• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Couldn't get the wife to agree to day walking through Mammoth Cave in route to St. Louis so it looks like drive across everyone's favorite State of Illinois...

I saw bunch of chatter than some portions of revised Gun Laws for IL passed but with no other updates I wanted to get some insight before we had out in a week or so...

Intent is to stop in Terre Haute for the boys and wife to use the facilities, and for me to get a serious Nicotine fix before we hit the IL Line and to do it non-stop across IL...

Have LTCH so no concerns in IN or MO end as MO recognizes Indiana's permit.

Am I OK with Beretta unloaded then in Factory Hard Case in back of Expedition with Mags in suit case? See some confusion (as is case with most IL related garbage) about if the case needs to be locked or not, so worst case considered chucking my Wife's SR22 Lock (Overgrown Pad Lock) through carry handle on my factory Beretta case just to be safe...

Any other issues to be aware of?? Also if in this out of reach, cased or even cased/locked setup would there be any issues should we need to make a stop in IL for any reason so long as gun/mags/case is not touched in any way?

:ingo:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yep. Just make sure you have your LTCH, as that acts like an FOID for you in Illinois.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If I'm an IN resident and wanted to buy a firearm or ammo in IL, I would need an LTCH?

You shouldn't need a darn thing, but some people report IL businesses refusing to sell ammo to folks from IN no matter what ID/DL/LTCH you show them. Some people are just foolish...

OP, you've got all the info you need from the responses and the linked threads, but about a year ago I went and printed off the IL court decision that specifically covered an IN resident traveling through IL and stuck it in my glovebox. It's overkill, but you might consider doing it anyway.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    OP, you've got all the info you need from the responses and the linked threads, but about a year ago I went and printed off the IL court decision that specifically covered an IN resident traveling through IL and stuck it in my glovebox. It's overkill, but you might consider doing it anyway.

This is a great idea.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If you take your family to the Arch and decide to go into the museum there, make sure you don't have ANYTHING on you that is firearm related, i.e. firearm, magazine, ammo, or parts thereof. Knives, verbotten! Mace, verbotten! I ended up having to wait outside while the family went into the museum as I had a cartridge in one of my cargo shorts pockets, a pocketknife, and holding onto my son's girlfriends Mace on her keychain.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    If you take your family to the Arch and decide to go into the museum there, make sure you don't have ANYTHING on you that is firearm related, i.e. firearm, magazine, ammo, or parts thereof. Knives, verbotten! Mace, verbotten! I ended up having to wait outside while the family went into the museum as I had a cartridge in one of my cargo shorts pockets, a pocketknife, and holding onto my son's girlfriends Mace on her keychain.

Definitely heard the Arch (anything inside it) was offlimits for any weapons... I believe same for Riverboat Tour so I heard...

Figure trip back parking garage before walking around downtown will be in order...

:ingo: Thanks for all the feedback

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I know I'm a week late, but I'm making the same trip this weekend. As far as I can tell, if you have a LTCH you can carry anywhere in MO.

In the MO police carry FAQ and in the MO code it lists all these places you can't carry. However, it states in 571.107. 2 that if you have a LTCH then carrying into the restricted places in not a criminal act. You may be asked to leave and if you don't leave you get fined ect.

BUT, oddly buses are a big no no. It's a felony to carry on a bus per 578.305. 4.

Can anyone confirm any this? Here are my sources:

Section 571-107 Endorsement does not authorize conceale

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Section 578-305 Bus hijacking, definition, penalty--ass

lrhochgesang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Jasper, IN
    just went to STL last weekend so heres the scoop....travelling through IL, u should be fine with how your opening post stated (that's what I did) but when you get to STL, no concealed weapons allowed on the MetroLink, No concealed weapons allowed inside arch (they do run you through metal detectors and x-ray stuff) but they do allow pocket knives as long as they are not spring assisted or auto and blades must be 4in or less, they also don't allow pepper spray or mace inside the arch. no firearms inside Busch Stadium but a small pocket knife should be fine....

enjoy your trip!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Purdue Country Rural Attica
    I know I'm a week late, but I'm making the same trip this weekend. As far as I can tell, if you have a LTCH you can carry anywhere in MO.

In the MO police carry FAQ and in the MO code it lists all these places you can't carry. However, it states in 571.107. 2 that if you have a LTCH then carrying into the restricted places in not a criminal act. You may be asked to leave and if you don't leave you get fined ect.

BUT, oddly buses are a big no no. It's a felony to carry on a bus per 578.305. 4.

Can anyone confirm any this? Here are my sources:

Section 571-107 Endorsement does not authorize conceale

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Section 578-305 Bus hijacking, definition, penalty--ass

just went to STL last weekend so heres the scoop....travelling through IL, u should be fine with how your opening post stated (that's what I did) but when you get to STL, no concealed weapons allowed on the MetroLink, No concealed weapons allowed inside arch (they do run you through metal detectors and x-ray stuff) but they do allow pocket knives as long as they are not spring assisted or auto and blades must be 4in or less, they also don't allow pepper spray or mace inside the arch. no firearms inside Busch Stadium but a small pocket knife should be fine....

enjoy your trip!!!

Glad I found this thread. I'm making the same trip soon. A big thanks to the OP for starting this discussion, and to everyone who responded!

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Just an FYI..

http://www.ilsheriff.org/images/stories/press/housebill183.pdf

Non-residents will have limited ability to carry in Illinois, and in some cases, may apply for a CCL.
    A non-resident able to carry in their home state may carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle while travelling in Illinois.
    A non-resident from a state with substantially similar requirements would be eligible for non-resident CCL. Non-resident applicants must submit a fee of $300 ($250 to the ISP Firearm Services Fund, $40 to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and $10 to the State Crime Laboratory Fund).

So while traveling and in your car your ok from the way I take it, but if you get out you would be in trouble..

TJ

Top Bottom