• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who will you vote for in the May 4th primary?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    I dont think Hostetler is evil at all. I think hes right on. ive never TOTALY 100% agreed with any politician, but i dont think we all are suposed to agree, as long as the one thing we agree on is abiding by the constitution. John Hostetler will follow the constitution. he knows the constitution is his mandate. please, please, before you all vote for stunzman or anyone else besides Hostetler, sit down and think hard if youd rather have Dan Coats???? If you vote for anyone besides Hostetler you WILL be putting Dan Coats into office. So you believe that by voting for Stutzman your gonna keep a clean concience because you didnt compromise, but rethink your reasoning. Stuntzman has NO CHANCE, this time. So if you vote for him to not compromise then your PARTLY to blame for electing Dan Coats. simple as that. If stuntzman truely cares about this country like i think he does, then he will withdrawl from this race.

John Hostetler believes the patiot act is constitutional and always votes for it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    John Hostetler believes the patiot act is constitutional and always votes for it.

Another good reason to vote against him.

Protect gun rights, but lose your 4th and 1st amendments. Nope, sorry. Still not going to compromise my vote this year.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    YOu know what to expect alright... just what he did before... you can expect him to nominate liberal judges and vote for more gun control like he did in the past while trashing hoosiers and moving out of state?

Well said!
    Don't forget he wasn't living here when he decided to run.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Another good reason to vote against him.

Protect gun rights, but lose your 4th and 1st amendments. Nope, sorry. Still not going to compromise my vote this year.

It would be pretty sad if we have to decide which part of the Bill of Rights we're going to bargain away. I'm a big fan of the 10th and 9th amendments; should I be willing to trade them away to save the 1st, 2nd, and 4th?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A vote for Stutzman is like pissing into the wind, nothing good will come out of it because he wont even get 10% of the vote. Im not saying he isnt a GREAT potential candidate for senate, but he isnt in the final heat. I just hate to see good votes thrown away, when John has a shot to beat coats.

I have to agree. See we agree with some things :) Geezzz I sure hope we don't get stuck with that sorry azz coats.:xmad:

erowe1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Hostettler is our only real choice.

What the anti-Coats people have said is 100% right. But what some people seem to miss is that Stutzman = Coats. The two guys are practically clones of the same politician at different stages in his career. Both are absolutely loyal to the party and will follow the leadership's orders. And both are relatively conservative as establishment Republicans go (which, granted, isn't saying much). The only real difference is that Stutzman hasn't gotten to the lobbyist stage yet and Coats has.

erowe1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010

If you're talking about warrantless wiretaps, Hostettler voted against that and has consistently opposed them.

erowe1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Hostettler hasn't raised any money. He's under Behney for dollars raised.

I think that's pretty cool, actually. Most voters think there's too much money in politics, and here's a guy who hasn't spent any money, and yet he's consistently polled at the top of the pack, or tied with Coats at the top. Hostettler has had an army of volunteers all over the state working for nothing, doing things that Coats can't get people to do unless he pays them. This is the same way Hostettler won 6 House races when he was outfunded in a district that's evenly divided between R's and D's.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    You Behney supporters absolutely puzzle me. I've never seen anyone NOT answer questions in a debate like him ever. He comes off sleazier than most career politicians I've seen.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Love the comparisons....

Behney is the biggest competition to Hostettler on Hostettler's "pet" issue of being "Constitutional" - so Behney get's labeled as "sleazier than most career politicians".

To Behney supporters, he comes across as genuine, passionate, and gutsy. Not beholden to anyone.

Oh, wait. I forgot. Those are the qualities that Hostettler supporters tout for their guy. And Stutzman for their guy.

Let's compare & see if we can spot the career politicians:
    Behney: Zero years service in politics.
    Stutzman: 8 years as a "part time" state legislator (serves 3 mos/year)
    Hostettler: 12 years in US House
    Coats: 8 Years in US House/10 years in US Senate

They are all trying for 6 (more) years in the US Senate.

That would put Hostettler at 18 years in the US Congress if he wins.

Last edited:

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Interesting opinion by a Pundit at the South Bend trib.

The others are:

State Sen. Marlin Stutzman, a thoughtful legislator from Howe, who could have the best chance to take some organization support away from Coats. He has backing from fellow legislators and others in regular party ranks. But he began as a political unknown outside his northeast Indiana district and still faces statewide name recognition problems.

Former Congressman John Hostettler, endorsed by Libertarian Republican Congressman Ron Paul. His fierce criticism of Coats results in speculation that he could be the top challenger. But Hostettler was trounced and knocked out of Congress by Brad Ellsworth, the Evansville Democrat who will be that party's nominee for the Senate.

Tea party activist Richard Behney of Fishers, who made a plea in the debate for fellow activists to support him and not split their votes among the others. His flat-out denunciation of reaching across the aisle to compromise causes some Republicans to fear he would lose the key middle ground in the fall to Ellsworth, a moderate Democrat.

Financial adviser Don Bates Jr. of Winchester, banking everything on appeal as a political outsider. He hopes GOP voters will regard the governmental experience of Coats, Hostettler and Stutzman as negative. His own lack of political experience, however, worries some other Republicans looking at a tough fall campaign.
    (Emphasis mine)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just for clarity's sake, this question is for those who are voting in the Republican Primary. Both parties are conducting primaries, and we don't want to give the impression that only Republicans post here.

Is it only the two largest parties holding primaries? I thought others did so as well. Regardless, you're correct, the Democrats are also holding a primary. This thread and poll made the Republican candidates the choices available. If you would like to start a thread asking the same question with the Democrat choices, that is your option as well, as is the option for others who want to do that for other parties as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If you're talking about warrantless wiretaps, Hostettler voted against that and has consistently opposed them.

Excuse me? You might want to get your information straight. That douchebag voted to make the Patriot Act PERMANENT!

Here's a couple more tidbits for ya...

Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)

Votes no to war with Iraq first,
    Voted NO on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)

Then back pedals and says indefinite war is just fine. :scratch:
    Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)

Sure he has a good platform, but he's not the kind of Politician I want in office. AND he's a CAREER politician. Time for him to find a real job for a while. :twocents:

(info source for voting record... John Hostettler on the Issues )

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Excuse me? You might want to get your information straight. That douchebag voted to make the Patriot Act PERMANENT!

YouTube - Hostettler on Patriot Act

Ummmmm.... He actually helped write it. He claims it's Constitutional. I disagree - not because they didn't find the case law they needed. But, because it violates our Right to Privacy - what the Ron Paulites call "The Right to be Let Alone".

The more I research this man's record - the less I think that he's the guardian of the Constitution that his followers claim him to be.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    YouTube - Hostettler on Patriot Act

Ummmmm.... He actually helped write it. He claims it's Constitutional. I disagree - not because they didn't find the case law they needed. But, because it violates our Right to Privacy - what the Ron Paulites call "The Right to be Let Alone".

The more I research this man's record - the less I think that he's the guardian of the Constitution that his followers claim him to be.

Please show me what part of the Constitution guarantees a "Right to Privacy". The 4th amendment protects us from "unreasonable" search and seizure. Please cite a recent news article or event in which the 4th amendment was violated as a result of the Patriot Act.

The Patriot Act was created to protect us from terrorist attacks. I'm sure the leniency that it grants for federal agents to collect intelligence has saved thousands of lives. Some people still live in a pre-9/11 mindset. :rolleyes:

Mr. Behney most likely doesn't know the Constitution from a hole in the ground. At least that is the impression he gives.

Top Bottom