• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    So I am perusing the classifieds on there when I noticed a Illinois resident looking to buy a AR15 lower receiver from anyone on that Facebook page and he states that he is even willing to travel into Indiana to do a FTF. So I tell him that any Indiana resident that does a FTF with him will be doing a criminal act and that it should go to his FFL. Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The worst thing is when I told him of the legality issue in doing such a thing, he responds by saying he has done it before on there.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    He knows his state rules, [STRIKE]he knows you have to register your guns in Ill. [/STRIKE] (correction from melensdad). Ppl always talk about these "stings" I never hear about actual ATF stings where they try and buy illegally from a person. They might try and catch FFLs alot, but regular people? I doubt it. All I ever hear is folks that know of a guy who knows a guy who got busted in an FFL sting. Like boogey man stories. Of course we follow the letter of the law, heck most of us go above it by asking for IN DL, and/or LTCH. I just doubt the ATF wastes time going after little fish (ie regular non FFL holding folks).

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The worst thing is when I told him of the legality issue in doing such a thing, he responds by saying he has done it before on there.

That doesn't surprise me, either.

There's a big swap meet in Wilshire, OH every year. Not too far from Decatur, IN.

I'm CERTAIN that people I know have come home from there with guns. Of course, there are IN folks that set up and sell, too - as well as FFL holders / dealers. But the vast majority are Joe Schmoes.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    He knows his state rules, he knows you have to register your guns in Ill. Ppl always talk about these "stings" I never hear about actual ATF stings where they try and buy illegally from a person. They might try and catch FFLs alot, but regular people? I doubt it. All I ever hear is folks that know of a guy who knows a guy who got busted in an FFL sting. Like boogey man stories. Of course we follow the letter of the law, heck most of us go above it by asking for IN DL, and/or LTCH. I just doubt the ATF wastes time going after little fish (ie regular non FFL holding folks).

This maybe true about the BATFE but I wouldn't risk it.:shady:

That doesn't surprise me, either.

There's a big swap meet in Wilshire, OH every year. Not too far from Decatur, IN.

I'm CERTAIN that people I know have come home from there with guns. Of course, there are IN folks that set up and sell, too - as well as FFL holders / dealers. But the vast majority are Joe Schmoes.

:n00b:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    So I am perusing the classifies on there when I noticed a Illinois resident looking to buy a AR15 lower receiver from anyone on that Facebook page and he states that he is even willing to travel into Indiana to do a FTF. So I tell him that any Indiana resident that does a FTF with him will be doing a criminal act and that it should go to his FFL. Am I wrong here?

Facebook has a classifies section? Can you give me a link..

Thanks
    Dave

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    He knows his state rules, he knows you have to register your guns in Ill. Ppl always talk about these "stings" I never hear about actual ATF stings where they try and buy illegally from a person. They might try and catch FFLs alot, but regular people? I doubt it. All I ever hear is folks that know of a guy who knows a guy who got busted in an FFL sting. Like boogey man stories. Of course we follow the letter of the law, heck most of us go above it by asking for IN DL, and/or LTCH. I just doubt the ATF wastes time going after little fish (ie regular non FFL holding folks).

Randy Weaver???

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I agree this is an illegal cross border gun sale the guy is trying to do. He should be set straight and its possible that it could be a sting trying to trap sellers.

He knows his state rules, he knows you have to register your guns in Ill.
    Since when do you have to register long guns in Illinois? Some cities have had handgun registration. But I know of no state registration for long guns. When did it start? With whom do you register the weapon?

You do have to have a FOID card, but that is required BEFORE you can buy a gun.

So he believe that getting away with illegal activity makes it legal?

Or he knows the law and intentionally is breaking it.

In any case its good that you notified the guy who started the page about this issue.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Randy Weaver???

I can only comment from things I read on the internet about this man, but it would seem to me that being involved with any white supremacists gangs would be a easy way to get on the FBIs [STRIKE]sh*tlist [/STRIKE]radar. A facebook related gun post, I would argue is way farther down their list.

Is it possible the federal government goes after individual people that are willing to sell to this guy, of course it is. HOWEVER I doubt that this guy the OP is talking to is a government agency that is trying to get people to entrap themselves by selling to them guns through classified ads.

Since when do you have to register long guns in Illinois? Some cities have had handgun registration. But I know of no state registration for long guns. When did it start? With whom do you register the weapon?

You do have to have a FOID card, but that is required BEFORE you can buy a gun.

I once sold a rifle to a man from Chicago, we transferred it to his FFL. He told me a few things about the gun laws he is under (I didnt ask him if it was state or municipal laws or where he has to go to register or any other details you just asked me). I took him for his word and didnt bother to fact check him, some of the things he told me:
    1. He had to have his FOID card to do anything first.
    2. He had to have his REGISTRATION card with his gun/rifle at all times.
    3. He's not allowed to possess ammunition for which he does not own a firearm chambered in that caliber.
    4. He says violation of any of these are felonies.

He told me a few more restrictions but I cant recall them because my jaw was on the floor when he told me he couldn't possess ammunition outside for any guns he didnt own.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    He knows his state rules, [STRIKE]he knows you have to register your guns in Ill. [/STRIKE] (correction from melensdad). Ppl always talk about these "stings" I never hear about actual ATF stings where they try and buy illegally from a person. They might try and catch FFLs alot, but regular people? I doubt it. All I ever hear is folks that know of a guy who knows a guy who got busted in an FFL sting. Like boogey man stories. Of course we follow the letter of the law, heck most of us go above it by asking for IN DL, and/or LTCH. I just doubt the ATF wastes time going after little fish (ie regular non FFL holding folks).
    Ruby Ridge and Randy Weaver is a story EVERY American should know, as is Waco and David Koresh. You claim to know very little about it so I recommend HIGHLY that you do a bit more reading about it and perhaps take in a few movies about it. There is PLENTY of info out there. I for one consider Randy a true American Patriot and a Hero. BTW, he sued and WON, unfortunately this did not return his family....sorry, can't deal with this subject any longer, eyes are starting to leak.

Top Bottom