• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Michigan.

Yup the DNR went after certain hog farmers.

People were buying Russian bloodline pigs off them and trying to start hunting populations elsewhere.

After some legal stuff and shutting down quite a few Russian boar breeders................the pig invasion/explosion............aint happening.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I know how serious these feral pigs are, seen a lot of their damage. I know they can hurt, maim or kill you, seen this as well.

I may not be the most nimble among you but I know I am willing to shoot them. I am ready, willing and mostly able to get it done and will gladly waive my rights to sue should Ime damaged in any way. I just want to let all of you know,again, that I am willing to come and shoot some of your feral hogs, or try at least to remove them all from your acreage. I have plenty of ammo and batteries for my NV and would lovetouse it in the field for once befor I pass from this mortal coil.

Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details. I have plenty of warm gear so cold inwon't stop me and I even have rain gear. :)

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Are you the Yetti that I met at Trapper's place?
    Are there still some hogs to hunt on semipermeable land around you?

Different Yetti, all the hogs are on private ground. Years ago you could go to a farmers house and get permission and go. It's not that easy anymore with hunting leases becoming popular. The days of driving the roads and seeing them in fields are gone. A fresh cut corn field will provide some road sightings for the first day or two, then they head to new cover. They have gotten smart over the years and stay in the thickets.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I know how serious these feral pigs are, seen a lot of their damage. I know they can hurt, maim or kill you, seen this as well.

I may not be the most nimble among you but I know I am willing to shoot them. I am ready, willing and mostly able to get it done and will gladly waive my rights to sue should Ime damaged in any way. I just want to let all of you know,again, that I am willing to come and shoot some of your feral hogs, or try at least to remove them all from your acreage. I have plenty of ammo and batteries for my NV and would lovetouse it in the field for once befor I pass from this mortal coil.

Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details. I have plenty of warm gear so cold inwon't stop me and I even have rain gear. :)

You can't sue in Indiana if a landowner allows you to hunt their property for free. Might be helpful to find that statute and carry a copy with you when asking for permission.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You can't sue in Indiana if a landowner allows you to hunt their property for free. Might be helpful to find that statute and carry a copy with you when asking for permission.

Here's a hair-splitting follow-up question: does that apply only when the land is in its "natural state," or does it also apply if there are things like permanent tree stands in place for use?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's a hair-splitting follow-up question: does that apply only when the land is in its "natural state," or does it also apply if there are things like permanent tree stands in place for use?

I haven't read it in a couple of years but I don't remember it making a distinction about the state of the land. I think it's based on the fact that hunting brings with it inherent risks and a land owner who allows someone to hunt their property for free accepts none of them on behalf of the hunter.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember that statute that Phylo is talking about, back when I was hunting public land and what private acreage I could find I kept that handy.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I tried to get permission to shot some about a year ago but i couldn't get anyone to let me do it. So i guess they will wake up and they will have the same problem as Florida and Texas. So if any of you can get someone to let us do it count me in.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I tried to get permission to shot some about a year ago but i couldn't get anyone to let me do it. So i guess they will wake up and they will have the same problem as Florida and Texas. So if any of you can get someone to let us do it count me in.

During the spike of the population a lot of landowners were willing to let anyone and everyone hunt them. People were running around from all over the state and even from out of state, chasing the elusive pig. After fields were rutted up and fences cut due to disrespect the landowners got a sour taste in their mouths and fed up. Local hunters and out of towners got shut down and ran off. Farmers were done with hog hunters. Now the USDA, 20yrs later is trying to get in and blow tax dollars and solve the problem. Only problem is, farmers and landowners remember what it was like before and deny the USDA experts permission. Not trying to be a Smart A$$, but you are late. This is just an explanation of what happened in the past.

It was crazy for awhile, I saw a lot of gates getting put up trying to keep people out. One night I ran into people from Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky all doing the same thing, trespassing!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, this is a problem. I used to own a fair patch of land and this happened to me often. People tear down your signs and cut fences and essentially destroy everything they touch. Trash was all over the place from "camps" and we had hordes of coyotes because no one buried the guts they removed from their hunt. It was a mess until finally I and a few friends took to patrolling the property. We were armed and posted this was not a place to trespass. Took a few years but once word got out that we didn't take this lightly, people went elsewhere to poach and trespass in general.

It is sad that people tend to ruin everything they touch. There are good folks out there who wouldn't do this but it takes a tolll on how you view the public and it makes it so much harder for good folks to be able to hunt. My property eventually became a private hunting paradise for the few friends I let hunt but we NEVER allowed anyone else to use it unlesss they agreed to have one of us with them.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Not only due a lot of hunters suck but we have also figured out putting up a hot wire 6in. off the ground keeps hogs out as does baited hog traps, not to hard to keep the numbers down these days with good ranching practices.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    What's the penalty for shooting a pig on state or federal land. I had my first "run in" with two a few weeks ago in the Lawrence county section of Hoosier national forest. Luckily I saw them before my dog did and was able to get him on his leash and walk away, with that said if one of these things comes at me or my dog its getting some 300blk thrown into it, DNR can sort it out afterwards.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    ^^^Kill them. no penalty for killing a pig, usda has a $5million dollar grant to kill them, so a pig on federal ground should be fair game. Save the tax payer dollar!!! Just curious, were you north or south of HWY 50? I have not heard or seen any north of hwy50 in eastern Lawrence Co. They are due south of 50 in that area but for some reason they have taken their time getting north. If you were south of 50 in SW Lawrence co then those pigs have crossed 37 from the river and Mitchell area. The pigs are getting farther out every year, the usda will never get them all.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    As mentioned by others in this thread -- I'm in for some pig hunting.

I'll even make it sporting... I'll use revolver only and they can hunt me too.

Now that I've taken that too far -- INGO should turn the "controlling" of feral hogs in to a reality show... Heck, folks watch the Kardashians and Swamp People... Surely they'll watch a melting-pot of folks stalking wild hogs in the Indiana cold.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom