Increased military helio traffic lately???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i've seen/heard a few here in judson, my kids have seen more since they play outside a lot. my 12 year old who is pretty oblivious to everything has noticed and mentioned it.

the other night the wife and i saw something weird in the sky. it was a red glowing light with a yellow aura around it, it pulsated and was very bright but it traveled on. an after burner or something? i dunno? i dont believe in aliens or anything just saying it was something we hadnt sen before, and we get lots of air traffic here circling for chicago

jake

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Most Guard units do their summer training during this time. I saw numerous convoys of military vehicles on my trip to Norfolk last week and my nephew just finished his 3 week simmer camp yesterday.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Most Guard units do their summer training during this time. I saw numerous convoys of military vehicles on my trip to Norfolk last week and my nephew just finished his 3 week simmer camp yesterday.

:+1:

This is the reason.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    The real threat is fixed wing traffic around this coming weekend...you KNOW that just has to be practice runs for...

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    About 3 weeks ago there were 3 uh-60's touch down then take off at this small airport next to me all in about 30 sec.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    About 3 weeks ago there were 3 uh-60's touch down then take off at this small airport next to me all in about 30 sec.

Where were you? Indiana has two Army Aviation Support Facilities now; one just off I-74 at the Fairland exit and one at the Gary Airport. The one at Gary supports a couple OH-58 JetRangers and one or two MEDEVAC Blackhawks; the one near Shelbyville supports a UH-60 Assault helicopter company and the rest of the MEDEVAC UH-60s. If you're around the Indy Metro Area, you can expect to see Indiana Guard UH-60s all the time because they do a lot of their normal training in the Indy area. There are also occasionally aircraft of various types temporarily assigned down at Camp Atterbury as various units prepare for deployment.

And, of course, as others have said, summer time - while not the only time Annual Training is conducted - is a time of increased activity in most Guard units. You were probably watching Shelbyville birds conducting new pilot tactical training or continuation training. Sadly, the money and parts situation is such that getting three helicopters operating at the same time during the week is pretty rare.

Top Bottom