• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    So, is anybody following the panel process of selecting the new Indiana Supreme Court justice?

In light of recent SCOTUS decisions re: 2nd amendment perhaps this new persons views should be explored.:popcorn:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have always found it curious the way most Hoosiers go to the polls each year and vote to retain the judges without really knowing anything at all about them. I always ask a couple of local attorneys for the skinny on all of them slated for approval so I know something about them. But you never see any information in the paper about them so most people are voting blind.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Yeah, it is strange. People get all ramped up about issues that may be happening in AZ or a thousand miles away but picking one of the most influential political seats in our State draws little to no press or general attention.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The Judicial Nominating Commission named nine applicants as semi-finalists for the upcoming vacancy on the Indiana Supreme Court. The following attorneys and judges are the semi-finalists.
    Ms. Ellen E. Boshkoff, Indianapolis
    Hon. Steven H. David, Boone Circuit Court
    Ms. Kiply S. Drew, Bloomington
    Hon. Cynthia S. Emkes, Johnson Superior Court 2
    Mr. Thomas M. Fisher, Indianapolis
    Hon. Robyn L. Moberly, Marion Superior Court, Civil Division 5
    Mr. Karl L. Mulvaney, Indianapolis
    Hon. Steven R. Nation, Hamilton Superior Court 1
    Sen. Brent E. Steele, Bedford​
    The Commission received thirty-four applications for the Supreme Court which will have a vacancy in September when Justice Theodore Boehm retires. On July 6th and 7th the Judicial Nominating Commission interviewed applicants at the State House. The interviews were open to the press and public. The Judicial Nominating Commission met in executive session for deliberations on the applicants. The vote on the semi-finalists took place in a public session.

On July 30th the Judicial Nominating Commission will interview the nine named semi-finalists. The Commission will consider those nine applicants in an executive session. The Commission will then vote on the final nominees in public. A press release naming the finalists will be posted to courts.in.gov shortly after the public vote.
    In May, Justice Theodore R. Boehm announced he would step down from the bench on September 30, 2010. The seven-member Indiana Judicial Nominating Commission is searching for Justice Boehm’s successor. Chaired by Chief Justice Shepard, the Commission interviews the candidates and will send the names of three candidates to Governor Mitch Daniels. The Governor will select Indiana's next justice.
    Media with questions can contact Supreme Court Public Information Officer, Kathryn Dolan at (317) 234-4722 or kdolan@courts.state.in.us.

As a side note, I almost always vote against retention. Kirk, do you have any favorites? I know 4 of the nominees from cases I've handled or from political ties. Brent Steele is likely the most pro-gun of any of them. The most disturbing nominee is Ms. Drew, simply from her application, IU counsel is always to be distrusted, and her references and previous employers do nothing to allay my suspicions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom