• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    A transfer a pistol from outside the State of Indiana requires an FFL.
    A Transfer face to face, within Indiana residents, has no restrictions other than age and felon’s and the like.

Indiana does not require the completion of a form for a private purchase nor do you have to route the transfer through a dealer.

So, if I were to purchase a pistol from someone in another Indiana city to my home also inside of Indiana and Provide a copy of my Drivers Lic and LTCH is there a requirement for an FFL when mailed or shipped?

Really have not been able to nail down a definitive answer

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OK by federal law at least...

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

But can't use usps for handgun

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I have come to the conclusion that it is best to Always use an FFL for pistol and firearm transfers.
    If you are talking about a firearm that is shipped you might consider that the path of least complications, but there is no need of an FFL or requirement for any paperwork for a face to face transfer between Indiana residents who are both proper persons as defined by law.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    A transfer a pistol from outside the State of Indiana requires an FFL.
    A Transfer face to face, within Indiana residents, has no restrictions other than age and felon’s and the like.

Indiana does not require the completion of a form for a private purchase nor do you have to route the transfer through a dealer.

So, if I were to purchase a pistol from someone in another Indiana city to my home also inside of Indiana and Provide a copy of my Drivers Lic and LTCH is there a requirement for an FFL when mailed or shipped?

Really have not been able to nail down a definitive answer
    Seems like a very odd thing to do ... purchase a handgun from an individual, then mail it to yourself. Why not just transport it home yourself? Maybe even stop by the range on your way home to test your new handgun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why the DL and LTCH?

if you don't know this person enough to trust you, why would you give that information and why would you trust them to ship it?

If you ship, it will have to be UPS overnight (because FedEx sucks), and that ain't cheap. Better to drive and make a mini vacay.

The other option is to ship to a dealer then pay for a transfer.

And if this is all hypothetical, then the short answer is that you can ship direct.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ok so I think you’re asking if it’s legal to ship a pistol from a resident to a resident?

Just think about this, once you try to add insurance (cause you’ll only be reimbursed for 100 dollars if you don’t) and you tell them it’s a pistol, they’ll make you ship it next day air (if they let you ship it at all) and by the time you pay nda and insurance, I’ll guarantee you it’d be cheaper to drive it than ship it (even at 4 bucks a gallon for gas)

Ups and fedex had policies in place making you ship items like that priority services (nda 2 day) because in those instances your package was handled by less employees (and actual employees, not contractors), for example, your ups air package was placed in a certain spot on the truck by the driver, when he returned to the shipping center, he or she unloaded it, then they went to another spot and all the ground packages were unloaded by someone else, and so on down the line.

In the case of fedex…forget about it! All bets are off on ground packages cause those are handled by independent contractors who buy routes and hire warm bodies to work for the contractors! But the air employees are actually fedex employees!.

And if your asking about shipping it to a dealer for transfer I’d contact the dealer before you do anything else, some dealers won’t accept guns from individuals, and some have special requirements.

But as I said, I imagine your going to pay more for shipping than actually driving to pick up the gun

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    To answer your question:
    There is no way to do this without breaking shipping company rules.

USPS: Handguns not allowed to be mailed except for government business: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

UPS: Firearms not allowed to be mailed between individuals. only to / from FFLs and gun manufacturers: https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...egulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

FedEx: Firearms not allowed to be mailed from individuals, even to an FFL: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

These rules are much worse than they were in years past. Probably FedEx and UPS going "woke". (It was always illegal for USPS.)

Of course, violating a private carrier shipping policy is not the same as violating the law. But if the item is lost / stolen, they probably will refuse to cover it, even if insured.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And this is Indiana, not Texas. Take a drive. meet in the middle. its not like you can drive 12 hours and still not be out of the state. We arent that big.

Hell, when we adopted our boxer we drove 2.5 hours each way. I also know of people who will drive that far (or farther) for the right deal on a car.

Just do it face to face.

Top Bottom