• Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    As I suspected.

Armed man linked to Spierer case

Police Captain Joe Qualters said Friday that officers took the man to a hospital for a 24-hour detention as allowed by law and later were told that he had been released. He says the hospital didn't provide any more information due to patient confidentiality.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    If he was IDed, he is not likely facing charges and unless HE comes forward, no one is going to know...his doctor can't release their medical findings.

I get the HIPAA part. What I don't get is whether or not this man's rights are being violated by his detention longer than 24 hours. Although I don't hang out in parking garages and have more sense about my comments (alright this is debateable) I would not want to have my Constitutional rights taken away because a LEO or a shrink thought I was crazy. So I'm saying this guy either needs to be charged or be released. If he is found to be mentally ill, doesn't he still have a right to a lawyer and to a court hearing?

This man may well be mentally ill and I do think the LEOs had the responsibility to question him and even possibly detain him, but I believe the law is that he can only be detained for 24 hours. At least that is my understanding. So if they detain him longer than what the law allows then they can do the same to any of us. Where is the public outcry calling for the government to follow the law?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why don't you share how you would personally handle a person that demonstrates signs of potentially hurting themselves or others? The news is full of stories lately, of how James Holmes was reported by his psychiatrist to law enforcement.....and nothing happened.

How many others did someone "feel" might be dangerous that never did anything to anyone? Would you have them all locked away on the off chance they might actually do it?

There still needs to be some kind of proof that a person is going to commit a crime before you can do something about it. Sadly, that means that some are able to commit atrocities like these recent shootings.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    How many others did someone "feel" might be dangerous that never did anything to anyone? Would you have them all locked away on the off chance they might actually do it?

There still needs to be some kind of proof that a person is going to commit a crime before you can do something about it. Sadly, that means that some are able to commit atrocities like these recent shootings.

You're confusing incarcerating someone for a criminal act, with mental illness. I assure you that they are not synonymous, though at first blush, it may appear that the temporary loss of liberty are similar.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You're confusing incarcerating someone for a criminal act, with mental illness. I assure you that they are not synonymous, though at first blush, it may appear that the temporary loss of liberty are similar.

There is no constitutionally relevant distinction between the two. The latter reason just seems more persuasive, and so society seems to accept it more readily.

If this happened to you, you could lose your gun rights for life in the blink of an eye, even if you did NOTHING wrong and were NOT mentally ill in the least bit. There are few laws in our state as dangerous as civil committal.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    There is no constitutionally relevant distinction between the two. The latter reason just seems more persuasive, and so society seems to accept it more readily.

There were people committed to insane asylums even during colonial times. Constitutional intent would seem fairly clear when it is all boiled down.

If this happened to you, you could lose your gun rights for life in the blink of an eye, even if you did NOTHING wrong and were NOT mentally ill in the least bit. There are few laws in our state as dangerous as civil committal.

One must be adjudicated as mentally ill. Meaning that a physician doesn't have the final determination.....not to mention that mere suspicion by a LE doesn't cut the constitutional mustard to unnecessarily deny essential liberties either.

Why some people believe that every right as absolute, and distrust each and every action taken by government.......is beyond my comprehension. If some had their way, convicted felons within the walls of a prison would be armed, simply because of the right to bear arms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If this happened to you, you could lose your gun rights for life in the blink of an eye, even if you did NOTHING wrong and were NOT mentally ill in the least bit. There are few laws in our state as dangerous as civil committal.

We should all keep this in mind when we are stalking college town night clubs and laser ranging distances where only humans enter and exit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hey locals! Was it a city garage or one in a privately owned building. Either way you can ask to see the security video.

I'd be interesting to see whether I'm talking out of my ass defending the cops and security staff or if those who are blindly defending the nut job stalker are. :D

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I want to give this guy the benefit of a doubt, but he reminds too much of the creeps I deal with on a nightly basis in that area. So much so, that I have him pictured in my head wearing a cape, with briefs on over his pants. However, I give 0% credibility to the Herald Times, as they all they all too often spin and sensationalize the story if firearms are at all related. That said, common sense should dictate that you should not be traveling at least an hour from your home weekly, to sit in a parking garage with a rangefinder watching the entrance to the busiest bar in town, and start babbling to the police about the victim in an open missing person's case in the area you are staking out. Especially if you have 2 loaded firearms in your pocket and a loaded shotgun in your vehicle. I understand their could be a million reasons to why he was there: Hell, maybe he just wanted to see some hot girls. I have no problem with that. It's when your sitting up in elevated area with range finding equipment, loaded weapons, and act crazier than hell. To those saying "It's not like he had a rifle with him", I have news for you. 66 yards is well within the kill zone of a deer slug.

For me, this seems more like infringement on this mans 4th and 6th amendments, than it was his 2nd. While he was being held in the hospital, I don't see where search and seizure of the mans private property and residence were warranted until he was deemed unfit by a trained medical professional. Once again though, I feel like I have absolutely no idea what happened since everything I know is what the Herald Times is feeding me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, here you go. You decide.

Judge hears testimony on man who wants his guns back from police [log in]

Bits and pieces:

Whether or not the 56-year-old Indianapolis man is a danger to himself or the public, and whether he has a constitutional right to possess the guns, was the topic of a four-hour court hearing Wednesday.

But police became concerned when he started talking about missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer and asking questions about the investigation into her disappearance. Redington claimed he had met Spierer, two or three years before she went missing, at a shooting range at Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area in North Vernon, about 60 miles southeast of Bloomington.

Redington, who claims to have premonitions and impressions about things yet to come, said he was overcome with a feeling that something bad was going to happen to the woman he met that day. And he feels responsible, even guilty, for not warning her.

So he started coming to Bloomington on Saturday nights, keeping watch over the bar, hoping he would get a vision revealing what happened to Spierer in the early morning hours of June 3, 2011.

The detective said Redington asked a lot of questions about the Spierer case, which made his suspicious. “He said he was here looking for her, to avenge her, to assist in the investigation.”

He was diagnosed as having a schizotypal personality disorder, and was released from the psychiatric unit on medication and with a recommendation to seek psychological treatment.

They took the gun collection, which Redington said has a value of $20,000. Quite a few guns were found in his bed, some under the sheets and others under pillows. Redington said he keeps them up off the floor so his cats don’t urinate on them.

There you go.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    If this guy gets his guns back I'll be really, really surprised. He's in court in one of the most liberal medium size towns in America in front of a liberal Democrat judge. Not to mention, the paper said that the doctor was asked if he was fit to retain his guns and the doctor said he was a nice guy who only wanted to help but he shouldn't get them back, paraphrasing there a bit but that's the jist of it. He's fixing to get pretty well screwed out of about $20,000 or so, if in fact that's what his collection is worth. It seems the city should have to reimburse him somehow, like sell the guns at auction and give him the money or something. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen that way.

Like others, I also wonder how in the world they was able to obtain a warrant and confiscate all the guns in his house before he was even seen by a doctor?

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    See - All this talk for nothing. He seems like a regular Joe.

I do these sorts of things all the time.

:eek:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When all you have is the drive by medi version of an event such as this it is hard to form an educated opinion. No biased reporting here, nothing to see, move along please.

Top Bottom