Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I "think" that this was planned from the beginning of HB 1424. We were writing asking for a hearing on HB 1022, Constitutional Carry. The powers that be wrote another bill. Adding just enough changes to raise the ire of some and have others state that it wasn't anything to get upset about. All the while having the amendment waiting in the wings to slip in at the last minute.

Earlier the term submarine was used.

If they applied as much effort into beating the opposition as they did their own constituency, they could probably accomplish great things.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Gutless. Undoubtedly the shooting in KY had something to do with it. These people are so afraid of losing power they’ll cave to however they perceive the headlines will read about the billls they support.

I wasn't aware that the 15-year-old shooter in KY was legally carrying, with or without a government permission slip.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If they applied as much effort into beating the opposition as they did their own constituency, they could probably accomplish great things.

I'm pretty sure that could be the motto of the Republican party, in general.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I "think" that this was planned from the beginning of HB 1424. We were writing asking for a hearing on HB 1022, Constitutional Carry. The powers that be wrote another bill. Adding just enough changes to raise the ire of some and have others state that it wasn't anything to get upset about. All the while having the amendment waiting in the wings to slip in at the last minute.

on a lighter note.
    HEY That was me - I also said - bait and switch - and we got a Pig in a Poke
    (kudo's to YE OLD FOGEYs like me that get all these)

Now back to the steaming mad.
    Hey - if you all can convince my wife - I might consider a run against his speakershi... (debates T or P on the end) ...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    on a lighter note.
    HEY That was me - I also said - bait and switch - and we got a Pig in a Poke
    (kudo's to YE OLD FOGEYs like me that get all these)

Now back to the steaming mad.
    Hey - if you all can convince my wife - I might consider a run against his speakershi... (debates T or P on the end) ...

As it currently sits, definitely a "t" at the end!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And once again, “WHUMP”!

(the sound Charlie Brown makes when landing flat on his back after Lucy pulls the football away [again...])

Ironic in that the lone NO vote was....... Charlie Brown

However, we aren't even done with committees. The last note on HB 1424 was.

"Referred to the Committee on Ways and Means pursuant to House Rule 127"

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Latest Version is UP on the IGA Site:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/house/1424#document-49170086

Digest:
    Handgun licenses. Increases the duration of a four year handgun license to five years. Requires a law enforcement officer to whom an application for a handgun license is made to perform a national, fingerprint based criminal history check and consult available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks, including the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), when determining whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. Removes the fees for lifetime licenses beginning July 1, 2019.

OH - NEXT STOP - HOUSE WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE ... perhaps it can get fixed there
    HEARING DATE / TIME: JAN 29 (MON.) 10:30 AM ROOM 404.
    Link to Committee:
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/committees/ways_and_means_2200

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So with the 5 year, you can buy without the NICS check, but the lifetime fees are removed.

...still no good reason to NOT get the lifetime; makes even more sense now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

This was the plan all along. Remember the committee did not recommend constitutional carry, only to remove barriers. Also recall the legislative survey that asked about support for removing fees for carry licenses. They were never going to allow constitutional carry to see the light of day. They only tossed us these scraps to avoid an anti-gun image in an election year

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If somebody runs against Bosma in the primary, we should put some money together and sponsor an add. Heck, we could sponsor whatever D running against him in the general election. We can afford to lose the seat, and it would probably be better for everyone.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    If somebody runs against Bosma in the primary, we should put some money together and sponsor an add. Heck, we could sponsor whatever D running against him in the general election. We can afford to lose the seat, and it would probably be better for everyone.

And this jackwagon... "Bill author Rep. Timothy Wesco introduced Wednesday an amendment voiding his own bill at the start of the House Public Policy committee meeting, surprising the law enforcement officers who came to testify against the proposal due to safety concerns. "Forget the original bill," the Elkhart Republican said." Genius.

In. :yesway:

Last edited:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    emailed Bosma with this message:

Mr. Bosma,

While I am not a resident of your district, I am writing to you because of your position as Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives. This year Representative Jim Lucas has introduced House Bill 1022. This bill would remove the requirement for law abiding residents of Indiana to obtained a License to Carry a Handgun as a prerequisite for carrying a handgun. I encourage you to bring this bill to a House vote as quickly as possible. The Indiana Constitution guarantees the right of all Hoosiers to keep and bear arms. It does not make exceptions to this guarantee and therefore, in my view Indiana's licensing laws are unconstitutional. However, obviously the public safety must be ensured. This bill would also ensure that prohibited persons which are already denied the right to carry and obtain a license would still be denied the right to carry. This denial would keep the already existing conditions under which the public and law enforcement are kept safe from prohibited persons. Obviously also criminals don't follow the law. Therefore, law enforcement must take special precautions and undergo special training to deal with such circumstances. This exists now and would exist still if HB1022 were passed into law.

Through the decades many state and federal laws have engaged in the latest gun control trends in attempts to reduce crime. They have had little effect and only made the law abiding more vulnerable. While Indiana has not participated in many of these trends, on the issue of gun licenses, Indiana has participated. It is time to return to our state's founding on this matter and return to this right guaranteed in the Indiana Constitution to all good Hoosiers. For not only does the right to keep and bear arms guarantee the individual a means to protect themselves and their families but it also encourages civic participation through awareness of the freedoms and liberties that all Americans enjoy.

Thank you

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Latest Version is UP on the IGA Site:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/house/1424#document-49170086

Digest:
    Handgun licenses. Increases the duration of a four year handgun license to five years. Requires a law enforcement officer to whom an application for a handgun license is made to perform a national, fingerprint based criminal history check and consult available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks, including the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), when determining whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. Removes the fees for lifetime licenses beginning July 1, 2019.

OH - NEXT STOP - HOUSE WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE ... perhaps it can get fixed there
    HEARING DATE / TIME: JAN 29 (MON.) 10:30 AM ROOM 404.
    Link to Committee:
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/committees/ways_and_means_2200

I doubt the Ways and Means will mess with the policy part of the bill. They could however decide this would cost the state too much and torpedo it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I doubt the Ways and Means will mess with the policy part of the bill. They could however decide this would cost the state too much and torpedo it.

We can only hope.

A new letter writing campaign.

CopperheadL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Usa
    I do not have a lot of time to research this, and this is just a random thought, but. House Bill 1022 put into motion by Lucas was sent to summer study. From there it was decided to push it forward to a vote i believe. If that is the case doesn't the bill legally have to be voted on before it can be killed? Again i do not know politics, so i may be completely off base here. But it seems to me that they cant just legally ignore the bill at this point by claiming its dead without it being heard and actually voted on. thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I do not have a lot of time to research this, and this is just a random thought, but. House Bill 1022 put into motion by Lucas was sent to summer study. From there it was decided to push it forward to a vote i believe. If that is the case doesn't the bill legally have to be voted on before it can be killed? Again i do not know politics, so i may be completely off base here. But it seems to me that they cant just legally ignore the bill at this point by claiming its dead without it being heard and actually voted on. thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

The summer study was in last years session and conducted over last summer / fall.
    The conclusions are what led to Jim Lucas' HB 1022 - which was slightly different than previous versions.
    HB 1424 (in ORIGINAL form) was very similar to HB 1022 - and was authored by other members ("ALLIES") on the study and public policy committee.

both 1022 and 1424 are in the house public policy committee. before a bill can be voted on (called "3rd reading" in Indiana state general assembly terms)
    It must be reviewed and passed from the committee it is assigned to. Bill from the list assigned to a committee are decided upon by the chairman of the committee.
    (there could be several on the same subject by different authors). ... In this case - the chair (Smaltz) helped write 1424 ... so 1022 will not be getting a hearing.

This is why we know 1022 is dead. Out of about 450 bills in each side (house/senate) - only a small portion typically pass committee and move forward.

This was OK because of the similarities; but then the switched 1424 up - so now it looks like, feels like and smells like - a bait and switch.
    cause "the other bill was going to be fight and not a slam dunk" - bring on the fight I say.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Also - Video of the meeting is up and shared.

The whole thing on 1424 in just about / over an hour.
    Starts at 36:40 on the video.

Archives - Indiana General Assembly, 2018 Session

Chrome seems to not want to play it (on the main computer).

there may be some sort of selection/ pull down -
    Information
    - - Videos
    - - - - Select * House Standing
    - - - - - - Pulldown to Public Policy
    - - - - - - - - select Jan 24 meeting

Guy starts his info at 1:11 or so ...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The summer study was in last years session and conducted over last summer / fall.
    The conclusions are what led to Jim Lucas' HB 1022 - which was slightly different than previous versions.
    HB 1424 (in ORIGINAL form) was very similar to HB 1022 - and was authored by other members ("ALLIES") on the study and public policy committee.

both 1022 and 1424 are in the house public policy committee. before a bill can be voted on (called "3rd reading" in Indiana state general assembly terms)
    It must be reviewed and passed from the committee it is assigned to. Bill from the list assigned to a committee are decided upon by the chairman of the committee.
    (there could be several on the same subject by different authors). ... In this case - the chair (Smaltz) helped write 1424 ... so 1022 will not be getting a hearing.

This is why we know 1022 is dead. Out of about 450 bills in each side (house/senate) - only a small portion typically pass committee and move forward.

This was OK because of the similarities; but then the switched 1424 up - so now it looks like, feels like and smells like - a bait and switch.
    cause "the other bill was going to be fight and not a slam dunk" - bring on the fight I say.

Let's say 1424 was never written. Let's say 1022 was the one that was heard in committee. If they'd tried that bait and switch, couldn't Jim have pulled his bill or tabled it or some other procedural move to keep the bait and switch from happening? I realize this likely would have killed the bill for this session but would have prevented the reinforcement of LTCH paradigm we have before us now. If I'm right or even close, this seems like it was the goal all along. Get the big wooden horse inside the city and then at the last minute... bypass Jim so the fix could be made.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Let's say 1424 was never written. Let's say 1022 was the one that was heard in committee. If they'd tried that bait and switch, couldn't Jim have pulled his bill or tabled it or some other procedural move to keep the bait and switch from happening? I realize this likely would have killed the bill for this session but would have prevented the reinforcement of LTCH paradigm we have before us now. If I'm right or even close, this seems like it was the goal all along. Get the big wooden horse inside the city and then at the last minute... bypass Jim so the fix could be made.

Yes, he could (Pull / Table / Withdraw) if I recall thing correctly. I don't think the full swap out would have been approved done without the author's blessing;
    BUT that's just perception probably. And if he did that, yes it would kill the bill.

Seems like they don't want to have to fight ... They want a slam dunk.

Top Bottom