• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Hello INGOers. I need to ship a firearm from Indiana to Texas to JBI Armory for some work. Does anybody have any favorites on who to use to ship (UPS, FedEx, USPS)? Anything I should know outside of pack it carefully?

:ingo:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Most likely will be cheaper to take to your local gun store and have them ship via USPS for you rather than shipping overnight UPS/FedEx.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    bobbittle is right. Except for curious/relics, I believe your only other option is UPS ($$ overnight air $$) and they can only accept it at the main office...in Indy it's near 465 and 82nd on the west side.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always shipped through the postal service for repair work etc. Just shipped one out tonight as a matter of fact for warrantied repair. Called the company, they said send it however I like, USPS, UPS or Fed EX.

Just make sure to buy the insurance.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Um, don't let anyone mark your box "gun inside - please steal me"

An FFL can send handguns USPS. Mere mortals can send long guns USPS for a good savings over UPS or FedEx.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Contact JBI Armory. If they are any good, they will be able to tell you how how to transform your firearm into machined parts. Machined parts are not subject to the same restrictions as firearms.

I won't detail how to do it on ths public forum, the last time I did, I got slapped down.

But there are legal alternatives to shipping a "firearm".

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    UPS and Fedex are the only two shippers left in the USA that will ship a hand gun for us. As already mentioned here earlier by 96amair, the US Postal Service will no longer ship handguns, but they still ship rifles. I think UPS will now only ship handguns Next day Air, and you do need to tell them the item you are shipping is a firearm. They want the handgun delivered and out of their hands as quick as possible to reduce theft.

I just checked the UPS Next Day Air rate on 5 pounds from Seattle to Fort Wayne, Indiana. That fee was $89.56 yesterday.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Usps is not suppose to ship handguns. Only long guns. Hand guns have to go 2 day air and marked as a hand gun.
    You are correct in that USPS is not supposed to ship handguns, however Federal law states that no Package containing a firearm is to be marked or identified in any way that it contains a firearm. You must however notify the common carrier in writing that it does contain "a Firearm" at the time of posting the package with said carrier. Although I have received handguns via two day air, I can find no reference to any requirement for this in my ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide of 2005 (received with my FFL Collectors license this year.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The reason for the Next Dayv Air shipment has nothing to do with ATF regs. It is UPS that wants your gun(s) shipped by them via UPS Next Day Air because they want to reduce the risk of theft. UPS wants the firearm delivered to you or for you as fast as possible. There was quite a lot of theft in the past. The longer it takes to deliver the package, the greater the risk to find out a gun is in route somewhere. Thieves work hard at what they do to make a dollar. They have ways of finding out about these shipments.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom