In the market for a second gun. Kel Tec P-11 or PF9 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ok.. I'm a huge Kel Tec fan. I already have a P3AT that I absoutely love.. I'm in the market for a 9mm for EDC. I do not have LTCH (yet) but it's coming soon. For now, the .380 stays in my fingerprint safe when I'm not home but she goes to the range with me frequently and I've gotten very accurate w/ it. It will serve as a second/backup EDC or might become my wife's EDC .. all that aside...

I really love the Kel Tec 9mm offerings... I was really stuck on the P11 but am considering the PF9 because of it's size.. although, there are (occasionally) P40 conversion kits available for the P11 (which would mean if I had the conversion kit, I would technically have 3 guns.. well, 2 and a kit to make a third)..

Seems like a bunch of folks here are huge fans of Glocks but I'm lookin' for advice (good or bad) about the Kel Tec stuff.. (I'm a member of the Kel Tec forum but I think their advice might be biased LOL)

Thanks

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If you want a shooter/carry p11 the pf9 is not a range gum but decent carry gun. Same with the p3at. I owned a p3at and absolutely hated shooting it but it was a nice carry gun.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    Ok I had the same questions when buying. The main difference other than capacity and size is the TRIGGER!!!. The trigger on the P11 seemed to be real gritty, real long, and real hard. (NO COMMENTS PLEASE) I only dry fired the P11 and I did feel it. No actual firing though.

I went with PF9 as everyone who had the P11 seemed to regret getting it because of the trigger. I love love love my PF9 for what it is. It is definitely a SD gun :) I love the clip add on accessory.

Go PF9, get the pinky extender add on. It comes with new PF9's now. I also love the +1 add on. Gets you closer to capacity of P11 and only adds I think 3/8" or so.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ok I had the same questions when buying. The main difference other than capacity and size is the TRIGGER!!!. The trigger on the P11 seemed to be real gritty, real long, and real hard. (NO COMMENTS PLEASE) I only dry fired the P11 and I did feel it. No actual firing though.

I went with PF9 as everyone who had the P11 seemed to regret getting it because of the trigger. I love love love my PF9 for what it is. It is definitely a SD gun :) I love the clip add on accessory.

Go PF9, get the pinky extender add on. It comes with new PF9's now. I also love the +1 add on. Gets you closer to capacity of P11 and only adds I think 3/8" or so.

How does the trigger compare to the P3AT ?? I love firing it at the range and am very confident w/ it and am very accurate (now).. I've mastered the trigger.. instead of anticipating when the hammer falls and trying to take up slack, I just aim, and pull all the way, one shot.

I dry fired the P11 and the trigger didn't seem out of the ordinary (although, I don't have a vast array of handguns with which to compare it)

The main reason I was leaning towards the P11 is because of the P40 conversion kit which would give me a .40 cal as well (which would be a 'just because it's fun and I can' accessory/upgrade)

Thoughts ?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I owned a P11 briefly. My EDC is a Glock, but I didn't have any particular trouble shooting the P11. Compared to the Glock it was a PITA to break down to clean, but that may have been my unfamiliarity with it. If I were going to choose between the PF9 and P11, I'd probably go with the higher-capacity model. Neither would be particularly difficult to conceal.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have never pulled the trigger on a P3AT actually. I am on a Bersa Forum and I asked the same question. PF9 vs P11. They recommended that I try both out, dry fire. So I went to Gander Mountain.... Pulled both triggers and I felt the P11 was gritty, and harder/more weight. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and I was used to the first pull Double Action and weight. PF9 was closest to what I was used to. It still took a while to get used to though :) If you like the P11 then go for it. Only you can know which one YOU like best.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i had a p11, should never have sold it. If you are thinking of getting a glock 26, don't. save the $250 and go p11.

if not considering a glock due to thickness, go pf9 and pick up a .22 LR conversion kit later. you'll have 2 inexpensive shooters that are easy to conceal...unless you're one of those OC'ers that like show their stuff. in that case, go desert eagle. ;)

Last edited:

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I own a P11

I bought one of these after discussing a easy conceal firearm with an LEO. He said that he owned one and liked it alot. Thats all of the advice that i needed. I went ahead and got it and after handling it quite a bit i decided that i need a grip extension. Purchased another mag and two grip extensions and it fits me perfectly. I shoot hornady peersonal defense ammo about 150 down the tube and have not had any issues.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I currently own a PF-9 and used to own the .40 S&W version of the P-11. The .40's recoil from that light gun was just painful. I'm not recoil sensitive, the thing just plain hurt my hand... bad. I sold it after a week I think. PF-9's trigger is way better than the P-11's I've handled. It's not great, but surprisingly good for an inexpensive pistol. My PF-9 has been very reliable, accurate enough, and is very thin.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Any of you that have owned the P11.. have you done the 'fluff n buff' on the trigger to smooth it out ?

I've been reading about different 'quirks' of both guns on the kel tec forum but I'm looking for non-biased opinions from those that may still own them, or have owned them along w/ other guns (for comparison)

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's great to get some insight from other owners.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    My PF9 2cents

If you get the PF9 stay away from WWB it doesn't cycled well and it isn't very forgiving to "limpwristing." Otherwise, I own it and love it. I recently went to the range with some of my sibs and it kept jamming for them (there were four of us), I grabbed ahold of it and I had no problems.

Also, get a small Hogue grip and put it on upside down it will help with range trips. The grip has all kinds of sharp edges.

picture.php

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I prefer the single action trigger of a good 1911, so you can imagine how I feel about the trigger on the P-11. I bought one anyway, and did a couple of the recomended modifications to it. One was the addition of a trigger shoe which I made from an old Makita sawzall trigger. I also installed a trigger stop that acts like a bumper. It will hit the frame inside the trigger guard just before the striker releases to fire the cartridge. This way I can pull straight thru until I feel the resistance from the stop and know just when the pistol will fire. With a little practice it is easy to stage your shots with more accuracy. The trigger is now pretty nice. You can get a trigger shoe from Kel-Tek also. These two modifications and more can be found on Kel-Tek's website.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    I was in the same situation as OP, and decided to go with the PF9. While I normally would opt for the higher capacity, when I compared the two side by side, I was won over by the thinness of the PF9 over the P11. I'm sure whichever one you get will be great, but also keep in mind that they are discontinuing the P11 so its going to be harder to find aftermarket parts, and you can get a .22 conversion for the PF9, which I hope to do soon!

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Went to the LGS to buy a P11 a year or so ago & ended up leaving with a PF9. I sold it recently and it looks like I will have to go get another one since I already miss it. I loved mine and know I want another.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    If you get the PF9 stay away from WWB it doesn't cycled well and it isn't very forgiving to "limpwristing." Otherwise, I own it and love it. I recently went to the range with some of my sibs and it kept jamming for them (there were four of us), I grabbed ahold of it and I had no problems.

Also, get a small Hogue grip and put it on upside down it will help with range trips. The grip has all kinds of sharp edges.

picture.php
    For range time I used a golf glove. I don't think I'm a sissy but it made things a little easier.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    When I compare the P11 and the PF9, I see very little difference other than slight thickness. I have both the P3AT and the P11, I think the PM9 just isn't enough smaller to drop rounds. The P11 is a decent shooter and a nice pistol for the money.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I shot a PF9 and I really liked it. The guy who owns it used snap caps and dry fired it a couple hundred times and he said it really smoothed out the trigger. If I got one (which I might) I would probably do a fluff and buff (mostly because I like to tinker) and dry fire the doo-doo out of it. I found it quite accutate and very manageable to shoot. I say go for it, for on the average of $250 I don't think you could go wrong.

Top Bottom