• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Levan remembers an 89-year-old woman she helped train. At the end of the session, "she got up there and loaded her 9 mm and just closed her eyes" and asked Levan to put her hands on her back to keep her still as she fired.
    "We didn't care if she hit the target or not. The whole idea was, again, educating her," Levan said. "She really felt like she accomplished something, and she did."

Why they do this to beginners I just cannot fathom. It makes us sound ignorant and cannot help beginners.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I think some of you might be missing what the group is trying to accomplish. Many women are scared of firearms.Many women have never held a gun.Many women have never shot a gun.Expectations of accuracy (from this group in my opinion) push more away than bring people in. Women choose this sometimes as a way to even be comfortable with the fact guns are in their presence, let alone in their hands.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I had to chuckle at the mention of colored "headphones"... still, they DO look like headphones, so I can't fault that much.

Of greater interest were the quotes from Paul Helmke... he almost sounded pro-2A in them (almost)

Yes, I know who he is and what he did for several years, to the point that when someone mentions "president of the Brady Campaign", that's still who I picture; I would have to look up the name of whoever is doing it now, and wouldn't know that person if I tripped over them.

So when I see quotes like:
    One of the most common reasons women get into guns is for self-defense, said Paul Helmke, former president and CEO of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Particularly in the Chicago area, where headlines abound about homicides and shootings, there is "this perception that there's danger out there everywhere," he said.

"And if there is danger out there everywhere, you better be doing something to make yourself safe," Helmke said about why some people choose to get gun licenses.

and

Aside from personal reasons, there are some larger trends that affect who is shooting and buying guns, Helmke said. Gun sales and licensing tend to fluctuate around elections, he said. Especially in this presidential cycle, people worry that the outcome will sway gun laws one way or another, and groups such as the National Rifle Association can use that as an incentive to sell more firearms, he said.

Gun sales also tend to go up across the country when there are mass shootings, he said, such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012 or Fort Hood in 2009.

he appears to me to be addressing actual facts, not sullying them with opinion. I can respect facts. I know, the NRA doesn't sell guns... except for the ads in America's First Freedom for commemorative pieces, and of course the reviews of this or that, that someone decides is the newest "cool gun". Let's be honest, we all know that some folks buy for no other reason than that a gun was reviewed and reviewed well.

Overall, though, I'm pleased to see comments like this from Helmke, acknowledging at least the perception of risk and the proper approach to managing that risk. When the choice is to get up and face it, well-equipped, vs. cower in the corner wetting yourself... to me, the former will always be preferable.

Blessings,
    Bill

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had to chuckle at the mention of colored "headphones"... still, they DO look like headphones, so I can't fault that much.

Of greater interest were the quotes from Paul Helmke... he almost sounded pro-2A in them (almost)

Yes, I know who he is and what he did for several years, to the point that when someone mentions "president of the Brady Campaign", that's still who I picture; I would have to look up the name of whoever is doing it now, and wouldn't know that person if I tripped over them.

So when I see quotes like:

and

he appears to me to be addressing actual facts, not sullying them with opinion. I can respect facts. I know, the NRA doesn't sell guns... except for the ads in America's First Freedom for commemorative pieces, and of course the reviews of this or that, that someone decides is the newest "cool gun". Let's be honest, we all know that some folks buy for no other reason than that a gun was reviewed and reviewed well.

Overall, though, I'm pleased to see comments like this from Helmke, acknowledging at least the perception of risk and the proper approach to managing that risk. When the choice is to get up and face it, well-equipped, vs. cower in the corner wetting yourself... to me, the former will always be preferable.

Blessings,
    Bill

there is "this perception that there's danger out there everywhere," he said.
    Um. Doesn't the guy read the newspaper?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think some of you might be missing what the group is trying to accomplish. Many women are scared of firearms.Many women have never held a gun.Many women have never shot a gun.Expectations of accuracy (from this group in my opinion) push more away than bring people in. Women choose this sometimes as a way to even be comfortable with the fact guns are in their presence, let alone in their hands.

Uh, I don't think anyone is missing any points. There is a world of difference between expectations of accuracy and someone closing their eyes and just pressing the trigger over and over with little regard for where the bullets are going.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Cool with me, but let's give them suppressed .22s instead of closing eyes and firing blindly without regard to Rule 4.

I hope this got twisted around by the media and was not what actually happened.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think people who are new to shooting will accept just about anything a "trainer" tells them. This is also sometimes true of those who are not so new to the game. All you have to do be an expert nowaday is make a few youtube videos. There are good ones but...............

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Uh, I don't think anyone is missing any points. There is a world of difference between expectations of accuracy and someone closing their eyes and just pressing the trigger over and over with little regard for where the bullets are going.

Oh, come on. We've all heard about your accuracy problems. The first step is just admitting it, little buddy.

jotto321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    True, could have been quoted out of context, it is the Media afterall.

This was quoted out of context. Levan is an excellent Instructor. The lady in question had never fired a gun in her 89 years. She was horrified of the thought. The purpose of this one shot was to get her past her horror and fear of the gun firing in her hands. After she shot this one shot and understood that it was not scary and horrible then the work began of getting her instructed on proper stance, etc. But before that could even begin she had to be brought past her fears.

It's really sad that we as a community quickly jump to the attack before learning all the facts. Especially when we are drawing our facts from the Chicago Tribune.

jotto321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011

It was one shot. Where exactly did you come up with pressing the trigger over and over?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This was quoted out of context

Very glad to hear.

It's really sad that we as a community quickly jump to the attack before learning all the facts. Especially when we are drawing our facts from the Chicago Tribune.

It would be dishonest to say that we have not all seen some horrific instructors. We have all seen what was envisioned, or the "boyfriend" who has the newbie shoot the .44magnum.

Top Bottom