• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's your truck. Rip it out, reprogram it. It's not rocket surgery.

Like BMW wanting a monthly fee to keep the heated seats on. Battery, switch, coils.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

He voted with Cortez? Does this make Massie a RINO?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

When AOC is on my side, I really have to re-evaluate if I'm thinking correctly.

But, yeah, she's right on this one. Funny how little attention this continues to get when it's a very real threat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From the Breaking Away film in B-Town. Italians being d**ks.

Ah. Yeah, never heard of it. Excellent demonstration of the bicycle kill switch, though less nefarious than the actual topic. At least this was a single human acting out of malice, not a benevolent overlord AI deciding you're too sleepy to safely drive home so it pulls over for you installed in every new vehicle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've no idea what that is. Sorry to dissappoint.
    Its a movie about racing bicycles set in Indiana. The scene I had in mind was where the working class kid works hard to excel, Idolizes the Italian National team. I think they ride in a race as a demonstration, kid is able to keep up with them which is too much of a potential embarrassment. Kid pulls along side his idol to talk and that rider shoves a frame pump through the spokes of his wheel and wrecks him

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It's your truck. Rip it out, reprogram it. It's not rocket surgery.

Like BMW wanting a monthly fee to keep the heated seats on. Battery, switch, coils.
    how long before they regulate that to make it illegal?

The kill switch would be an open program that would allow government and law enforcement access to do whatever they want with your vehicle. To do such things, they may not even require a warrant!

What’s troublesome with such technology, or any other technology connected to the internet, is the fact that it is vulnerable to threats and hackers. A hacker could easily access the vehicle and turn it off in a dangerous location.

Installing kill switches and giving law enforcement access is a violation of Americans’ privacy rights. There is no legislation that defines “impaired driving,” which means that the term is open to interpretation by the Department of Transportation (DoT) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Under the details of the bill, the NHTSA has three years to research and define what technologies they wish to see in vehicles. Once they decide on the technologies, automakers will have two to three years to comply with the recommendations presented by the NHTSA.

We agree that the law does not clearly state what others are claiming but isn’t giving NHTSA, a government agency, the power to decide and recommend technologies according to their wishes.

For example, the law requires NHTSA to specify technology that would monitor a driver’s blood alcohol concentration and prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if the driver is impaired. But what’s stopping NHTSA from violating an American citizen’s privacy?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I don't like the intrusion/overreach.
    I don't like the vagueness of the "law" and how it's implemented / what is required.
    I don't like transferring power to another administrative branch of .gov.
    I don't like the potential security risks this implies.

But... if it gets just one drunk driver texting soccer mom to keep their eyes on the road, that's a win for The People.

This is going to be applied to commercial trucks too, right? RIGHT?!?

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I think that the privacy argument is weak.
    The vehicle is being operated on a public through fare in the vast majority of cases, not on private land.
    The license plate identifies the owner to the police. In most, but not all, cases that is the driver.
    The police already have the authority to pull over a vehicle for violating traffic laws or being involved in suspicious activity.
    They can use spike strips now to stop the vehicle. The strips can be fabricated by criminals.

Factors like cost and reliability factor in. How much will it add to the cost of a new vehicle? What would be the cost of the equipment to the police, and to the taxpayers? I would think that it would slow down and stop the vehicle, not suddenly slam on the breaks. Hopefully, it would only stop a single vehicle, and not 10 others near it.
    If my car was stolen, I would not want it to be severely damaged in a high-speed crash.
    I would not want to be involved in a high-speed crash with someone running from the police.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    how long before they regulate that to make it illegal?

The kill switch would be an open program that would allow government and law enforcement access to do whatever they want with your vehicle. To do such things, they may not even require a warrant!

This isn't some remote kill switch to end pursuits. It's actually worse. It's the *machine* deciding you don't need to be driving.

I think that the privacy argument is weak.
    The vehicle is being operated on a public through fare in the vast majority of cases, not on private land.
    The license plate identifies the owner to the police. In most, but not all, cases that is the driver.

That's not the privacy argument. The privacy argument is that it watches your face and makes determinations on if it thinks you are intoxicated, or even just too sleepy, and then stops you from driving based on that. A human officer who thinks you are drunk may stop you, but then investigates further. How does the machine investigate further? What if you get stung by a bee and swell up so it thinks your eyes are closed more than normal? You can't drive?

Top Bottom