• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I thought I might start an unnecessary discussion thread. I have a coworker that's looking for an inexpensive semi auto rifle. I named off all the common options I could think of at the time (10/22, mini 14/30, basic AR, basic AK, SKS, and pistol caliber carbines) but nothing piqued his interest. I feel like I missed something. He is thinking probably $400-600.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Love the VZ2008.....look them up....milled receiver.... Pound lighter than an AK...less recoil...cheaper if left stock (expensive to trick out)....complete takedown with two pins.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Let him know that the basic AR and AK doesn't have to stay basic. You can get a solid foundation for his given budget and the sky is the limit from there. Upgrade a single part at a time and sell the extras to fund more parts or keep them to start another build. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to go from a $500 AR to a $3,000+ AR in just a couple years.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Love the VZ2008.....look them up....milled receiver.... Pound lighter than an AK...less recoil...cheaper if left stock (expensive to trick out)....complete takedown with two pins.

Love my Vz2008 as well. It is AK like but it is actually a bit more unique when looking at them side by side, so it has a certain cool factor. Mine shoots like a dream and is cheap to feed.

Accessories are pretty limited and expensive though. But if hes someone thats likes to keep things original it would be fine.

I would probably steer him towards an entry level AR though. You can build a perfectly capable AR for $600 all day long, and customize it however you like when funding or interest presents itself. Accessories are endless, which is worth a lot in my eyes.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    That's as broad a question as it gets. He needs to think does he want a rimfire or centerfire. 10/22 on rimfire. Cheapest to shoot on centerfire is going to be 223/5.56. You can pick up new Ruger, DPMS, or Bushmaster AR style guns for right at the $600 mark. Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users

An AK is just as cheap to shoot, if not cheaper (depending on your brass case vs steel case beliefs).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Marlin 60 is another option in rimfire

Asking for ideas on a semiauto rifle (your response was fine, btw), is like asking for a car with 6 cylinders. Its only one of MANY criteria to consider.
    does he own any guns now? Who will use it, how often, and for what? That's starting point.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It would be mostly a range gun I think. He is looking to replace a bolt action .223. I tried pushing him towards an AR, but he doesn't seem to be a fan.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I picked up a used Hi-Point carbine in .40 for $175. It's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot despite the 10 round mag.

45Carbine.jpg

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    An AK is just as cheap to shoot, if not cheaper (depending on your brass case vs steel case beliefs).

yea also good choices, i should have clarified, those are one's i've had experience with. Don't own or never shot an AK, i'm sure they are nice guns though.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It would be mostly a range gun I think. He is looking to replace a bolt action .223. I tried pushing him towards an AR, but he doesn't seem to be a fan.

Hmm, given that he is already in the .223/5.56 caliber club, I would think an AR would make the most sense. You'd be hard pressed to get into a cheaper .223 than some of the entry level ARs. There are a few other guns out that you might be able to get into in that price range. Maybe a Century C93 (though you take a gamble on getting a bad one and the mags are super expensive). You could get into an older, used Mini-14 at the top of that price range (as you already noted).

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I think I may have talked him into an AR. we are going to the range tomorrow to try some different stuff out.

He is a big FNH fan and would have bought a PS90 or SCAR by now if the wife would let him.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom