• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oboy. And pull up the drawbridge when you're at home...

"While Diaz said the victim wasn’t doing anything wrong, he also warned that it is much safer to fill up during daylight if at all possible."

Seems like an odd comment for an officer to make?

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Don't gas stations usually have several cameras pointed toward the pumps? Seems like a bad place to rob someone to me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The victim, a man in his 40’s, told police he was at a pump closer to the building when a guy came up “asking for a cigarette.”

When he said he didn’t have any, the suspect “pulled out a silver, large frame handgun and pointed it at him at waist level and said, ‘Give me your money then,'” according to a police report.

No. The answer is always no. Don't let random people get that close to you at the pump.

Pull up close to the pump just enough so you can still open the door and get out. Leave driver door open so you form a barrier with the car, door and pump.

Stay by the driver's door on this inside of the hose while it's in the gas tank, not back by the trunk. This forms a second barrier that someone would have to hurdle to get close to you. Keep your head on a swivel and if someone tries to approach get back in the car.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Can't get the story to open, there are 2 Shell stations on 10th, one just by the highway and one 2.5 miles farther west, second is close to Ben Davis, any other locations mentioned in the story?

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    No. The answer is always no. Don't let random people get that close to you at the pump.

Pull up close to the pump just enough so you can still open the door and get out. Leave driver door open so you form a barrier with the car, door and pump.

Stay by the driver's door on this inside of the hose while it's in the gas tank, not back by the trunk. This forms a second barrier that someone would have to hurdle to get close to you. Keep your head on a swivel and if someone tries to approach get back in the car.

I'd never thought of doing that. Good idea/plan. I usually stand behind the trunk (SUV) so I can see more directions, but I think your suggestion makes more sense. I usually go to the pumps on the outside edge of all the pumps so there is nothing to hide behind. And as you said, head on a swivel.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    It was at the one by the RR overpass West of Ben Davis and just East of Country Club Rd.

Thats by some not very nice apartments, I don't stop at that one after dark, criminal probably lives in the apartments!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd never thought of doing that. Good idea/plan. I usually stand behind the trunk (SUV) so I can see more directions, but I think your suggestion makes more sense. I usually go to the pumps on the outside edge of all the pumps so there is nothing to hide behind. And as you said, head on a swivel.

SUV does pose other challenges though, because more than likely you can't see over it and someone could approach easier. I have a car, so I can stay on the driver's side and have no trouble seeing over the roof for a full 360 degree view.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Easy Peasy, keep your hand on the pump handle, when said assmunch approaches you, pull out pump handle, spray him down with gasoline, and DARE him to pull the trigger! OR, do all of the preceding, and light your lighter!

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    SUV does pose other challenges though, because more than likely you can't see over it and someone could approach easier. I have a car, so I can stay on the driver's side and have no trouble seeing over the roof for a full 360 degree view.

I still like your idea of having the door open as a barrier. I think I'll mention this to my friends that have cars.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Not for me. I shut all the doors and lock them. I do not want the bad guys to have access to my vehicle and its contents, namely my children.

That open door can also be used as a weapon, by slamming it shut on you. And if it misses, it isn't working as intended.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I think if I were in that situation, I would look at the guy and his gun and ask him what he is carrying. Obviously the POS punk would not know and just say something like 9mm. I would then pull out my 1911 and point it at him with the laser beam shining centrer mass and tell him that this is a real gun and you picked the wrong guy to screw with. Hopefully he will be smart and run away before the stinky stuff rolls all the wan down his pant leg and stinks up the place. This is just a story about an unarmed sheep that got robbed. As awful as that sounds, he should have been armed and aware of his surroundings.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You forgot to add...............when shooting said thugee, try not to hit the gas tank, gas hose, or gas pump where a round could spark a fire trapping you in between pumps and car door. Just kidding, great advice.

Top Bottom