• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Except.....they wouldn't have to even think about this until 2015 if they stayed in bizness.

Sounds to me like a management problem.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sounds like there's more to it than just Obamacare. I don't doubt that businesses will close, people will be laid off, hours reduced, etc., because of Obamacare. But making it sound like Obamcare is causing all the hurt in this business is just as disingenuous as Obama strategically choosing to shut down popular stuff just to make the hurt over the shutdown appear worse.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Seems to me they were struggling before Obamacare

It also sounds like they used to have more than 2 locations and had to close those over the years. I don't know the business and the only thing that I can think that might have any real impact would be the shared responsibility fee. It's $2K/full time employee if they don't provide a minimum coverage health insurance plan or refuse to provide one at all IF the business has 50 or more employees. Furthermore the first 30 employees would be excluded from this penalty.

There is an additional requirement that if there is more than 1 employee at least ONE employee would've had to have signed up for Obamacare and qualified for a tax credit.

For ****s and giggles let's assume that the business only employs 50 people and ALL of the employees are paid $20K/year. That's it, they're poor. If the business is making only enough money to cover wages it's still at least a $1 million business. I don't know of many businesses that are pulling in AT LEAST $1,000,000 in GROSS profit who aren't turning a decent profit.

So either the company isn't making profits and is still choosing to pay out a LOT of money in wages, the company makes a profit just not a sustainable one, or the company is making a sustainable profit and is just using Obamacare as an excuse to shutter up. I've never heard of Boon Ice Cream...if they're in wholesale I wonder who they're supplying it to. How could they afford at least 50 employees?

I feel like this is just an excuse to shutdown a business that's been on a slow, downward spiral, without looking like poor management.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I work in QA for a nation wide dairy producer, and my location has produced items in the past under the boonie doon label.

From what I understand, boonie doon has been struggling for some time...Profit margins are extremely slim in the dairy industry, this may have just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    For ****s and giggles let's assume that the business only employs 50 people and ALL of the employees are paid $20K/year. That's it, they're poor. If the business is making only enough money to cover wages it's still at least a $1 million business. I don't know of many businesses that are pulling in AT LEAST $1,000,000 in GROSS profit who aren't turning a decent profit.

lolwut

This entire paragraph fails so hard.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How did you draw that conclusion from that article?

You said you had never heard of them, then linked to a 2011 article that said they were a staple of the community with aspirations of opening a new store.

Do you want to defend Obamacare that badly?

Haha. I didn't even bother to click the link at first, but you're right. It says nothing of the sort.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    How did you draw that conclusion from that article?

You said you had never heard of them, then linked to a 2011 article that said they were a staple of the community with aspirations of opening a new store.

Do you want to defend Obamacare that badly?

Sorry, I had read a bit about it on Yelp, and according to this reviewer it used to have more locations. According to this article, it also appears they had another restaurant that shutdown due to the Mishawaka road construction.

Also this article says they're far below the 50 employees limit for Obamacare's policies to have any effect. Their being "uncertain" about the policy makes no sense, unless they did zero digging into Obamacare. Why are you so quick to attack Obamacare that you'll do no research of your own? I'm sorry I forgot to link some of what I Google'd, do you not do your own fact checking on stuff people say, especially when the website takes only pieces and chunks from an article and then spins it?

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    lolwut

This entire paragraph fails so hard.

No it doesn't. Gross profit doesn't mean what the business gets to keep. After your gross profits comes expenses...what I was saying was that if a small business was turning over the kind of volume to hit the $1 million in sales in order to pay 50 employees $20,000 per year, it's likely that business is probably pulling in beyond $1 million (they have additional expenses, such as raw materials)...especially if that business is making any sort of profit. I would expect any 70+ year old company to be turning a profit as well. If they're not then it's not Obamacare's fault and the company was dying anyways.

I didn't think I needed to explain all of this...

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    OoOoh, so if they're "making a profit" then obviously they have enough money for whatever, and we can take it from them for whatever we want. ☭bamacare may or may not itself have sunk this particular business (we'd have to have an accountant research it), but 1) it's sunk a pantload of them and 2) if they had had 50 employees, they would have been truly boned. That profit does run out, especially if they're struggling. Heck, they may have been struggling due to previous .gov regulations.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    OoOoh, so if they're "making a profit" then obviously they have enough money for whatever, and we can take it from them for whatever we want. ☭bamacare may or may not itself have sunk this particular business (we'd have to have an accountant research it), but 1) it's sunk a pantload of them and 2) if they had had 50 employees, they would have been truly boned. That profit does run out, especially if they're struggling. Heck, they may have been struggling due to previous .gov regulations.

Kind of what I said, I guess. The little Soviet Union symbol is stupid because Obamacare isn't "government" health insurance...it's private health insurance and not even close to communism. Perhaps you should learn some economics before you continue further in your debate?

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    No it doesn't. Gross profit doesn't mean what the business gets to keep. After your gross profits comes expenses...what I was saying was that if a small business was turning over the kind of volume to hit the $1 million in sales in order to pay 50 employees $20,000 per year, it's likely that business is probably pulling in beyond $1 million (they have additional expenses, such as raw materials)...especially if that business is making any sort of profit. I would expect any 70+ year old company to be turning a profit as well. If they're not then it's not Obamacare's fault and the company was dying anyways.

I didn't think I needed to explain all of this...

i think you mean gross revenue, not profit. Profit is what you have after all expenses (material, labor, taxes, etc.) are paid.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    i think you mean gross revenue, not profit. Profit is what you have after all expenses (material, labor, taxes, etc.) are paid.

Actually gross profit is before you pay taxes on income, payroll, overhead, etc. I was semi-incorrect in that I did not define the type of expenses.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Actually gross profit is before you pay taxes on income, payroll, overhead, etc. I was semi-incorrect in that I did not define the type of expenses.

No, you were just plain incorrect.

50 employees at $20,000 per year still does not mean a minimum $1,000,000 gross profit. Like Kirkd said, that's gross revenue.

And additionally, your statement of 'not knowing many businesses' with a $1,000,000 gross revenue not making a profit is absurd. You're welcome to provide some sources for it, if you want to maintain some credibility. But I think it's becoming clear how little you know about the business world.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No, you were just plain incorrect.

50 employees at $20,000 per year still does not mean a minimum $1,000,000 gross profit. Like Kirkd said, that's gross revenue.

And additionally, your statement of 'not knowing many businesses' with a $1,000,000 gross revenue not making a profit is absurd. You're welcome to provide some sources for it, if you want to maintain some credibility. But I think it's becoming clear how little you know about the business world.

Actually that's $1,000,000 in expenses. And that doesn't even include the other overhead costs it takes to employ a person.

Top Bottom