• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    correct me if I'm wrong.

you don't have to tell them anything other than to verify info listed on your D/L, vehicle registration and insurance. things such as your name, address, DOB, ownership of the vehicle, etc. it helps to indicate you are not drunk.

keep your mouth shut on the **** chat. you don't have to tell the officer why you got pulled over or how fast you were driving or where you are coming and going.

today's technology makes very difficult for you to get away from a ticket. lot of times vehicle info is already put into the log on the on-board computer along with GPS location and radar readings even before they approach the driver. the pressure of generation revenue from traffic violations is so great, LEO's can't give you a break even they wanted to. the only thing they need to do to issue you a ticket is to scan your D/L and grab that e-ticket from the printer.

once you have id'd yourself, tell them you don't want to answer any questions.

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
    ^^^again^^^
    Ljk YOU'RE WRONG! You don't have to tell him ANYTHING. Period.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Your IN LTCH is valid in MI. If you are in MI, you must inform. Your IN LTCH is valid in 29 more states...all of their laws vary, including where you can and can't carry.

Remember that your IN LTCH does not exempt you from the federal Gun Free School Zones act outside the state of Indiana.

Know before you go: Handgunlaw.us

+1 to that site! it is very informative! our local Huntington LEOs hand out a packet of info from this site after every interview to get LTCH.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The two times I've been pulled over I handed my Permit over with my license and both times the officer thanked me and asked where I kept it, told them and they just asked for me to leave it where it was. Both time I was pulled over in a rural county and that may have made a difference also.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    correct me if I'm wrong.

you don't have to tell them anything other than to verify info listed on your D/L, vehicle registration and insurance. things such as your name, address, DOB, ownership of the vehicle, etc. it helps to indicate you are not drunk.

keep your mouth shut on the **** chat. you don't have to tell the officer why you got pulled over or how fast you were driving or where you are coming and going.

today's technology makes very difficult for you to get away from a ticket. lot of times vehicle info is already put into the log on the on-board computer along with GPS location and radar readings even before they approach the driver. the pressure of generation revenue from traffic violations is so great, LEO's can't give you a break even they wanted to. the only thing they need to do to issue you a ticket is to scan your D/L and grab that e-ticket from the printer.

once you have id'd yourself, tell them you don't want to answer any questions.

First off your id they get from plate or your state id or DL when ran in CAD will let them know you have a cc permit or if its expired fyi....second officers do have discretion when giving a citation your driving record history matters and your attitude. You are right you have the right to talk as little as you want but you are wrong that they must give you a ticket , officers still have some discretion warnings are you friend ...:twocents:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not going to give you an opinion, but will simply relay my experience. Any time I was asked if I had a weapon and replied "yes", it was followed by questions, I was asked to step out of the vehicle, the LEO retrieved it/confiscated it, unloaded it, and asked me not to reload it until he/she was gone. After having this happen a couple times, I decided to skip the bull**** and just started handing them my LTCH along with my drivers license and registration without giving them the chance to even ask. To my surprise, any time I did this, I was never asked to "part with my piece". Instead, the LEO simply asked me not to touch it while he was there. I feel it may have establish a small line of trust with the officer and its what I will do from now on. I just don't see the need to play hardball when it's the LEO that is putting their life on the line (and it may be your life on the line when the officer is surprised by a weapon that he didn't know about). YMMV
    You guys do what you want! But you WILL change your mind when an officer puts YOUR life on the line, when/if he decides to "play hard ball" and points your gun at you and/or other occupants in your car! Ask me how I know!
    I'll say it again. There is NOTHING to gain by telling Leo about anything he doesn't NEED to know!
    It is NOT a sign of respect to tell him about your edc!
    You are not "establishing a line of trust"!

The safest place for ANY gun is in its holster! Leave it there!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    First off your id they get from plate or your state id or DL when ran in CAD will let them know you have a cc permit or if its expired fyi....second officers do have discretion when giving a citation your driving record history matters and your attitude. You are right you have the right to talk as little as you want but you are wrong that they must give you a ticket , officers still have some discretion warnings are you friend ...:twocents:
    How does an officer know if I have a LTCH from my license plate or driver's license. I didn't know that information was cross referenced ! What if I'm not driving my own car and, instead, driving a car that belongs to a relative or a friend ?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    How does an officer know if I have a LTCH from my license plate or driver's license. I didn't know that information was cross referenced ! What if I'm not driving my own car and, instead, driving a car that belongs to a relative or a friend ?

In Indiana that information about cc permits is in the Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) and automated Records Management Systems (RMS) ...... with your record any active warrants etc. So if a officer runs your plate it will show the owner of car has a cc permit if you are in another car and officer runs your Indiana DL it will be the same it will show that person has a cc permit

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not going to give you an opinion, but will simply relay my experience. Any time I was asked if I had a weapon and replied "yes", it was followed by questions, I was asked to step out of the vehicle, the LEO retrieved it/confiscated it, unloaded it, and asked me not to reload it until he/she was gone. After having this happen a couple times, I decided to skip the bull**** and just started handing them my LTCH along with my drivers license and registration without giving them the chance to even ask. To my surprise, any time I did this, I was never asked to "part with my piece". Instead, the LEO simply asked me not to touch it while he was there. I feel it may have establish a small line of trust with the officer and its what I will do from now on. I just don't see the need to play hardball when it's the LEO that is putting their life on the line (and it may be your life on the line when the officer is surprised by a weapon that he didn't know about). YMMV

Yes, YMMV indeed. Stopped half a dozen times in the last 20 years. Only had my weapon placed in the trunk "for our safety" once. It was already under the seat and not on my person, and I was lit up for ... um... "parking" ;) in a secluded area. At the time my weapon was placed in my trunk he had absolutely NO idea what he was up against. Could I have felony warrants? could I have been forcing myself on her? could she be underage, giving me motive to use said pistol to escape? He asked up front if there were any weapons, and he carefully placed it out of reach but still ultimately under my control in the long run. We did our business, which included a small lecture, and he drove off. I'm OK with that. EVERY OTHER TIME it has been a moving violation where in varying ways the officer said "dont touch it and we wont have a problem".

Either you give off a bad vibe or you get the short straw and get the jerk officers. If its the latter, dont bother with lottery tickets. Your luck sucks. :):

Many states, Indiana being one, your LTCH status shows up when they run your drivers license. Im not sure about the plates, but the DL query does show it. (Im sure one of the resident LEOs can verify the plate question)

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You still don't have to tell, even if he asks.

"I have nothing illegal in my vehicle or on my person."
    "Did you stop me to ask if I have weapons? No? Then let's stick to why you've stopped me."
    "I refuse to answer any questions."

These are just a few examples of not lying and not answering at the same time.

Granted, the officer probably won't like those responses, but you aren't required to please him.

agreed. i know you don't HAVE to but, it's smart to answer honestly to avoid any conflict. I know a lot of LEOs
    and none of them make a big deal out of knowing people are armed. But if you lie and for some reason they find out
    you are probably not going to be in a good situation.
    People i see on ride alongs will tell the LEO they have a permit and then they are asked where the weapon is. I've only seen them
    take one and unload it one time. Every other time they just say leave it there or keep your hands in plain view.
    similar to what jeremy1066 said.
    and yes they say permit not license! i know its license

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    And for the record if you want to know how your local police handle traffic stops or traffic stops with a LTCH permit buy a scanner . Hear it with your own ears :yesway:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    None of those response examples were dishonest.

And... avoiding conflict is rarely my top priority. ;)

haha here we go. wasnt saying they were dishonest, just a general statement
    first of all i've been pulled over probably 12-15 times in 16 years and not one of those was i asked if i had a weapon
    so not sure whey some act like its the norm. I don't here it during ride-alongs very often at all either
    OH and by the way I'm guessing you do avoid conflict because i seriously doubt you TRY to get pulled over:p
    I like Guy Relfords point of view on it he basically said that when i hand them my Larry and DL they already know
    a lot about me, and it's not bad.

Tlam13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ive got a LEO friend who is nice as anyone outside work and I respect how hard a job he has dealing with unknowns and real criminals out there. I'm not going to make it more difficult or be a pita about it. I'll hand over my license & ltch and cooperate.

I got pulled over for speeding 1 time when I was living in VA (with a VA ltch/cwp) and didn't tell the officer. He came back & asked me if I was carrying. I told him no, not this time, and he asked that next time to please let them know, it would make him feel safer. I think that's reasonable.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Ive got a LEO friend who is nice as anyone outside work and I respect how hard a job he has dealing with unknowns and real criminals out there. I'm not going to make it more difficult or be a pita about it. I'll hand over my license & ltch and cooperate.

I got pulled over for speeding 1 time when I was living in VA (with a VA ltch/cwp) and didn't tell the officer. He came back & asked me if I was carrying. I told him no, not this time, and he asked that next time to please let them know, it would make him feel safer. I think that's reasonable.

+1

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    ^^^again^^^
    Ljk YOU'RE WRONG! You don't have to tell him ANYTHING. Period.

it meant to be a common courtesy. saying a word or two just to let the LEO know I'm not drunk(because he was checking my breath). I was stopped twice after receiving my LTCH, never been asked if I was carrying at all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

What is "more difficult or ... a pita" if you DON'T inform?
    "let them know" what? That you have a license to carry, or that you are NOT carrying?:dunno:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    You guys do what you want! But you WILL change your mind when an officer puts YOUR life on the line, when/if he decides to "play hard ball" and points your gun at you and/or other occupants in your car! Ask me how I know!
    I'll say it again. There is NOTHING to gain by telling Leo about anything he doesn't NEED to know!
    It is NOT a sign of respect to tell him about your edc!
    You are not "establishing a line of trust"!

The safest place for ANY gun is in its holster! Leave it there!
    I think this might be true.... IF you come across as a punk, a thug or a dirtbag.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom