• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    May not have been a uniformed officer? If this was at night it may have been hard to ID the person in the dark when you're in a lit garage.

i feel bad for everyone involved here but I blame the carjacker

Hah, gotcha

Just heard more on WIBC. They say the man is recovering, so that's good.

They also said both he and the officer perceived each other as a threat. ... wait, what?

Why would the homeowner see the officer as a threat? Are they implying the homeowner raised his gun in response to the officer arriving?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Was the homeowner a teen wearing a red shirt?

A minute later, officers were dispatched to the neighborhood with orders to look for the teenage suspect, dressed in a red shirt and armed with a rifle, and driving the stolen vehicle.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Some are saying they came in "silent." Obviously no sirens, to not spook the suspect, but does that include lights to not give them away? You can see those lights reflecting off of everything at night.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Some are saying they came in "silent." Obviously no sirens, to not spook the suspect, but does that include lights to not give them away? You can see those lights reflecting off of everything at night.

The po-po have to be sneaky sometimes to catch bad guys, no head lights or any type of light. Maybe the glow of of a laptop screen. Now the fire department will pull up into the front yard with every possible LED flashing while blowing an air horn.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The po-po have to be sneaky sometimes to catch bad guys, no head lights or any type of light. Maybe the glow of of a laptop screen. Now the fire department will pull up into the front yard with every possible LED flashing while blowing an air horn.

That's what I'm wondering. Does silent mean that they pulled up without lights going as well?

I know all about that fire department pull up. We do it in the ambulances too. :D It's just more fun that way. Especially when it comes over dispatch as "they're requesting you turn your lights and sirens off before you pull into the addition." Great! *leaves them on to the door* :):

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was watching the fox 59 news tonight. The homeowner has relatives making it a racial issue. I can't believe how stupid people are. It's not a racial issue, it's a stay in the boat, or drop your weapon issue.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not to smart on the homeowners part. Not sure why he would be running around a crime area with a gun in his hand after calling 911. Once you call 911 keep in mind you should never guess on the response time. It may very well be instant. One should also remember that units may arrive and you may not see them or hear them. I think once your loved one is safe and especially after you have made the call, use some common sense. I am willing to be this guy never makes the same mistake ever again.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not to smart on the homeowners part. Not sure why he would be running around a crime area with a gun in his hand after calling 911. Once you call 911 keep in mind you should never guess on the response time. It may very well be instant. One should also remember that units may arrive and you may not see them or hear them. I think once your loved one is safe and especially after you have made the call, use some common sense. I am willing to be this guy never makes the same mistake ever again.

You gotta look at it the other way too J. Why wouldn't a person have a gun, in-hand, after being the victim of a crime? Sure, the police may have been called, but you don't know how fast or how slow they'll get there.... especially if running silent.

Now assuming non-compliance, by the homeowner isn't an issue, I find it odd that gun owners aren't understanding the gravity of this situation, as it applies to legal gun owners. It is my opinion, that until police arrive, a homeowner has every right to protect his home and family.... actually, even after they arrive. In a era when more and more people are buying guns, and in a state that a very large portion of the residents have guns, officers need to understand that we are going to be coming into contact with them more and more. We can no longer assume that a guy with a gun at a crime scene is the "bad guy." He may very well be trying to do the right, albeit dumb, thing to maintain safety of his home and family. You gotta confirm who the guy is before you shoot him.... you just gotta (reminding, that this assumes there's no non-compliance going on).

I say this as a suburban cop. The IMPD guys have a much tougher job, and deal with a more "interesting" clientele. But I have dealt with lots of morons running around their properties with guns after being victimized. But I wan to stress, that we try not to shoot, tase, or tackle anyone, unless they give a reason to do so.... we just take people to jail that blow all zeros ***sigh***

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was watching the fox 59 news tonight. The homeowner has relatives making it a racial issue. I can't believe how stupid people are. It's not a racial issue, it's a stay in the boat, or drop your weapon issue.

I didn't even know there was a racial element to it until you mentioned it. I'd just assumed both people involved (cop and homeowner) were white.

But now that you mentioned this, I can see the eggshells lying around that I couldn't see before.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You gotta look at it the other way too J. Why wouldn't a person have a gun, in-hand, after being the victim of a crime? Sure, the police may have been called, but you don't know how fast or how slow they'll get there.... especially if running silent.

Now assuming non-compliance, by the homeowner isn't an issue, I find it odd that gun owners aren't understanding the gravity of this situation, as it applies to legal gun owners. It is my opinion, that until police arrive, a homeowner has every right to protect his home and family.... actually, even after they arrive. In a era when more and more people are buying guns, and in a state that a very large portion of the residents have guns, officers need to understand that we are going to be coming into contact with them more and more. We can no longer assume that a guy with a gun at a crime scene is the "bad guy." He may very well be trying to do the right, albeit dumb, thing to maintain safety of his home and family. You gotta confirm who the guy is before you shoot him.... you just gotta (reminding, that this assumes there's no non-compliance going on).

I say this as a suburban cop. The IMPD guys have a much tougher job, and deal with a more "interesting" clientele. But I have dealt with lots of morons running around their properties with guns after being victimized. But I wan to stress, that we try not to shoot, tase, or tackle anyone, unless they give a reason to do so.... we just take people to jail that blow all zeros ***sigh***

Oh I agree with you 100%. Where I work it is very common to take calls where the caller is armed. Most usually we do not think about it that much or at least as much as you guys probably do in the big city. Our clientele have (for the most part) still have some level of respect for LE. But we still have the nut jobs. I was placing a person known to me under arrest for DV. He decided to present a gun after I went hands on with him and promptly shot himself in the gut while I had him in a headlock from behind. One just never knows what kind of crazy crap some of these people are capable of. Hoping everything works out well for both parties involved in this incident.

Oh and yea I am not going to shoot someone with a gun just because they have a gun. Not saying that is what happened on this case but still.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That didn't take long.

Longer than I expected actually.

Yes, the bar is pretty low. I dont have a very optimistic view of society anymore. *sigh*

The only bright side is our community is pretty understanding and the tension is much lower than other places. Thank God we dont have near the crap that places like Baltimore, Ferguson, Milwaukee, etc. do.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was watching the fox 59 news tonight.

I'm surprised the media didn't take care of that with their very first coverage. This country has demonstrated over and over again that introducing the race card into any situation insures that all common sense and reason will be completely ignored from that point forward.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I'm surprised the media didn't take care of that with their very first coverage. This country has demonstrated over and over again that introducing the race card into any situation insures that all common sense and reason will be completely ignored from that point forward.

I am so sick and tired of all the race crap these days. People with common sense know that race doesn't matter anymore.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Not always true about the fire dept. Most times we stage until the scene is safe... several blocks away and we typically turn the lights off.... at least where I work... east side indy. The siren goes quiet even more blocks away.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I am so sick and tired of all the race crap these days. People with common sense know that race doesn't matter anymore.

Ah yes, the misnamed Common Sense, the 7th Sense, more rare than 6th Sense, so rare now it's a super power. We are apparently expecting too much from people.

Top Bottom