• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It seems that Indiana is one of around 20 states taking initiatives to reform their crime sentencing policies. This article points out that "In Indiana, the average sentence for a drug sale is 96 months, but the average sentence for sexual assault is only 65 months." There is something seriously wrong with that. Hopefully this effort results in some steps in the right direction, punishing the violent offenders and not wasting our tax-dollars on non-violent offenders.

Indiana Rethinks its Sentencing Policies for Drug and Property Offenses

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    “Every significant aspect of law enforcement and criminal justice has been brought together in this project,” said Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels

Except for the ideas of Kirk Freeman; his aspects were rejected . . . yet again.:laugh:

Yeah, thanks, Mitch, but we've been telling you this stuff for years. Remember, I'm the guy that funded the bond study?

Long past overdue. I wish all deliberate speed to this commission . . . however, I have a few more ideas.:D

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    It seems that Indiana is one of around 20 states taking initiatives to reform their crime sentencing policies. This article points out that "In Indiana, the average sentence for a drug sale is 96 months, but the average sentence for sexual assault is only 65 months." There is something seriously wrong with that. Hopefully this effort results in some steps in the right direction, punishing the violent offenders and not wasting our tax-dollars on non-violent offenders.

Indiana Rethinks its Sentencing Policies for Drug and Property Offenses

is mitch tryng to shake down CCA for some more cash??????

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i think it is completely bogus that someone would be sentenced to more time for drug distrbution then sexual assault, but i do have to ask though, should it make a difference if your trying to sell five grams or five kilos?

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    i think it is completely bogus that someone would be sentenced to more time for drug distrbution then sexual assault, but i do have to ask though, should it make a difference if your trying to sell five grams or five kilos?
    Yes, same as if some immature kids hit a girls butt on a dare vs a violent rape.

On top of that, about the statistics given...Maybe Hoosiers go big when they do drugs, but still try to respect the ladies?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Yes, same as if some immature kids hit a girls butt on a dare vs a violent rape.

On top of that, about the statistics given...Maybe Hoosiers go big when they do drugs, but still try to respect the ladies?
    not a fair comparison though, its more like i only stuck it in for a second VS. it was long enough for full release. if the intent was to sell, what does the quantity matter?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have to see the details on this before forming an opinion. It could save the state money and it could also increase crimes like burglaries and muggings in these bad economic times as druggies out on the street are looking for cash. Just have to see how it shakes out.:twocents:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I have read the Pew report in detail. You can request a copy from the governor's office. Nothing earth shattering involved since it merely highlights issues that those involved and around the system have known for years. The worrisome component is the panel is comprised of people that are not necessarily in the courtrooms but involved at a judicial review or administrative level.
    It will be interesting to see which state legislator dives on the knife for essentially reducing prison sentences, lowering threshold requirements for specific drug offenses and likely making theft a misdemeanor and eliminating many mandatory sentences.

My gut take on it is to follow the money. prisons are big business and Mitch is a serious privatization proponent. Wonder who is going to fund all these new community corrections centers instead of prisons?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    easy fix, if you're in jail for possession of weed only without intent to sell, you get out and have non-reporting probation for the remainder of your sentence.

Look ma, more room for real criminals

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    easy fix, if you're in jail for possession of weed only without intent to sell, you get out and have non-reporting probation for the remainder of your sentence.

Look ma, more room for real criminals

I LIKE it! :D :yesway:

Focus on INTENT of the crime. Catch me with a dime bag, the above mentioned. But catch me with a kilo of blow and some baby formula with a hot stove at home? Lock me up bit time. I see nothing wrong with this scenario.

Granted crime is crime. I stand to imagine almost 2/3 of the California penal system would be cleared out if they didn't jail people for possession (not dealing) of marijuana. I understand other's reservations about legalization of marijuana, but it's becoming too difficult and too expensive to maintain a morality system based on one's (Ainsley's) personal investments being threatened some 80+ years ago and a campaign based on lies and invalid information... :twocents:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm all for rethinking sentencing policies. And calm down, I don't mean for the dopers...

602px-Lincoln_conspirators_execution2.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Putting aside the recreational narcotics debate, the only modifications I see that are needed are within the prisons themselves. Take away the free education and training programs, pets, cable television, fitness equipment, unlimited medical procedures and tasty food. Make prison punishing for the first time in 40 years and people may actually start to think twice before willingly going in. For many living behind those bars is a more pleasant existence than actually having to work for a living.

Make it suck for a change and we'll be renting out cells so the space isn't wasted.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Putting aside the recreational narcotics debate, the only modifications I see that are needed are within the prisons themselves. Take away the free education and training programs, pets, cable television, fitness equipment, unlimited medical procedures and tasty food. Make prison punishing for the first time in 40 years and people may actually start to think twice before willingly going in. For many living behind those bars is a more pleasant existence than actually having to work for a living.

Make it suck for a change and we'll be renting out cells so the space isn't wasted.

I agree 100%. Take away the flat-screen TVs that play cable TV for free, among other things. Some "recreational" items/programs need to remain in place for "officer safety", as much as I hate to say it, but the vast majority needs to go.

It never ceases to amaze me that one can go to prison and have all their food, shelter, medical, and schooling paid for. Meanwhile, I have to pay for everything, TWICE over as it's my tax dollars providing all these programs for offenders. It's enough to turn your stomach. :twocents:

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    I hope they extend all sentencing. I"M sick of this REVOLVING DOOR JUISTICE SYSTEM

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I too think policies need to be redone to reduce population. Feeding these criminals on my dime is not helping, and bullets are still cheap. Can't we get firing sqauds back in fashion, or nice reusable rope. Poisons and electricity are expensive, and I think to good for criminals. And we should definitely expand the list of things that carry a death penalty. Just throwing it out there, but politicians who waste my money should be one we add.

Then lets take away all there leisure, no TV, no gyms, no private cells, and no free on the taxpayer programs. Really if they did something bad enough that they were put in prison long enough for them to earn a degree, they should have just been killed.

And I'll tackle the recreational narcotics, those people should be killed too. They are illegal drugs. If the criminals can't get there fix on alcohol, or tobacco, then they need to hitch a plane to somewhere that it is legal and do it there, in my country it's still illegal. And changing laws to help criminals so they can do there illegal drugs is no way to make laws.

These people should be getting high on life, or get a significant other and marry them, life is too good to need illegal substances. But first and foremost they should think about others first for a change. And just not do illegal drugs on the chance they get caught, go to jail, and waste more of my tax dollars.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

+1, it's called prison, not vacation.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    And I'll tackle the recreational narcotics, those people should be killed too. They are illegal drugs. If the criminals can't get there fix on alcohol, or tobacco, then they need to hitch a plane to somewhere that it is legal and do it there, in my country it's still illegal. And changing laws to help criminals so they can do there illegal drugs is no way to make laws. quote]

:rockwoot: :yesway: :yesway: These dopes know they are braking the law and I don't feel sorry for them. I wouldnt mind seeing more drug offenders getting put on death row... it would do us some good to cull the poipulation of this lamebrains,. save us money to in the longrun

damn its a long night I wish I had somebody to arrest

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Here's another idea. Let's contract with Honduras or Guatamala and send our prisoners there to serve their sentences. Should cost about 17 cents a day. No time off for good behavior. No TVs. No lawsuits because the mashed potatos are cold. Those cesspools get to earn some of their Uncle Sam funny bucks. Double win.

Top Bottom