• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Here's some help to get involved if you want to. It's easy with links to the bills.
    [...]
    To kill the bill for the driver license stamp showing LTCH: Author, Gutwein, Road and Transportation chair, Soliday and your rep.
    To encourage bills for campus carry, Constitutional carry and the anti "Moms Need Some Action" bill: Author Lucas, public Policy Committee Chair, Dermody and your rep.
    [...]
    Respectfully,

While I am for constitutional carry in principle, having it here would likely eviscerate CCW reciprocity with states that have it (i.e. other states that will honor a valid CCW permit from another state), making it illegal overnight to drive to Kentucky while carrying.
    The other ideas sound good to me, although the usual hoplophobes are in full dudgeon about it - Gun bills threaten Hoosiers? safety

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    While I am for constitutional carry in principle, having it here would likely eviscerate CCW reciprocity with states that have it (i.e. other states that will honor a valid CCW permit from another state), making it illegal overnight to drive to Kentucky while carrying.
    The other ideas sound good to me, although the usual hoplophobes are in full dudgeon about it - Gun bills threaten Hoosiers? safety

Wrong thread. This thread is discussing HB 1029, which would add an LTCH endorsement to the Indiana driver's license.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That thread makes me weep for our country.

That's alright - you see we'll secede. I heard on INGO that's the solution to our of our woes.

Wait, this is a state law? That won't be fixed if we secede? Can I at least blame Lincoln for this?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I intended to reply with quoting to LockStocksandBarrels.
    Fixed it now.

I totally appreciate LSAB's direct "do it now" post and his example, but I wrote my own letters directed at HB1029.
    Constitutional carry is another issue best discussed in more detail in other threads.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    From Donnelly's form letter:

"I hope we can also have a serious conversation about mental health, particularly the needs of many of the men and women who serve our nation in the military, as well as veterans."

What the devil is that supposed to mean?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From Donnelly's form letter:

"I hope we can also have a serious conversation about mental health, particularly the needs of many of the men and women who serve our nation in the military, as well as veterans."

What the devil is that supposed to mean?

In Democrat-speak, that means, "I want to disarm as many people as I can of their personal firearms, especially military both present and past, because they might actually have the stones to put a round in my skull."

To be absolutely clear, I'm not advocating their doing so, I'm translating his obvious (to me) fear of people who know what the words "all enemies, foreign and domestic" mean and have the knowledge, training, and experience to follow through on that oath. He will continue to couch that in stated fears for their safety, given the military and veteran suicide rates. It is not suicide which worries him, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    HB1029 is dead. Dead. Dead!

:rockwoot:

Woo Hoo, now can we get together some bills that actually do gun owners some good?
    LTCH database is COMPLETELY private, not associated with ANY other database, including BMV?
    LTCH supersedes state and federal property prohibitions?
    Supersede some NFA, specifically suppressors?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    HB1029 is dead. Dead. Dead!

or as I saw via a friend of a friend (of a friend???? LOL) ... via Facebutt:

"State Representative Doug Gutwein (R-Francesville) issued the following statement in response to House Bill 1029, BMV documentation indicating a handgun license."

STATEHOUSE – “My goal for this bill was to protect personal freedoms. When pulled over for a traffic violation, your driver’s license is scanned and anyone listening to the police scanner will hear that you hold a handgun license. Although this legislation would protect gun owners from this kind of exposure, I realize some believe it would comprise personal freedoms in other situations, such as showing your driver’s license to buy alcohol.”

“Although I view this bill as a protection of personal freedoms, I believe I need to address the concerns that some people have in regards to this bill – therefore I will no longer be pursuing this bill. Instead, I have decided to focus my attention on public safety."

GOOD -
    And the road to a very hot, unwelcoming place is paved with good intentions.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    STATEHOUSE – “My goal for this bill was to protect personal freedoms. When pulled over for a traffic violation, your driver’s license is scanned and anyone listening to the police scanner will hear that you hold a handgun license. Although this legislation would protect gun owners from this kind of exposure, I realize some believe it would comprise personal freedoms in other situations, such as showing your driver’s license to buy alcohol.”

Well then: why not address that breach of privacy, specifically? There are lots of potential ways. For example: what is the need to return an LTCH hit when running a driver's license? How is it at all relevant? An LTCH hit should only be returned when running an LTCH. And then, since the LTCH is issued with a unique identification number, it can be run and reported by that license number, which removes the personally identifying information.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Since it's possible that others aren't following all of the gun bill threads, I'll leave this synopsis here and in the other gun bill threads.

Sorry if you see it elsewhere.

STATUS OF HOUSE FIREARMS BILLS
    1/15/15
    HOUSE BILL No. 1029
    _____
    DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL
    Citations Affected: IC 9-24; IC 10-11-2-34; IC 35-47-2-3.
    Synopsis: BMV documentation indicating a handgun license. Provides that an individual
    must indicate on an application for or a renewal of a driver's license, permit, or
    identification card whether the individual possesses a handgun license (license). Requires
    the bureau of motor vehicles (bureau) to verify whether the individual has a license by
    contacting the superintendent of the state police department. Requires the bureau to place
    a notation on the individual's driver's license, permit, or identification card that indicates
    that the individual possesses a license. Makes a technical correction.
    Effective: July 1, 2015.
    Gutwein
    January 6, 2015, read first time and referred to Committee on Roads and Transportation.
    2015 IN
    HOUSE BILL No. 1107
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 35-47-2.
    Synopsis: Handgun training and reciprocity license. Provides that a person who: (1) is at
    least 21 years of age; and (2) successfully completes a handgun safety and training
    course that meets certain requirements; may have the superintendent of state police place
    an identifying symbol on the face of the person's four year Indiana handgun license that
    the person may refer to in attempting to qualify for a firearms reciprocity license issued by
    another state or a political subdivision of another state. Requires the superintendent of
    state police to retain a copy of the person's handgun safety and training course certificate
    of completion for at least four years.
    Burton
    January 8, 2015, read first time and referred to Committee on Public Policy.
    2015 IN
    HOUSE BILL No. 1143
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 35-31.5-2; IC 35-47.
    Synopsis: Possession of firearms on state property. Prohibits a state agency, including a
    state supported college or university, from regulating the possession or transportation of
    firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and
    other structures that are; owned or leased by the state. Provides for certain exceptions.
    Voids, as of July 1, 2015, any rules or policies enacted or undertaken by a state agency
    1 of 3
    1/15/15
    before, on, or after June 30, 2015, concerning possession or transportation of firearms,
    ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the state.
    Allows a person to bring an action against a state agency if the person is adversely
    affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy of the state agency that violates
    this law.
    Lucas, Eberhart, VanNatter
    2015 IN
    HOUSE BILL No. 1144
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 5-2-1-9; IC 5-2-8-2; IC 10-13-3-40;
    IC 11-9-2-4; IC 11-13-1-3.5; IC 14-16-1-23; IC 21-17-5-6;
    IC 21-39-4-7; IC 31-30-1-4; IC 35-33-1-1; IC 35-47; IC 35-50-2-13.
    Synopsis: Handgun license repeal. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a
    license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes conforming amendments.
    Lucas, Judy, VanNatter, Ober
    2015 IN
    HOUSE BILL No. 1244
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 34-24-5; IC 34-30-20.5.
    Synopsis: Firearms on business premises. Permits a person to bring an action for
    damages against a business entity having a policy of barring possession of a firearm on
    the entity's property, if: (1) the person suffers a loss due to criminal activity on the entity's
    property; and (2) the loss could have been avoided or reduced if the business entity did
    not prohibit possession of a firearm on its property. Provides that a person who does not
    prohibit: (1) an individual from possessing a firearm on the person's property; or (2) the
    person's employees from possessing a firearm while the employees are acting within the
    scope of their employment; is immune from civil liability with respect to any claim based on
    the person's failure to adopt such a policy.
    Lucas, VanNatter
    January 13, 2015, read first time and referred to Committee on Public Policy.
    2015 IN
    HOUSE BILL No. 1494
    2 of 3
    1/15/15
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 25-1-9; IC 34-28-8.1.
    Synopsis: Firearm ownership and medical records. Prohibits a practitioner or medical
    records custodian from disclosing certain information relating to a patient's ownership of a
    firearm. Prohibits a political subdivision or the board regulating a practitioner from
    requiring the practitioner to: (1) inquire whether a patient owns a firearm; (2) document in a
    patient's medical record whether the patient owns a firearm; or (3) notify any governmental
    entity of the patient's identification solely on the basis of the patient's ownership of a
    firearm.
    Judy, Lucas, VanNatter, Morris
    January 14, 2015, read first time and referred to Committee on Public Policy.
    2015 IN

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just out!

Rep. Gutwein comments on BMV documentation indicating a handgun license
    EDITOR’S NOTE: State Representative Doug Gutwein (R-Francesville) issued the following statement in response to House Bill 1029, BMV documentation indicating a handgun license.
    “Although I view this bill as a protection of personal freedoms, I believe I need to address the concerns that some people have in regards to this bill – therefore I will no longer be pursuing this bill. Instead, I have decided to focus my attention on public safety.
    “The illegal sale of scrap metal has been a frustrating issue in Northwest Indiana and the rest of the state. I am authoring a House Bill 1060, which would make stricter consequences for failure to comply with the law concerning regulation of valuable metal dealers. Scrap yards who commit this crime will get three strikes before their license is permanently revoked. I am confident this bill will have a positive impact on our community and will work to fight crime.”

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Terry Goodin just emailed me back this:

Hi Lebowski. I read your email and am a strong supporter of our second amendment. I like the bills you mentioned and actually 1029 is a bill brought by gun owners because of the need to carry separate ID's. As you know, the concealed permit is a piece of paper and is not durable-- so it would allow folks to have their gun privilages placed on their license(hard plastic) if they wish. I dont think it will make it through because of the mis-nomers about the bill. Hope this helps. Chat soon, Terry

Top Bottom