Indianapolis should have a GREAT view of the shuttle coming in!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    The shuttle was delayed to land until tomorrow; you watchers up there in Indy should have an AWESOME opportunity to see a rare landing approach just before daylight!

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids for more info!!! Someone shoot me some pics; we might be able to see it here for about a minute or so, barely above the treetops, but it's going to come practically over your heads. They're also saying to listen for the signature double sonic booms!

I gotta admit, this is one time I wished I was in Indy....

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    There's a java applet that will give you the time for your area, along with elevation and direction, etc.: NASA - How to Predict Sighting Opportunities for Shuttle Landings

Just summarizing that information (definitely need to look at the applet for yourself to get the elevation and all of that, which the spaceweather.com site is really good about):

[SIZE=-1]Starting at (07:16) 319 degrees East of North, and ending at (07:22) 146 degrees East of North.[/SIZE]

EDIT: You'll need to be sure to change the "Satellite" to KSC237 (the first attempt for tomorrow, KSC238 is the second if the first is a no-go)

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    445784main_KSC%20237_cities.jpg

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    All I ask is a photo or two!!!!

At its peak, it looks like it'll still be 53 miles up... I don't think my camera would get much more than a brighter-than-normal star ... especially with all the light pollution around here. I wonder if our friend ever got that camera mount for his telescope.. ?

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    At its peak, it looks like it'll still be 53 miles up... I don't think my camera would get much more than a brighter-than-normal star ... especially with all the light pollution around here. I wonder if our friend ever got that camera mount for his telescope.. ?

I'm not sure on the altitute. What we're seeing as range is the distance from the coordinates the search was run on (I didn't put them in, just selected Indianapolis, so probably whatever they consider the middle). I suppose that would make sense that would be the range from that coordinate to the shuttle itself. For some reason I thought it was the range from the coordinate to the ground track at that time. Hmmm....:dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    At 53 miles, it should be just starting to get some atmospheric friction going. It might be brighter than you think.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One of my various keep me safe programs isn't letting the java app work :( Has anyone figured out what time it'll be over the Indy area?

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    From what I've seen/heard, it should be really bright; it is supposed to reach entry interface at 06:01:49 CST, and this is the point that it begins to interact with the atmosphere. By the time it reaches Indy, there's a good chance you'll be able to see it brightly, and with a nice tail behind it. Again, they also say to be listening for the double sonic booms, especially in your area!

Top Bottom