• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    As an Indiana resident, I've never been to a gun show in Illinois. How would buying a gun work? I know I can't buy a long gun or a handgun from an out-of-state individual without going through an FFL in my home state. What if I buy a firearm from an FFL in Illinois? And is it different for a long gun than for a handgun?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can buy and take possession of long guns from an out-of-state FFL but you must transfer and receive a handgun through an FFL here in your resident state.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I go over for work. I hate doing it but got to. Its sad to because it's a nice state outside the big cities. Lots of good hard working americans. Farmers and what not all discriminated against because of bad political decisions in the big cities.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I was thinking of going to Illinois.....not the Republic of Chicago.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    You can buy and take possession of long guns from an out-of-state FFL but you must transfer and receive a handgun through an FFL here in your resident state.
    Not just any state. We Hoosiers can walk out the door with a long gun in KY, MI, OH, and IL. Has to be an adjacent state. Handguns require transfer in all states.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Not just any state. We Hoosiers can walk out the door with a long gun in KY, MI, OH, and IL. Has to be an adjacent state. Handguns require transfer in all states.

He was referring to Illinois, which is the location in the OP. But it is a good idea to clarify for others, in case they are not aware.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

Not being argumentative, but what law are you citing? The ATF (federal law) does not specify "adjacent states"! I do think it was that way some time ago but has been changed.
    REF:
    [h=6]Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?[/h] A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Not being argumentative, but what law are you citing? The ATF (federal law) does not specify "adjacent states"! I do think it was that way some time ago but has been changed.
    REF:
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Would a "licensee's premises" include his table at a gun show?

This is from the Illinois State Police website:

"Does Illinois have a waiting period for firearm purchases and does it apply to private sales?
    Yes. Illinois law requires withholding the delivery of a concealable weapon (i.e. a handgun) for at least 72 hours and a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun for at least 24 hours. This applies for gun dealers and private sales."

How do they even have gun shows in Illinois?

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have purchased long arms from both storefront and auction houses in Ill. 24 hour waiting period is the only additional requirement beside federal form.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Not being argumentative, but what law are you citing? The ATF (federal law) does not specify "adjacent states"! I do think it was that way some time ago but has been changed...

Exactly. The old "adjacent states" restrictive language found in IC 35-47-5-6 was repealed years ago.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    REF:
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    Sorry. They changed the law while I wasn't looking.

Otis812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    IN-IL line
    Last time I asked to look at a gun in an IL gun store they would not even let me look at it without the state issued card, whatever it is called.
    Awful hard to have an Illinois issued FOID card if you live in Indiana. Illinois residents can't buy ammo without a card but you being an Indiana resident can buy it there with proof of residence...I.E. Indiana drivers license.

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    how do you ever get possession at the gun show?? buy on the first day, say early saturday and pay another entrance fee and pick it up on sunday??? so, sales on sunday could face driving halfway across the state to the dealer to pickup their gun...don't mean to be too critical, but what purpose does that serve??

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    how do you ever get possession at the gun show?? buy on the first day, say early saturday and pay another entrance fee and pick it up on sunday??? so, sales on sunday could face driving halfway across the state to the dealer to pickup their gun...don't mean to be too critical, but what purpose does that serve??

The purpose, is to make it so hard, you give up.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's nice to not live in IL anymore for exactly those reasons. Their gun laws are ridiculous. I won't ever go back there to buy a gun. You'll tack up extra money just having to transfer around to an FFL.

Top Bottom