• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Anybody familiar with wiring up a VFD to an approx 2hp motor while still using a mechanical reversing switch on a motor that is missing its motor plate?

btw this will be 220 single phase in and 220 3phase out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never done that. The VFD's I'm familiar with have a "phase loss" feature to help prevent single-phasing the motor and damaging it.

There are lots of solutions out on the net for running a 3-phase motor off of single phase power. I don't have any idea how a VFD will perform in one of these systems.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless you are generating a 3rd phase or ghost phase I am not aware of any VFD ( variable frq. drive) that will work like this. Are you attempting to make a 3 phase machine such as a lathe or mill run on a single phase power supply???

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Unless you are generating a 3rd phase or ghost phase I am not aware of any VFD ( variable frq. drive) that will work like this. Are you attempting to make a 3 phase machine such as a lathe or mill run on a single phase power supply???

Yep, its what i have on my mill also, but i dont need an easy reverse on it like i do the lathe.
    here is what i am looking at.
    220 single phase in
    220v 3 phase out.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drives/AC+Drives/Phase+Converter+VFD/X200-022NFU1.html

Swapping the motors out is the same cost, wiring either way, is going to be a PITA.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    L1 > to Drive (sometimes labled as T1) to switch
    L2 > to Drive " " " T2 to switch
    Drive T3 to switch

At switch: Use continuity tester to find the two lines that change when switch is thrown.

from switch:
    L1 to motor L1
    L2 to motor L2
    L3 to motor L3

If motor runs in reverse when switch shows it should be forward, switch L1 and L2.

As to wiring the motor without a motor plate, I would take it to Brehob on South Meridian and pay to have them diagnose the correct wiring for 220V

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kochs electric is the place I take everything. Good folks, reliable and just a bit cheaper than Brehob. Have friends that work for Brehob so no offense intended.

If you get all of you components in hand let me know. If you have the required info I can wire it up for you.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    smaller vfd's can make 3ph from a single phase feed. My concern would be the switch after the vfd. I am an electrical engineer and it is a bad idea to put some sort of a switch on the motor. Can't you put a small pilot selector switch that will reverse or stop the vfd? It has been my experience that if you disconnect or somehow switch the power output from the vfd, it can have explosive results....

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Peashooter is on the correct path. A VFD should be directly connected to your motor. The vfd can be programmed to run your motor in foward and reverse. Your switch will most likely have to be re-wired to control the VFD. A forward/reverse starter should not be inbetween your vfd and motor. Bottom line, it can be done. A VFD is different then a phase converter. Also, a VFD generally will need to be de-rated if you are only supplying single phase to it. Of course proper protecive devices should be used (fuses/breakers).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did some research and now see that CB45 already posted my findings. I work with VFD's a lot on large commercial fans and loop pumps. I have installed and assisted in programming them but have never done the 3rd phase deal from single phase. I agree that a switch is not a good idea as a VFD is load sensitive and the smoking results might be disastrous and expensive. This is what I have been told by those I rely on for info along these lines.

Top Bottom