• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    Ok well I need your all help, I was discussing the law with a local city police and he was telling me that I was wrong on how I understood the law. Anyone out there that knows more than I do please explain. Can you carry inside of your work as long as your work knows of it and doesn't mind?

Diesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My employees carry. I don't know the exact law behind it. We often have had law enforcement come into the shop and talk shop about guns with the guys an never once say anything about any of my employees carrying.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Ok well I need your all help, I was discussing the law with a local city police and he was telling me that I was wrong on how I understood the law. Anyone out there that knows more than I do please explain. Can you carry inside of your work as long as your work knows of it and doesn't mind?

I carry, one of our managers carries... hell one of the owners carries.

We all know. Tell that cop he needs to re-learn about property rights.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Not trying to thread jack here, but I have a question along the same lines of the law that passed which allows you to leave a secured weapon in your vehicle.

My employer requires you to hand over a copy of your LTCH if you plan on leaving a weapon in your vehicle. I'm not sure I'm on board with having to let HR know what I do outside of work hours. -- What are your thoughts?

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Not trying to thread jack here, but I have a question along the same lines of the law that passed which allows you to leave a secured weapon in your vehicle.

My employer requires you to hand over a copy of your LTCH if you plan on leaving a weapon in your vehicle. I'm not sure I'm on board with having to let HR know what I do outside of work hours. -- What are your thoughts?

In my opinion you are giving too much information to your employer. Also, they are asking for too much information. I would not tell my employer I have a firearm in my vehicle. Just my :twocents:.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

That "What they don't know won't hurt you"...

-J-

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

I believe they are breaking the law... they are not allowed to even ask about it. I can't remember the IC, but it was passed last year and became effective 01JUL11. I know BoR will know which one it is off the top of his head.

SENATE BILL No. 411

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I believe they are breaking the law... they are not allowed to even ask about it. I can't remember the IC, but it was passed last year and became effective 01JUL11. I know BoR will know which one it is off the top of his head.

SENATE BILL No. 411

IC 34-28-8-6
    Disclosure of firearm or ammunition information to employer or potential employer
    Sec. 6. A public or private employer doing business in Indiana may not:
    (1) require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about whether the applicant or employee owns, possesses, uses, or transports a firearm or ammunition, unless the disclosure concerns the possession, use, or transportation of a firearm or ammunition that is used in fulfilling the duties of the employment of the individual; or
    (2) condition employment, or any rights, benefits, privileges, or opportunities offered by the employment, upon an agreement that the applicant for employment or the employee forego the:
    (A) rights of the applicant or employee under this chapter; or
    (B) otherwise lawful:
    (i) ownership;
    (ii) possession;
    (iii) storage;
    (iv) transportation; or
    (v) use;
    of a firearm or ammunition.

Guy

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Of course. Unless it's a place where firearms are prohibited by law, you don't even need permission from them to carry there legally. :dunno:
    ^^^^^^ Exactly correct.

Hell, I am sitting at my desk with my STI 1911, GSG 1911, BT99 Trap Gun, a co-workers Colt .25 auto made in 1916, and about 500 rounds of ammo. If the boss/owner/company doesn't care you are good to go.

Just always remember safe gun handling. I wouldn't pull it out or mess with it in any way unless my life depended on it.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok

this is none of their business;however, it does not make your job safe....i would challenge the legality of this since the car is not their property and they have no rights concerning it...

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

I believe the law was amended to address that problem. I think it now reads that employers can not ask about this or subject you to any harassment or job actions if you don't answer.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I guess that i need more information to answer your question. AFAIK, there is no Indiana Job Carrying Law. There is, however, a LTCH and there is the "Parking Lot" law.

Your LTCH allows you to carry where you are not explicitly prohibited from doing so. However, that is subject to the property owners right to ask you to leave, for any reason, including carrying. If you don't comply, then you could be charged with criminal trespass.

The parking lot law says that you can keep your handgun locked out of sight in your car in your employers parking lot and they can't do squat about it. They can fire you for whatever other reason they can come up with, but not that you keep a handgun in your car.

As far as carrying on the job, there is no legal protection to make an employer allow you to carry on the job.

Did this cover it? What was your interpretation of the law? I guess since i am not sure what law you are talking about, it is kinda hard to answer your question correctly.

Top Bottom