• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Indiana State University campus shooting leaves one dead, 2 wounded, police say | abc7chicago.com

Hey Guys and Gals this is two fold.

To me things just got scary real. Granted this University is across the state.

As a student at another University that has Two other schools basically on campus..

I am deeply concerned.. I need to be able to carry my gun!!!!!!

My Google kung fo has failed me. I can not find anywhere where in Indiana Code where "school" is defined as K-12 anymore. It might have been repealed. If anyone can find the code where school is defined at K-12 and Universities and Colleges are not a school Please post.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's in the FAQ...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187168

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

IC 20-18-2-16

"School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    School property is not the same as a school corporation.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lege_campuses_not_students-2.html#post3244749

But yeah this is what happens in gun free zones, and within a few hours he was already back to his hometown of Indianapolis. Students at the college shooting up the locals, on the by school policy gun free zone, as a student he wasn't allowed one in dorms or in his car or on his person if he or his car were on ISU property (like the parking lot the shooting was in). Terre Haute also had a shooting at a bar in the area @ 2am a few weeks earlier that both bullets missed anyone, that was followed up by a shooting the next day at an elementary school where the other person responded hitting their target, the legal gun free zone didn't help anyone there either.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana State University campus shooting leaves one dead, 2 wounded, police say | abc7chicago.com

Hey Guys and Gals this is two fold.

To me things just got scary real. Granted this University is across the state.

As a student at another University that has Two other schools basically on campus..

I am deeply concerned.. I need to be able to carry my gun!!!!!!

My Google kung fo has failed me. I can not find anywhere where in Indiana Code where "school" is defined as K-12 anymore. It might have been repealed. If anyone can find the code where school is defined at K-12 and Universities and Colleges are not a school Please post.

Not getting in on the carrying the gun or not but here are the mitigating factors on that shooting. An argument started in a bar off campus (right next to an ISU parking lot) at almost 3 am the subjects exited the bar outside and it was escalated to where 3 people were shot. 1 head wound and 2 other unknown. While the investigation is ongoing at this time it doesn't look like self defense. It didn't help the case that the shooter fled and was arrested in Indy but that will get figured out. On average the statistics say 80% of murder victims know their attacker. Not to mention alcohol and the time of day it was didn't help. So I wouldn't be too alarmed by conducting normal buisness on any collage campus!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not getting in on the carrying the gun or not but here are the mitigating factors on that shooting. An argument started in a bar off campus (right next to an ISU parking lot) at almost 3 am the subjects exited the bar outside and it was escalated to where 3 people were shot. 1 head wound and 2 other unknown. While the investigation is ongoing at this time it doesn't look like self defense. It didn't help the case that the shooter fled and was arrested in Indy but that will get figured out. On average the statistics say 80% of murder victims know their attacker. Not to mention alcohol and the time of day it was didn't help. So I wouldn't be too alarmed by conducting normal buisness on any collage campus!
    +1 If anybody knows ISU well, the Bally is "THE SPOT" for the party-goers... its a rough college bar right off campus... err actually, it's pretty much surrounded by campus (ISU property on 3 1/2 sides of it). I can say with certainty that it's not where I'd be spending my time at 3 am; those days are over for me.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    In 8 years of living near enough to the bally to go at any given time, I only entered the place twice. Plenty of other great bars in the Haute. (From my time) The Bally was a pretty sloppy place, and a total meat market. It's the place you would go to find drunk frat guys and out of town chicks who didn't know of any other bars around campus. I can picture them now; barely 21, getting blasted and stupid on whatever over-priced (and under mixed) shooters the waitresses were flashing in front of them, hanging off any guy with greek letters on his t-shirt, living the "college life".

In pictures: :n00b: :buddies: :alcoholic: :ladiesman: :puke: :stretcher:

My friends would go there when they were in the mood for a fight, because it was nearly a sure bet.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I spent more time and $$$ than I care to admit at the Bally in the early 2000's. It is more or less surrounded by ISU, as are some of the other former hot spots like the Terminal. Contrary to what some are saying, it wasn't as rough (at least then) and wasn't always a fight waiting to happen. However, there are a lot of drunk college kids in there, so lots of mama drama going on and fights over women.

Keep in mind this was a shooting outside of a Bar...not a school shooting.

It so happened that the shooter was an ISU student, and that it also happened that this took place in an ISU owned parking lot that was right next to this bar.

Had this happened outside of a bar in downtown Indy, it wouldn't have near the press, and it wouldn't have the media spin on "Campus" shooting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In 8 years of living near enough to the bally to go at any given time, I only entered the place twice. Plenty of other great bars in the Haute. (From my time) The Bally was a pretty sloppy place, and a total meat market. It's the place you would go to find drunk frat guys and out of town chicks who didn't know of any other bars around campus. I can picture them now; barely 21, getting blasted and stupid on whatever over-priced (and under mixed) shooters the waitresses were flashing in front of them, hanging off any guy with greek letters on his t-shirt, living the "college life".

My friends would go there when they were in the mood for a fight, because it was nearly a sure bet.

8 years for a bachelor's degree? ;)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is going to be the new trend in the news, if a shooting remotely occurs near a campus of any kind then the name of the college or the word school or campus needs to be in the title.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Pretty much how I remembered it. IMHO, really crappy bar, but it's close to campus so they get a lot of traffic.

Contrary to what some are saying, it wasn't as rough (at least then) and wasn't always a fight waiting to happen. However, there are a lot of drunk college kids in there, so lots of mama drama going on and fights over women.
    Guess it just depends on how you look at it. Fight waiting to happen compared to many other bars in town. Or not a fight waiting to happen compared to some of the bars/clubs in big cities.

I've been to the Bally about 5 times in my life but I couldn't even count the number of fights I recall happening there. There are always stories about somebody getting in a fight or getting arrested at the Bally. Not so much at places like Sonka's or the Copper Bar.

:twocents: Just my limited experience. I wasn't a big party-person so from my side of the fence the Bally looked like a fight waiting to happen and Sonka's was the perfect place to go have a few drinks with friends.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I spent just about all my time at the Terminal. Saw more fights there than the Bally.
    Do they still have pizza Fridays at the Bally?

The Copper Bar opened my last year of college. Had the best looking waitresses there.

Mmmm. Good times...

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    The point regardless of how this was spun was the shooting did take place on a college property a gun free zone. Doesnt matter if booze was involved or not. As a student on a different campus i am a night wl and usually go to bed after three am. It is not uncommon to find me riding a bike or going for a walk at those hours of the morning.
    The point is somone could have been hit by a stray bullet. Someone who was not drinking. Someone who does not deserve to die or be wounded but has every right to defend himself herself. or someone else.
    It is hard saying at this time if the three victums were drunk or even if the shooter was. Sure more than likely. But that is an assumption we should try to avoid. But the probability is high someone involved was drinking.

Top Bottom