• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nope, just a pistol in a holster.

If the holster conceals the pistol and the pistol can be fired from within the holster, the combination is an NFA weapon (AOW).

About 2/3 of the way down the page:

Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms | ATF

Given that the holster in the link does not fully conceal the gun (the grip is exposed), I don't know how that would be classified, but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Exposed slide might make the difference, as it doesn't make an attempt to conceal the fact that it's a firearm. It's a common design for many holster manufacturers these days. They are illegal in CA, however.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The pictures of the pistol IN the holster. Isn't that considered an AOW?

To the best of my understanding: maybe. When the newer styles came out that don't cover the slide the ATF ruled that because it was readily identifiable as a gun and the slide was not covered, it didn't qualify as a holster, but as an accessory. My reading of it when I was researching it last year was that ones that disguised the gun when plainly visible were considered an AOW and one of the criteria they mentioned was that the slide was covered on some of the older styles.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    If the holster conceals the pistol and the pistol can be fired from within the holster, the combination is an NFA weapon (AOW).

Given that the holster in the link does not fully conceal the gun (the grip is exposed), I don't know how that would be classified, but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Learn something new every day. I swear it would take a lifetime to fully understand every firearm regulation. Especially if you consider state laws.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co

Could buy it without the holster or not use the holster? Wouldnt that solve the issue? If he doesnt sell it with the holster its fine, but I suppose if he sells it with the holster and it is infact an AOW, then you'd be ****ed. I've never heard of this, so thanks for the info. After reading the link and comparing the two, I feel like its not an AOW since its not fully concealed and you can tell its a firearm. To me the holster just makes it more accessible to get to the trigger

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms | ATF.
    Shooter521 has it right.

Given that the holster in the link does not fully conceal the gun (the grip is exposed), I don't know how that would be classified.
    ATF description doesn't say how much (or little) of the gun would need to be exposed before it doesn't apply... It just says:

Distinctive Characteristics:
    Holster has hole to fire weapon

Top Bottom