Indy prosecutor seeks death penalty in shooting death of IMPD Officer Perry Renn

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can't be true. the system doesn't work. Saw it on INGO.
    I'm not sure this will stand. Its been a LONG time since I was in this world, but having a death-eligible defendant "get better" for trial is something that most defense attorneys wouldn't really allow.

Attorney: "If you stop receiving this treatment, they can't execute you. If you will live longer (on average) if you stay crazy."
    Defendant: "Cancel my doctor appointments."

Having all 4 doctors say he's not competent means the judge will have to have pretty strong support for finding him competent.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Does Indiana have cases setting forth how to comply with Sell v. U.S.​?

[edited to ask better question]
    Not that I recall. When I was doing it, we didn't have the opportunity because there was always evidence of competence. I don't think we ever got blanked with the mental health experts. (And, honestly, if the State's own experts said he was incompetent, that's a REALLY bad day.)

In terms of Sell and forced medication, the closest I can remember is Joe Corcoran who alternated between waiving his appeals, then wanting them. I'm not sure what the current state of it is. My suspicion is that we'd adopt the Sell framework.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He has been documented as telling family and friends that he’s tormented by demons, he’s deeply suspicious of the world, and that he could be considered a conspiracy theorist.

So, his INGO screen name is . . . ?

he told them he believed that God was his attorney

Do what I can. Did have that bad search win at the Court of Appeals last week, but I don't know about God.

Top Bottom