• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    So last night after getting something to eat, I went to Gander Mountain in Castleton to get a pistol lockbox. Of course after hearing about the gun issues, I had to check out some other things in the store. First off, I want to say that despite all the negatives, the employees in the gun area at GM were very helpful. I had at least four employees ask if I needed any help with anything. Secondly, the store now feels empty. I think they used to have higher shelving or something? Maybe it is a lack of inventory, I'm not sure. The gun area has a very long display case now, but only a small portion actually has guns in it. The other portion is just empty.

After getting the box I went to check out the ammo. Only costly self-defense ammo was available in popular calibers. Some calibers had an OK selection, while others has only one. I only saw one brand of 9mm ammo. The prices are nuts, but at least folks could get something for self-defense needs. Anyone buying a new gun is just screwed if they want to give the gun a 100 round test, they are going to be out $100 or so just in ammo. If they can't afford that, they can only shoot about a magazine or so and just hope the gun works. I did notice that 7.62x39mm was on the shelf, and maybe I read the wrong price tag but I swear the cost was around .45/round? CTD has it around .70/round, and I always figured GM hiked prices just like CTD.

After GM, went out to Walmart on the eastside. I always check the ammo when at a Walmart, and usually I go during late morning or early afternoon. Sometimes we do go out on Sat. night. Usually, there is no pistol or semi-auto rifle ammo available. As I was going toward the area, I saw two guys and one guy was carrying three boxes. Not sure about the other guy. I get to the cabinet and there were three boxes of 100rnd .40, one or two boxes of .45, and maybe six or so boxes of .380. So I decided to get the three boxes of .40S&W, since who knows when this shortage will end. With tax, a 100 round box of .40S&W was just under $40, or roughly $20 per 50 rounds, which seems to be what prices were at WM before the shortage.

Top Bottom