• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    My opinion: Darwinism will take over. they'll kill off half of themselves, the other half will be in jail. To me, it's a self correcting problem. Stay away from the known areas, it's not exactly a big surprise where, be vigilant in your self awareness and your surroundings and move on.
    Problem is they reproduce at a faster rate

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Given the context of their other posts, I'm fairly certain we are talking about non-violent drug possession charges.

Here's a fun little chart:

693px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png

That big spike coincides with the ramp up of the War on Drugs. Another interesting note is that while violent crime and murder were rising in the US during that time, those spike in the mid-90s and have been falling since then. Yet our incarceration rates continue their meteoric rise. Those being incarcerated are disproportionately African Americans, with them making up only about 14% of the population and yet 40% of the prison population. Hispanics are also overly represented in our prisons.

There is something fundamentally broken with our justice system and the War on Drugs is at the core of the problem. If you want law enforcement to focus on reducing violence, end the War on Drugs and let them focus on actual violence, not some stupid kid slinging pot to get by.
    Numbers are fun, but your chart also shows crime beginning to spike at the same time crack cocaine becomes widely available in the inner cities....

Plus, it's just as easy to say that the reason rates have fallen since 93 is because of the increased incarceration rates.

I don't think most libertarians limit the definition of prohibition to simply drug offenses. I want to know 88gt's definition as I'm answering her question.

Last edited:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When my father worked in Turkey, he recalled hearing of very little crime. He also witnessed public castrations, public hangings, etc. Apparently, the punishment must be something so horrible that very few will risk committing crimes. I'm OK with this.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When my father worked in Turkey, he recalled hearing of very little crime. He also witnessed public castrations, public hangings, etc. Apparently, the punishment must be something so horrible that very few will risk committing crimes. I'm OK with this.
    Pesky 8th Amendment. I suggest we have a Constitutional Convention to open up that outdated document and make those changes that allows us to LEGALLY do those things. Who's with me?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am for greater and more sever punishment. Let it fit rhe crime. Selling Krak is one thing. Shooting up a house over a drug deal is so much more severe and demands a severe punishment. Victomless crime is not something I see in the sales and collection surrounding "Hard" drugs. Cannabis and such is one thing. Hard drugs is a whole different deal.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    The simple fact of the matter is there is not just one simple answer for the problem. It will take many different things to help solve the problem but something I believe is that the criminal mindset doesn't start at the age of adulthood, it is something that starts way before then. I believe a good start to help deter crime is a good family structure but lets face it, family values are and have been a fading thing as generations go by.

It's a fact that most juvenile offenders get off with just a slap on the wrist and this does nothing to deter them from committing crime again or deter them from committing bigger crimes later on down the road when they are adults. I have often heard people say that they would like to see the parents held responsible and to me this doesn't seem like a bad idea, of course this would have to be within reason, like for repeat offenders or something like that.

Something that I would like to throw out there for discussion is the idea of in fact holding the parents responsible as well as the youth in some of these cases were it's obvious the parents are not doing their jobs, and giving the parents the option of avoiding prosecution by allowing the state to place their children in a military type program until they are the age of 18. Then after the juvenile turns 18 they will be required to do a set amount of time in the military to repay back the cost the state spends rehabilitating them as juveniles. Of course this would be for the ones that are obviously heading down the wrong road, repeat offender types. Lets say the ones that would probably be incarcerated until they are past the age of 18 or 21 anyways.

Now before everyone say "who's going to pay for this" keep in mind that I suggest requiring them to remain in the military past the age of 18 to re-pay their debt. Also It seems to me that a military style program would do a much better job of raising these kids then the parents that are failing, in return lowering the chances 'We the People' will have to pay for them to sit in jail for 20 - 30 years of their adult lives.

Maybe this idea can be tweaked some hear and there? I don't know. It's just a thought. Ideas INGO?

Something I would also like to see is more sentencing people to serve in the military for some of the lesser non-violent crimes. I have heard of this this somewhere before and if true maybe it should happen more. This would help free up some of the prison system for some of the more aggressive type crime.

And as some people have already said maybe Colorado is on the right track, if they are that would to help reduce overflowing in the prison system. Time will tell.

Anyways, have a good one,

Jaredjosh

Being a Veteran, I for one do not want people who are forced into the military to be my brothers in arms.
    Just my :twocents:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    In many threads about Chicago's politics and violence, it's been posted, "they deserve it since they chose to live there." Isn't the same true for those who choose to live in and in close vicinity to Indianapolis? If you don't like it shouldn't you just move? I don't agree with that reasoning, but if it's true for some, shouldn't it be the same for all?

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Don't let the local, liberal media convince you that Indianapolis is in dire despair. That's what they want you to think. In reality, Indy is doing far better than cities of comparable size in the Midwest. Want to see real problems? Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh.....go there if you want to see desperate conditions. Indianapolis, and Indiana, are the fiscal envy of the nation. Our crime rate is noticeably lower than any other city our size in America. So many of the problems that have become a way of life in many places hasn't even begun here yet.

There is work to be done, no doubt, but don't let the self-serving, liberal, Democrat supporting local media convince you that some sort of "change" is needed. That's exactly the thought process they are trying to foster.

It isn't that bad here. Relax.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In many threads about Chicago's politics and violence, it's been posted, "they deserve it since they chose to live there." Isn't the same true for those who choose to live in and in close vicinity to Indianapolis? If you don't like it shouldn't you just move? I don't agree with that reasoning, but if it's true for some, shouldn't it be the same for all?

Sure, you can "but for" yourself into those conclusions but collective guilt outside of Training Platoon 101 is always leads to a bad road to go down.

Bogan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013

You obviously have not been paying attention to the gist of this thread. It's pretty obvious the problem is The Negro. Look at these statements:

-re-focus resources on the ROOTS of the problem
    -black on black epidemic of violence. The out of wedlock birth rate amongst blacks is 70%+.
    -INDY Movers & Shakers wanted Cultural Diversity
    -in the US, it's largely focused on a single racial group
    -They're making babies way faster than they're dying.
    -I'm reminded of the immortal words of former Detroit Mayor Coleman Young: "Whitey! You brung us here, so's you gots ta feeds us."
    -Not likely! Those individuals rarely consider the consequences of their actions. From my observations they live in the moment without regard for the next hour or day.
    -Problem is they reproduce at a faster rate

So obviously, get rid of The Negro and crime will disappear.

But hey, to conservatives calling people racist is racist, right?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Sure, you can "but for" yourself into those conclusions but collective guilt outside of Training Platoon 101 is always leads to a bad road to go down.

So, should people simply move if they are in despair about the violence or follow Bravo-4-2's advice above?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When we were in the process of moving out of the burbs and to the woods our neighbor two doors down was shot and robbed in a home invasion. It hit hard that the last two numbers of our addresses were the same numbers reversed. Crime wasn't common but when it's close it's scary.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Pesky 8th Amendment. I suggest we have a Constitutional Convention to open up that outdated document and make those changes that allows us to LEGALLY do those things. Who's with me?
    What constitutes cruel and unusual is pretty open to interpretation. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't let the local, liberal media convince you that Indianapolis is in dire despair. That's what they want you to think. In reality, Indy is doing far better than cities of comparable size in the Midwest. Want to see real problems? Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh.....go there if you want to see desperate conditions. Indianapolis, and Indiana, are the fiscal envy of the nation. Our crime rate is noticeably lower than any other city our size in America. So many of the problems that have become a way of life in many places hasn't even begun here yet.

There is work to be done, no doubt, but don't let the self-serving, liberal, Democrat supporting local media convince you that some sort of "change" is needed. That's exactly the thought process they are trying to foster.

But it is getting worse. Not sure where you live but it gets a bit crazy around here at times.
    And no, I am not moving because I am scared. I am not moving period.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, should people simply move if they are in despair about the violence or follow Bravo-4-2's advice above?

Flight from an area is what causes the area to degenerate.
    When busing was put in place locally (1965 I think) people fled the area in droves. Brownsburg tripled in size almost over night as did Avon. Eagledale was swamped with rental property and that is what started the downturn. It has been a roller coaster ride ever since. Up and down until recently.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I agree 100%. I've worked the east side of Indy for the last 12 years. I've was born and raised out here. I live and raising a family out here and we have no plans to move. Indy is about as small of a city that we'd live in. Scaring the viewers is good for ratings.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield

Not that bad? Sure, it's not yet Chicago or Detroit, but it's moving in that direction. One of my daughter's friends was recently robbed at gunpoint by three men, near his house in Woodruff - in broad daylight.

Top Bottom