• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Im finishing up the last of my lead bullet reloads today and had picked up some Rainers and Berrys plated bullets, both 9mm 115gr. I found load data for plated bullets, but I don't have that powder. I do have Longshot and HS6 powder. Am I correct that you should treat copper plated bullets like lead bullets, as far as load data goes?

if so, Im coming up with

longshot 5.0 -6.0 gr
    HS6 6.4 - 6.9 gr

According to the Lee manual and i have confirmed on the Hodgdon website these numbers as well.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    When I start figuring a new plated bullet load, I start towards the higher end of a comparable lead round. I will then very slowly and cautiously work my way higher. I find most of my berry's rounds wind up pretty happily in the lower end of FMJ load data.

For load work up, I'll load in batches of: magazine capacity X 2 + 2. (Ex: 45ACP in an XDM - 13rnd mag X 2 + 2 = 28) I'll fire one round, check case for pressure signs and check chronograph data. I'll load two rounds in mag next and verify ejection and round cycling performance, then check cases for signs of pressure and chrony data. Then the same with a full mag. If all looks good at that point, I'll shoot another mag except this time from hand and not with the gun bench mounted. I'm looking for any odd recoil issues by this stage as well as previous checks. After all that is good and safe and recorded, I'll go to my next 28 loaded at the next 0.1gr of powder until I'm satisfied. Yes, I've shot over 500 rounds tweaking a load before. Better safe than sorry though.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have been using plated bullets for some time in both my 45 and 40. For target rounds i usually load toward the low end of the scale just because I am cheap and try to save a little powder to get a few more loads per pound. I typically run them around 1000fps for the 40 and 800fps for the 45. I use a pro disc measure so i just go with the one that runs the closest to that. No reason to push them any faster for target practice.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've shot a lot of 9mm Berry's 115grain bullets in my Beretta and Glocks. Yes, start off by using Lead load data for the plated bullets but also get your Chronograph out and work toward your own 9mm plated load. If you are using these bullets in Glocks I recommend getting Lone Wolf barrels. Plated bullet accuracy in stock Glock polygon rifled barrels isn't good enough to make me happy. With regular rifling Berry's plated bullets can be very accurate.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've shot a lot of 9mm Berry's 115grain bullets in my Beretta and Glocks. Yes, start off by using Lead load data for the plated bullets but also get your Chronograph out and work toward your own 9mm plated load. If you are using these bullets in Glocks I recommend getting Lone Wolf barrels. Plated bullet accuracy in stock Glock polygon rifled barrels isn't good enough to make me happy. With regular rifling Berry's plated bullets can be very accurate.

thanks for the info. Im shooting a Sig P226 Mak25 in 9mm. I dont have a chrony though. These will be plinking rounds

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In my experience, you will get better accuracy from hard cast lead bullets than plated bullets. As a bonus, the lead bullets are cheaper.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I buy from RMR BULLETS and plating is thicker that berry or other. I found to be accurate.
    90.00 + 3.00 for shipping. No tax 1000 rds and always a few extra

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    thanks for the info. Im shooting a Sig P226 Mak25 in 9mm. I dont have a chrony though. These will be plinking rounds

If I were you I would start saving up for a Chronograph. They are around $100 and really valuable for anyone that reloads. If your velocity is too high compared to the loading tables and your barrel length - chances are you are pushing the window of safety. Knowing the weight of your bullet and the velocity allows you to determine the muzzle energy (nice to know for hunting loads). Using the bullet BC (ballistic coefficient) and velocity will also let you figure trajectory for targeting. Also you can measure a "Brand" ammo using the Chrony and duplicate it when reloading.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have shot thousands of Raniers in 45acp, 230gr. For reference, I use 5.4gr of W231, which IIRC is in the middle of the jacketed bullet range from the load book. I never chrono'd them but they feel like a standard hardball loading recoil wise. No issues with fouling, keyholing, or anything like that at all.

-Brian

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I were you I would start saving up for a Chronograph. They are around $100 and really valuable for anyone that reloads. If your velocity is too high compared to the loading tables and your barrel length - chances are you are pushing the window of safety. Knowing the weight of your bullet and the velocity allows you to determine the muzzle energy (nice to know for hunting loads). Using the bullet BC (ballistic coefficient) and velocity will also let you figure trajectory for targeting. Also you can measure a "Brand" ammo using the Chrony and duplicate it when reloading.

^^^This^^^

Even a casual loader will see benefits from having a chronograph. It really does show you exactly what your work is producing in the end.

Top Bottom