• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    Do any ingoers know of a source for limestone slab "seconds" I want do a little landscape project ,the only limestone around here is gravel.... I have tried to source some building salvage but not much luck. Thanks in advance.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You'll have to be specific when you ask for the stone, too.

You can get slab dimensional limestone - which is the real nice building-block type limestone or you can get the crappy stuff that was used a lot in the 60's and 70's as a brick-type material on house exteriors and on fireplaces.

Dimensional stone will be more $, seconds or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    2 states south Head over to Wilson County ie the Rock, although transport may be a bit price.
    I'd check the Bedford/Oolitic area of the state.
    This. For both. My company built an office building in Bloomington. We used Limestone because it was one of the cheapest exterior materials available. It can be dirt cheap down there because the material costs less than the transport. SO if you have a truck that will handle it and can pick it up, it should be pretty cheap, even for firsts.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Bedford area cutters will let you take away from their spoils pile for the asking. You might have to ask at a couple, some don't want the liability of someone out in their yards, but I've gotten truckloads over the years just by going to the office and asking.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dad hauled all the Bedford stone up from Oolitic when he built our house back in 1952. He got odd size stones because it was cheaper, but it meant a lot more cutting for him up here.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Lots of old abandoned quarries from Bedford towards Bloomington. Last time I went through there, there was all kinds of stone just laying around.
    Yeah, don't get caught taking any. It's still trespassing and theft and some of the places that own the "abandoned" quarries are serious about prosecuting if they catch you. Will you get away with it? Probably. But it's not free for the taking without permission.

Top Bottom