• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rollingblock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Morristown, IN
    If you haven't made a trip to this museum I highly recommend it. We took a guided tour this morning as a special group, and the history and architecture of this building and the displays are great. Seeing the flag that was carried by the Indiana regiment on the first day of Gettysburg, and seeing the bullet holes will give you pause. The building and the craftsmanship that have gone into it are outstanding,, the upper level room and the alter there should be seen by everyone that makes a trip to downtown Indy. :patriot:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I strongly agree! It is free, never a line and air conditioned. Head downtown this summer on a sunny day and spend an hour or two in there.

Also, if you have never seen it, you must check out the Civil War Museum in the basement (no kidding) of the Monument on the Circle. They have irregular hours but it is an amazing collection. I took my daughters in there one day thinking I would have to drag them through it. Hell, I had to practically drag them out. These two things are the most amazing places to visit in Indy and it is a big secret. Don't tell anyone.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was somewhat of a tour guide in downtown Indy for about 5 years. One of the tours I would give was around all of the parks and monuments from the circle all the way up through the American Legion area. The museum in the basement of the Soldiers and Sailors monument is unbelievable. I've spent many hours in there. Seems like every time I would go in there I would see something new. Sadly I have never been able to see the World War Memorial but I've heard wonderful things. Perhaps one of these days this summer I will make a day of touring monuments. Oh and the Scottish Rite. That place is gorgeous.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Another place that's interesting is the medical history museum on the grounds of the old Central State Hospital. It's a little macabre but fascinating especially if you're a medical person.

Top Bottom