• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    I have in the past posted a few threads on gunsmithing. I have wanted for the last few years to go to school to become a gunsmith, but it wasnt untill just recently that life situations have finally given me the opportunity to do so.

I am not scheduled to leave for school untill early next year, so in the meantime my question is this...

In Indiana does a person need a gunsmithing licsence to work on guns. I know I need the proper insurance for sure. I am just not sure what the rules or regulations are as far as actually working on guns.

If anyone has any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The "firearm is the part with a serial number on it. For example you can work on an AR-15 upper all you want as long as the owner keeps the lower that jas the serial number on it. The gunsmith that worked on my shotgun stock had me bring the gun in, then he made the measurements, took the wood off and sent me home with the rest. When he was done, I brought the parts back and he put them together while I waited. This saved him from having to check in/out everything with the Feds. To be practical, generally you will have to have a FFL and keep track of everything. Too bad the BATFE does not compensate you for all the clerk work they want you to do for them.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Good luck at gunsmith school. Im going to attend the school in Pittsburgh once my Military contract is up. A lot of retail store are now hiring in-house gunsmiths, to do small repairs for customers, like Big 5 and BassPro shop. More opportunity's are coming around now that the baby boom generation is retiring.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The "firearm is the part with a serial number on it. For example you can work on an AR-15 upper all you want as long as the owner keeps the lower that jas the serial number on it.

That's mostly true, but there's at least one firearm where the serialized portion is not the "firearm" portion. I'm trying to recall it, but it escapes me at the moment. There was a whole thread on here about it in 2009.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That's mostly true, but there's at least one firearm where the serialized portion is not the "firearm" portion. I'm trying to recall it, but it escapes me at the moment. There was a whole thread on here about it in 2009.

Is it the Norrel (sp?) trigger packs for a full-auto Ruger 10/22? (too lazy to look it up)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No, it was at least one specific firearm. The discussion came up when someone was talking about doing service work on the non-firearm portion of a gun (like the slide or the barrel) and whether they needed to be a licensed gunsmith to do the work. I can't find the thread now for the life of me.

Top Bottom