• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You make some excellent points. There needs to be balance. From what I have seen of local government and how rules are applied, a lot depends on who you are and who you know...

Exactly. I find dealing with problem issues, well, informally, a much better solution than allowing a situation in which I can become a veritable prisoner on my own property unless I have the right friends and the right influence.

This was the point made by Ayn Rand putting into the mouth of a character in Atlas Shrugged the words that it is impossible to control an honest man with laws, so when one needs more criminals, he makes them. While the goals are different, specifically in the case at hand using the law to control everyone else to one's own satisfaction rather than the more nefarious implications from Atlas Shrugged, when viewed from either perspective you end up in a situation in which anyone who does anything is a criminal at some level and may continue doing so at the pleasure of the government or conversely, may find himself on the receiving end of harsh punitive measures, all for doing things that should be complete nonissues in a free society.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom