Indianapolis burglars pose as police, invade home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Used Flat screen TV = $250. These people disrupt lives and risk dying over such petty efforts. Very sad.

OP: are you pointing out criminals are dumb?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Burglars posing as police surprise family in west Indianapolis h - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Seems to be a lot of poor thinking in this one... First, if the police need to get into your house, they're going to get into your house without you opening the door. Second, I don't think actual police will stand outside your door yelling "Police! Police!" until you open it.

Actually, since no-knock warrants are disfavored (particularly by INGOtarians), police standing outside a door until someone answers is pretty common. Keep in mind, there need to be either exigent circumstances (in which case, they don't wait) or a warrant. BUT, there's nothing to stop investigators from going up to front doors and asking to talk to someone. And no time limit for how long they can wait. :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Actually, since no-knock warrants are disfavored (particularly by INGOtarians), police standing outside a door until someone answers is pretty common. Keep in mind, there need to be either exigent circumstances (in which case, they don't wait) or a warrant. BUT, there's nothing to stop investigators from going up to front doors and asking to talk to someone. And no time limit for how long they can wait. :)

The local judiciary where I am disagrees with you on how long they can wait. The rule I see applied is that they may remain as long as any other reasonable door knocker would; they don't get to set up camp.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    And here I was waiting for a story about police officers walking in and stealing someone's wallet or purse...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The local judiciary where I am disagrees with you on how long they can wait. The rule I see applied is that they may remain as long as any other reasonable door knocker would; they don't get to set up camp.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an appellate case on that (although I'm open to correction).

My experience is usually that they don't wait long enough. ;) They get impatient and start doing things to gain entry that maybe they shouldn't do. But those are the cases that get published opinions. :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an appellate case on that (although I'm open to correction).

My experience is usually that they don't wait long enough. ;) They get impatient and start doing things to gain entry that maybe they shouldn't do. But those are the cases that get published opinions. :)

I don't know of an appellate case directly on point, but all the ones on the subject say that the police can knock and talk because anyone can knock and talk. The trial court rulings I have seen suggest that since it isn't reasonable for the guy selling magazines to set up camp on you porch, it isn't reasonable for the cops to either.

Top Bottom