• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Had a pleasant encounter with a Michigan police officer on Thursday. I have not been pulled over since owning and carrying a firearm. I was in Grand Rapids for the weekend, and due to construction at an intersection, I u-turned and then went down a 25mph side street along with everyone else, but I was going 37mph. Just onto the street and he lights up so I immediately pull over. He came to my passenger window because I couldn’t pull over far. I handed him my license and insurance card and then said “I need to inform you I have a license to carry a handgun.” He asked if it was on my person and I said no, it’s in the glove box. I offered my LTCH and he took it, looked at it, and handed it back. He asked for my registration and I said “Sure, but it’s also in the glove box. Would you like to get it or would you like me to get it?” He said go ahead- he’s on that side of the car so has full view. I open it and with two fingers remove my pistol and wife’s revolver and place them on the floor mat, then hand him my registration. He asked how many I had and I said I had both because I planned to shoot with my FIL over the weekend.

He returns to his car for a good while, and comes back, hands me my stuff and says, “We’re cutting people some slack today.” (I have a clean record) I thanked him and then asked if I handled the firearm situation properly and he said yes but would have preferred I had them in the trunk (I guess assuming I only brought them to shoot at the range).

I then asked the burning question I’ve had: “when you run my license, do you see anything that says I have an LTCH?” I know in Indiana, the LTCH is attached to the DL, but was unsure if other states had access to that. He said “no, there is no designation, no way of him knowing I may have a firearm.” Overall, he was very courteous and friendly, and having read lots on here, I first took a deep breath, relaxed, and was honest. Went well and I learned a lot.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Glad it went well for you and the officer. I think that you both handled it as well as could be expected. The one thing that I would change would b to keep the weapons and registrations in a separate spot. I always have mine on my hip so no worries.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    There is a very real difference between preference and the law. ;) Officer doesnt exist to uphold preferences!

But the officer didn't "uphold" his preferance. He did not try to make the OP put the gun in the trunk. He didn't take possession of them. He was just answering the OP's question. Are officers not allowed to have an opinion, or when asked for said opinion, to share it?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    But the officer didn't "uphold" his preferance. He did not try to make the OP put the gun in the trunk. He didn't take possession of them. He was just answering the OP's question. Are officers not allowed to have an opinion, or when asked for said opinion, to share it?

Nope! They should keep their pieholes shut while on the job and uphold THE LAW. The opinions/preferences they have are for OFF DUTY time when they arent getting paid to uphold THE LAW.

Granted this officer only gave opinion when asked (which his OPINION doesnt matter), many officers DO NOT wait....they unleash it on the citizen as referenced in 1000's of youtube videos. Search term: Police harrassment, illegal detainment, open carry harrassment, concealed carry harrassment, police without search warrant, illegal police stop....and the list goes on.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Nope! They should keep their pieholes shut while on the job and uphold THE LAW. The opinions/preferences they have are for OFF DUTY time when they arent getting paid to uphold THE LAW.

Granted this officer only gave opinion when asked (which his OPINION doesnt matter), many officers DO NOT wait....they unleash it on the citizen as referenced in 1000's of youtube videos. Search term: Police harrassment, illegal detainment, open carry harrassment, concealed carry harrassment, police without search warrant, illegal police stop....and the list goes on.

Cool story, bro. That has nothing to do with this particular interaction that we are discussing. Because the officer did none of those things. He was asked for his opinion and he gave it. And most importantly here, did not in any way, shape, or form force his opinion on the OP. Really not seeing the issue here.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    He didn't take possession of them. He was just answering the OP's question. Are officers not allowed to have an opinion, or when asked for said opinion, to share it?
    The OP's question was: “when you run my license, do you see anything that says I have an LTCH?”

The opinion offered was extra and was not required to answer the question, nor did it have anything to do with the question.

Just keepin it real.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is the first interaction I've personally heard of between an Indiana resident and a Michigan police officer that did not result in confiscation of a firearm. One acquaintance is currently on year four of trying to get his back (from a traffic violation; speeding/no signal to change lanes when passing). No priors, no warrants, no nothing...clean record, first stop.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is the first interaction I've personally heard of between an Indiana resident and a Michigan police officer that did not result in confiscation of a firearm. One acquaintance is currently on year four of trying to get his back (from a traffic violation; speeding/no signal to change lanes when passing). No priors, no warrants, no nothing...clean record, first stop.

Any more details of his stop that you can give us?
    Did he inform as required?
    Bad attitude on his part or officer?

Just curious, thanks.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Any more details of his stop that you can give us?
    Did he inform as required?
    Bad attitude on his part or officer?

Just curious, thanks.
    Next time I see him, I'll ask to verify (it's been a few years since he first told me and I only recognize him by sight... I don't recall his first name).
    Near as I can recall, he sped up to pass a truck and there ended up being a car (or two) in front of it that he didn't see...so he floored it, trying to get around before any oncoming traffic appeared...whipping back over without signaling. Parked LEO watching traffic with the radar gun thing saw it go down and nailed him. I don't recall whether he informed or not, but if what the OP said was true about running a license, then I guess he must have (if he was CCing)...otherwise, how would they know?
    As far as demeanor, I can only guess at that. He's a very mellow older gent with a very soft voice. I can't imagine he sounds upset even when he's upset. As for the officer, there's no way of knowing... this guy never says unflattering things about anybody. Even Obama supporters. :): So, even if the LEO was chewing his butt royally, he probably just calmly/softy answered all his questions with a genuine grandpa smile. Who knows...maybe that upset the officer. :D Really, I don't know more than that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Glad it went well for you and the officer. I think that you both handled it as well as could be expected. The one thing that I would change would b to keep the weapons and registrations in a separate spot. I always have mine on my hip so no worries.
    What holster do you use when you carry your registration on your hip?

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The OP's question was: “when you run my license, do you see anything that says I have an LTCH?”

The opinion offered was extra and was not required to answer the question, nor did it have anything to do with the question.

Just keepin it real.

Negative. Second paragraph of the OP.

I thanked him and then asked him if I handled the firearm situation properly

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun

I read this in another thread, and that's why it was my burning question to know if they could even suspect a firearm would be present. Not that I would lie... but IF I KNEW the firearm would be confiscated, I'd rather a Hi-Point be confiscated than a Gold Cup. Might make someone who frequents the Wolverine state purchase a gun that will minimize the loss.

Last edited:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Good thing you informed. Just looked it up and had you not informed and he saw them when you went for the registration it could have been a $500 ticket. Also says loss of "CCW" for a year. However, they would not be able to revoke your LTCH in Indiana I'm guessing. Probably just the reciprocity for Michigan for a year.

Side question: Why was your carry gun in the glove box?

Top Bottom