a pro for this. We were just trying to help a fellow gun owner out.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thank you...

Side note I'm in Boone county

To the OP, gunsmiths are few and far between. Most of us know each other. We share work, sub work out, we even refer customers.

On the other hand, we also warn each other about issues with people/customers.

Best of luck to you.
    Hendricks Co. ... Boone Co. ... close enough!

Nate223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Indiana
    Thank you to the person the person who recommended Diamond Collision. To the rest of the people who feel the need to criticize me and questioning my motives: I am a full time single father of two children. Mom checked out 5 years ago when she decided she didn’t want to be a wife and a mother. My oldest child is currently battling cancer and requires constant monitoring. If her temperate gets above a certain point we immediately have to go to the hospital. I don’t have the time or energy to do it. That being said I don’t understand why I need to discuss my private life on here and why people care why or why I don’t want to do something myself. I’d rather spend time with my kid than building lowers in my garage. No one on here introduced themself as a gunsmith and said they would take the work I’m sorry if I don’t recognize certain screen names. I’m sure I will be criticized for this post too but that’s okay because this will be my last. I have better things to do than argue with strangers on the internet. I also appreciate the guy who called me a liberal that’s the funniest thing I have heard all year and I truly needed a good laugh. I have voted republican since the 80’s and I am a member of the sons of the American Revolution.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you to the person the person who recommended Diamond Collision. To the rest of the people who feel the need to criticize me and questioning my motives: I am a full time single father of two children. Mom checked out 5 years ago when she decided she didn’t want to be a wife and a mother. My oldest child is currently battling cancer and requires constant monitoring. If her temperate gets above a certain point we immediately have to go to the hospital. I don’t have the time or energy to do it. That being said I don’t understand why I need to discuss my private life on here and why people care why or why I don’t want to do something myself. I’d rather spend time with my kid than building lowers in my garage. No one on here introduced themself as a gunsmith and said they would take the work I’m sorry if I don’t recognize certain screen names. I’m sure I will be criticized for this post too but that’s okay because this will be my last. I have better things to do than argue with strangers on the internet. I also appreciate the guy who called me a liberal that’s the funniest thing I have heard all year and I truly needed a good laugh. I have voted republican since the 80’s and I am a member of the sons of the American Revolution.

Best of luck to you, my freind! I sincerely hope you and yours find solutions to all of the troubles effecting you.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As a mechanic, I completely agree with ditcherman's comments about telling the mechanic what to do. lol

Honestly, there are so many custom handgaurds out there now, all with their own castle nut, tool, and specific torque to apply knowing the milspec spec from memory is meh.

I think what you need is someone to borrow/rent the tools from.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can throw a rock from my property and hit Hendricks county lol

Brownsburg address, town of Fayette, in Boone county, Zionsville taxes, Whitestown phone number, Perry Township representation....
    Wait, I'm in Perry Township on the southside of Indy. One of these things is not like the others! :):

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    funny-and-cool-ways-to-say-goodbye.jpg

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    This thread is a little dated, but many of the responses are tapping around my question, in response to the OP.

Looks like I may be helping someone assemble an AR.

I've assembled a lower, but not an upper.

What have you used in applying torque to the barrel nut if you did not have an action bar, or one of the plastic clamshell upper holders?

I don't want to mar or twist his shiny new Aero upper applying the barrel nut torque.

Looking for ideas.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    This thread is a little dated, but many of the responses are tapping around my question, in response to the OP.

Looks like I may be helping someone assemble an AR.

I've assembled a lower, but not an upper.

What have you used in applying torque to the barrel nut if you did not have an action bar, or one of the plastic clamshell upper holders?

I don't want to mar or twist his shiny new Aero upper applying the barrel nut torque.

Looking for ideas.
    You'll need the bar, nothing else is going to work to hold the barrel without marring it.

Top Bottom