• ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Hey all,

I just recently started getting back into the groove of collecting parts for an AR build. Yea, it’s overplayed and over done but this will be the first one I’ve done in a long while. I was looking through YouTube for some refresher videos and I stumbled upon the School Of The American Rifle(SOTAR). The amount of knowledge that man has about the AR platform is incredible. After watching a few videos I know understand the complexity of the machining process for them. It started making me wonder how many other detail oriented sources of information there are on this platform. What YouTube channels can you all recommend? Websites? Other forums?

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    SOTAR is a great channel.

Have you checked out?
    Clint Hanson @ Ballistic Advantage
    JP Rifles Videos

There is some great content on Practical Shooting Training Group about AR /PCC setup and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Hey all,

I just recently started getting back into the groove of collecting parts for an AR build. Yea, it’s overplayed and over done but this will be the first one I’ve done in a long while. I was looking through YouTube for some refresher videos and I stumbled upon the School Of The American Rifle(SOTAR). The amount of knowledge that man has about the AR platform is incredible. After watching a few videos I know understand the complexity of the machining process for them. It started making me wonder how many other detail oriented sources of information there are on this platform. What YouTube channels can you all recommend? Websites? Other forums?
    There is alot of accurate info out there, the problem is there are equally as many internet commandos out there that are full of half baked advice.. ive been doing it so long that I really no longer seek out sources but the best thing to do is compare data, talk to the guys at kak, shilen, Aero, criterion BCM etc.. actually get it from the horses mouth. Talk with the pros just because it is so difficult to verify internet data.. someone can write a bad article and it becomes "good info" that's not good for anyone:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yep, School of the American Rifle is one of my newest favorite channels.

It really puts to bed the idea of "parts is parts." Everything has to work together. One component that's slightly out of spec isn't usually a big deal. Once you start understanding the idea of tolerance stacking, you really begin to see how quickly things can go south in terms of reliability and durability.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Yep, School of the American Rifle is one of my newest favorite channels.

It really puts to bed the idea of "parts is parts." Everything has to work together. One component that's slightly out of spec isn't usually a big deal. Once you start understanding the idea of tolerance stacking, you really begin to see how quickly things can go south in terms of reliability and durability.
    Yep, that's one reason on certain builds (more so with AR10s) ill get certain parts from the same manufacturer. For 15s, a staple has become BCM uppers because of their interference fit with the barrel. You have to heat it with a blow dryer to get your barrel in and that helps ensure a nice tight fit that won't move. Ive found BCM, Aero and Odin works carriers to all be good fits but you definitely can run into issues stacking tolerances if you don't do your home work. When I first started I would call places and get their tolerances and match accordingly but ive done so many now that I have it down to just a few configurations that i know are reliable and drive tacs:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Another good source is the Patrick Sweeney books on the AR-15. The four volumes, plus the three gunsmithing books are very detailed.

The two Walt Kuleck Guides are also excellent books. I always recommend these to new AR owners.

The book by Joe Poyer is another must have for the AR15 library.

Attachments

• 5154VAg1LSL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
      5154VAg1LSL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
      30.3 KB · Views: 2
    • 41iZg+LbmIL._AC_UL600_SR399,600_.jpg
      41iZg+LbmIL._AC_UL600_SR399,600_.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 2
    • images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      10.4 KB · Views: 1
    • 51k4o8Xjz2L._AC_UL600_SR456,600_.jpg
      51k4o8Xjz2L._AC_UL600_SR456,600_.jpg