• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    You hear the warnings quit often. They even ran some really hard hitting commercials for a while. You should never fall asleep with your baby in your arms or beside you in bed. It's too easy for bad things to happen.

Super simple, right? Not really. The baby is up all night crying and you're doing your best to get them to sleep. You're both tired, but you're doing your best to get the little one to fall asleep. Before you know it, you're asleep.

I don't have kids, but I can see how this can happen when exhaustion sets in. Hope this thread helps make people aware just how dangerous it can be. Let the little ones sleep in their crib.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Super simple, right? Not really. The baby is up all night crying and you're doing your best to get them to sleep. You're both tired, but you're doing your best to get the little one to fall asleep. Before you know it, you're asleep.

I don't have kids, but I can see how this can happen when exhaustion sets in. Hope this thread helps make people aware just how dangerous it can be. Let the little ones sleep in their crib.

I have 4 kids all of whom made it out of infancy. It's really quite simple.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    a little girl in my neighborhood, same age as my daughter, was born a twin.
    at (I think 8 or 9 months old) her mother rolled over on the other one during sleep and she died as a result.
    nearly every time I see the girl I think of her deceased twin sister...so sad.

sorry for your loss, Chip, prayers for you and your family.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So sad. Sorry for your loss.

And yes, its not so simple. Most of these incidents involve outside factors such as alcohol, etc.

Surprisingly all over the world there are cultures that practice bed sharing, also called the family bed. Yet those cultures do not have the same number of tragedies like this.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    That's terrible, thoughts and prayers to all.

My sister inlaw let her kids sleep in the bed. I thought it was an awful idea but she did it anyway, hell 2 of the kids where in the bed at the same time until the age 5.

Anyway I would never let my 2 kids sleep in the bed, even my first born. He didn't sleep through the night until 3 years old and getting him to sleep was at least a 2-3 hour process every night. It all started the 1st night we brought him home, he would scream his head off if we even got close to his bed. Strange thing is that he took great naps during the day in the same bed. I will admit though there were several nights were I slept in the recliner with him, I'd prop pillows under my arms to keep him steady. Not the best thing but it got to the point that we had to sleep one way or another and he was not going to be in my bed.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Cameramonkey said:
    Surprisingly all over the world there are cultures that practice bed sharing, also called the family bed. Yet those cultures do not have the same number of tragedies like this.

Yes, Japan in particular. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with co-sleeping if the parents are healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. It has been practiced around the world since forever. Nearly half of the infants in America co-sleep for at least part of every night, and tragedies such as this are quite rare - but heart-breaking.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, Japan in particular. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with co-sleeping if the parents are healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. It has been practiced around the world since forever. Nearly half of the infants in America co-sleep for at least part of every night, and tragedies such as this are quite rare - but heart-breaking.

I think it also has to do with what type of a sleeper you are and if you're accustomed to sleeping with things that can be crushed... IE, small dogs etc. Our 2 small dogs (7 lbs & 15 lbs, coincidentally the same size as an infant) have slept with us since they were puppies and yes, while they are more capable of getting out of the way if you do roll/move, it gets you accustomed to sleeping with something that you know can't be rolled on. Once your sub-conscience becomes aware of this fact it changes the way you sleep...

Our daughter didn't routinely sleep with us but there were nights where that was the only thing that would get her to sleep. We have a king size bed so my wife and I would both create a large space in the middle, put pillows on both sides of her (so we wouldn't roll into her and she wouldn't roll into us) and we would sleep. Never had a single incident...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm all for families determining what works for them. Just be aware of the risks. Like most things in life, if you just go doing things without thinking them through and without a plan, bad stuff happens.

I will say what worked for us- kids were always in a crib close to the bed. All were sleeping through the night (sometimes a short night, but at least 11p to 5a or so) at 2 months. Our tact was to let them cry. When they were far enough between feedings, when we put them down clean and fed and they cried. They cried. In the middle of the night if they woke up and it wasn't feeding time, they didn't get fed. If they were dirty, changed and back to bed. If they cried, they cried. Like I said- 2 months with all 4, and with all 4 being very different personalities from birth.

That worked for us. Do what works for you as long as its safe.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    HoughMade said:
    I'm all for families determining what works for them. Just be aware of the risks. Like most things in life, if you just go doing things without thinking them through and without a plan, bad stuff happens.

Definitely. Read, learn and think. We opted not to co-sleep for various reasons including my wife's chronic issues with fatigue and heavy sleeping. Every family is different.

Top Bottom