INGO Lawyers and Law Enforcers, Do I have any options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you allowed to question people who utilize the sidewalk in front of your house are they free to use it unhindered?

Un-hindered unless they are questioning me or acting a fool as has happened in the past. I have no issue with a pedestrian unless he makes an issue with me.
    Un-hindered and on their way more than not. If you park your freaking car across it they are fairly hindered wouldn't you agree.

A bit off topic but worth an answer.
    The sidewalk is there to give pedestrians a safe route. To block that safe route is to hinder them and possibly force them out into the "Un-safe" street. It was built by, and maintained by the city in most areas. A sub-burb will lay them in per the area codes and the city usually maintains them.
    If there is a rule or law concerning this then it is to be observed. Code enforcement will cite you if not.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I agree. My wife and I take our daughter for walks regularly, and there are a few places that we regularly have to go out to the street because people feel its ok to block the sidewalk. I think its annoying, my wife on the other hand, has some rather interesting choice words for situations like this.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess I don't understand why you are continuing the thread then. Are you wanting to do a voter initiative ballot measure to change things?
    Stubborn pigheadedness. A desire to have an argument that won't irritate my wife. Venting of a bit of frustration that I must now change a pattern that has existed for three years without causing a problem. This change for the betterment of society of course. Responding to what others have posted. Pot stirring. Some serious debate if I can fit it in. This is the break room right?

Judging by the looks of this thread, it didn't need me to keep going.

I'm going to make this as short and sweet as possible.

While you claim your driveway extends past the sidewalk, it does not.

If you would have looked at the site/survey plot (something you should have done) you would have noticed that there is a little thing called easement rights.

Technically most lots that have sidewalks in front of them, the property between the closest part of the sidewalk to the house and towards the street have been granted easement right for city use.

So you are in the wrong, move your car to the street and prevent a ticket being issued to yourself.
    All your statements are correct. I never said they weren't, I simply don't agree/like it. I will, however, respect it.
    Now on to the second subject......

You bought a home with a short driveway that is inadequate to park a vehicle in, did it not once cross your mind while you was looking at the home before you bought it that you thought, "Wow, that's a short driveway, no place for people coming over or myself to park in it."

Fail all around on the driveway part.

Now as to the kids playing in your yard, petition the HOA to put up a decorative vinyl chain link fence.

Not criticizing you, but there's a whole lot more to buying a home than the house it self.
    Yes, absolutely, shame on me for being a first time homebuyer without a time machine or crystal ball. Six years ago I had one car and myself. Now I find myself fortunate enough to be married with three cars and a full house. There are many other shortcomings of my current home and all of which I intend to address in my next home purchase. As I said before, that does little good right now. I get the feeling from this thread that most INGO members do not live in recent housing developments where the developer simply tried to smash in as many houses as possible. All the homeowners that I've spoken with would actually be excited for people to park in their driveways, sidewalk or not, and keep the street clear. I take it all as life experience and will go with it.

As for the kids, I simply talk to them and politely ask them not to play in my backyard or that of the neighbors'. All have complied. A few forget and I simply remind them again. They are only kids.

I'm adding to this because I see the op has stated that he can move his vehicle up 6 foot to clear the sidewalk, but is inconvenienced because it's to hard for him to pull his other vehicle out of his garage.

I now know what the problem is, laziness, pick your poison.

Continue to park like that and get the ticket you deserve, or man up and move your vehicle like everyone else does when space is restricted, or park on the street.
    My issue is that a homeowner is inconvenienced 100% of the time so that someone may utilize the area in font of the homeowner's property < 1% of the time. The homeowner lives there day in and day out and just wants to be left alone. Because of a sidewalk and the letter of the law, a homeowner can be fined for multiple violations on a piece of land that he doesn't even get any use out of but must maintain. The homeowner is also held responsible for everything and everyone on that piece of land. There are a slew of ordinances about what can't be placed in the grassplots and on the sidewalks in front of a homeowners property. I believed that they were there for nuisance neighbors and people genuinely wanting to be a problem. I liken the enforcement of such laws to an overzealous HOA. There are plenty of others in violation as well but I will not report them and force yet more cars into the street.
    I now see this as a pity for me thread, fail on the OP.
    Oh please don't pity me. If I needed ego stroking or validation I wouldn't have turned to an internet forum. My original intent was simply to verify that one could be ticketed while parked in their own driveway (Yes yes, not really my driveway). Most of the responses only told me to move my car or what to do about tress passers. I've simply been responding to them after my initial question was answered. Who would have thought that blocking a sidewalk in a residential subdivision would have caused such a stir.

Pave your front yard, problem solved.
    I like it. I doubt the HOA would though. :)

Park it in your back yard along the tree line. But make sure you have four concerete pads for the tires. Supwr cheap should be less than ten buck for pavers to go under the tires.

Make sure the grass is manicured. Tires always aired up.. etc. Not much the state can say of you do those things :-)

Leave note problem solved. With fruit basket and an old pound.cake on their door ot present to them. They will love you i promise
    Both your thoughts had actually crossed my mind. :)
    okay another thread gave me an idea...ban all cars!!! Problems solved. :)
    This would save lots of children too, it should definitely be on the next president's to do list!
    Keep all this in mind when you're elderly, pushing your wife down the sidewalk in a wheelchair.
    If I'm well enough to take my wife on a 3/4 mile round trip I will happily waltz around any obstacles I come across.
    Why is it every time a homeowner is ask to do the right thing they run to taxes.

We all pay taxes - get over it. My wife and I are in the same boat with our vehicles. Just respect the rules and quit trying to pretend your inconveniences trumps the right of way of all pedestrians.
    Because taxes suck, duh! For me it's because of the poor ROI that comes with taxes. No one is pretending that an inconvenience trumps the rights of pedestrians, only pointing out the extremity that society goes through to help out the 1%.
    How about installing a car lift? That would look super cool!
    And just think of the selling feature potential.

That would be awesome. Extend it over the sidewalk too. Probably no official clearance height in the code. Give 'EM 5' like all the trees I have to duck under. Heh
    I'm thinking one of motorized wheelchair elevators that will ride you up and down a set of stairs or a long ramp going over the driveway. Why make them duck?
    My guess and I have been wrong, is that he can park his car far enough back to allow the car directly in front of him to back out also. Back out to the front bumper, swing to the one side and that allow his back end to be clear of the car in the rear.

If we live in a neighborhood where people live close, we all need to do our best to show respect to wach other. The kids are wrong for trespassing and the OP is equally for blocking the sidewalk. Nobody wants to be known as "that grumpy man down the street".
    I'm pretty much parallel parking to get into and out of my garage. Have been for three years. I need enough space to do it though and that requires a bit more than allotted by the sidewalk police.

Every neighborhood needs that grumpy guy. Though the consensus here is that I'm that guy, the reality for those who live here is quite reversed.
    Live over 5 miles from the nearest "public" sidewalk. Problem solved.
    Indeed a very good solution.
    Un-hindered unless they are questioning me or acting a fool as has happened in the past. I have no issue with a pedestrian unless he makes an issue with me.
    Un-hindered and on their way more than not. If you park your freaking car across it they are fairly hindered wouldn't you agree.

A bit off topic but worth an answer.
    The sidewalk is there to give pedestrians a safe route. To block that safe route is to hinder them and possibly force them out into the "Un-safe" street. It was built by, and maintained by the city in most areas. A sub-burb will lay them in per the area codes and the city usually maintains them.
    If there is a rule or law concerning this then it is to be observed. Code enforcement will cite you if not.
    All correct especially the "Un-safe" street. I have yet to speak to a homeowner that actually has a problem with a car parked in a driveway blocking the sidewalk though. Only INGO members and the neighbor that I, along with others, victimized by blocking the sidewalk. It must be a difference in subdivisions ours simply does not enforce the rule. Most are amazed that they cannot park "in their driveway". No one has said anything in three years to myself or any of my surrounding neighbors until now. Google's satellite picture shows my car and my neighbors' cars parked exactly as the typically are. Right? no. Inconvenient for pedestrians? yes. Worthy of IMPD's time? I don't see it, that's what HOAs are for. As I said earlier, I have already dealt with the situation.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    OP, you are on a site chock full of people who demand the government get out of their business all the while demanding the government get in yours regarding your property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP, you are on a site chock full of people who demand the government get out of their business all the while demanding the government get in yours regarding your property.

Not so.....If the rule is there just follow it. Not asking for more. It is more of a polite thing than rule of law. It does get my dander up as I was raised not far from my present home and my dad always respected these rules of politeness that seem to be vanishing. More kingdom rules than anything else. Treat as you wish to be treated, no more or less to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stubborn pigheadedness. A desire to have an argument that won't irritate my wife. Venting of a bit of frustration that I must now change a pattern that has existed for three years without causing a problem. This change for the betterment of society of course. Responding to what others have posted. Pot stirring. Some serious debate if I can fit it in. This is the break room right?

Judging by the looks of this thread, it didn't need me to keep going.

All your statements are correct. I never said they weren't, I simply don't agree/like it. I will, however, respect it.
    Yes, absolutely, shame on me for being a first time homebuyer without a time machine or crystal ball. Six years ago I had one car and myself. Now I find myself fortunate enough to be married with three cars and a full house. There are many other shortcomings of my current home and all of which I intend to address in my next home purchase. As I said before, that does little good right now. I get the feeling from this thread that most INGO members do not live in recent housing developments where the developer simply tried to smash in as many houses as possible. All the homeowners that I've spoken with would actually be excited for people to park in their driveways, sidewalk or not, and keep the street clear. I take it all as life experience and will go with it.

As for the kids, I simply talk to them and politely ask them not to play in my backyard or that of the neighbors'. All have complied. A few forget and I simply remind them again. They are only kids.

My issue is that a homeowner is inconvenienced 100% of the time so that someone may utilize the area in font of the homeowner's property < 1% of the time. The homeowner lives there day in and day out and just wants to be left alone. Because of a sidewalk and the letter of the law, a homeowner can be fined for multiple violations on a piece of land that he doesn't even get any use out of but must maintain. The homeowner is also held responsible for everything and everyone on that piece of land. There are a slew of ordinances about what can't be placed in the grassplots and on the sidewalks in front of a homeowners property. I believed that they were there for nuisance neighbors and people genuinely wanting to be a problem. I liken the enforcement of such laws to an overzealous HOA. There are plenty of others in violation as well but I will not report them and force yet more cars into the street.
    Oh please don't pity me. If I needed ego stroking or validation I wouldn't have turned to an internet forum. My original intent was simply to verify that one could be ticketed while parked in their own driveway (Yes yes, not really my driveway). Most of the responses only told me to move my car or what to do about tress passers. I've simply been responding to them after my initial question was answered. Who would have thought that blocking a sidewalk in a residential subdivision would have caused such a stir.

I like it. I doubt the HOA would though. :)

Both your thoughts had actually crossed my mind. :)
    This would save lots of children too, it should definitely be on the next president's to do list!
    If I'm well enough to take my wife on a 3/4 mile round trip I will happily waltz around any obstacles I come across.
    Because taxes suck, duh! For me it's because of the poor ROI that comes with taxes. No one is pretending that an inconvenience trumps the rights of pedestrians, only pointing out the extremity that society goes through to help out the 1%.
    And just think of the selling feature potential.

I'm thinking one of motorized wheelchair elevators that will ride you up and down a set of stairs or a long ramp going over the driveway. Why make them duck?
    I'm pretty much parallel parking to get into and out of my garage. Have been for three years. I need enough space to do it though and that requires a bit more than allotted by the sidewalk police.

Every neighborhood needs that grumpy guy. Though the consensus here is that I'm that guy, the reality for those who live here is quite reversed.
    Indeed a very good solution.
    All correct especially the "Un-safe" street. I have yet to speak to a homeowner that actually has a problem with a car parked in a driveway blocking the sidewalk though. Only INGO members and the neighbor that I, along with others, victimized by blocking the sidewalk. It must be a difference in subdivisions ours simply does not enforce the rule. Most are amazed that they cannot park "in their driveway". No one has said anything in three years to myself or any of my surrounding neighbors until now. Google's satellite picture shows my car and my neighbors' cars parked exactly as the typically are. Right? no. Inconvenient for pedestrians? yes. Worthy of IMPD's time? I don't see it, that's what HOAs are for. As I said earlier, I have already dealt with the situation.

Great response. Good comeback.
    As I said, the way I was raised. No more, no less. Enjoyed the banter.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

The problem here is called common human decency.

Part of that would be for me to not park my vehicle to where it obstructed the sidewalk. My mother (God bless her soul) if she was alive and I did that, she would kick the living :poop: out of my arse for parking like that.

Treat others as you would like to be treated, it's a vicious cycle of what goes around comes back around, and that elderly grandparents of the kids behind you that had to mosey around the rear end of your vehicle will not chastise their grand kids for inappropriate behavior and respect to their elders.

End result, when you're old and decrepit and in a wheel chair, or using a walker or cane, that grandchild who was not taught to show respect and courtesy to their elders, could be the ones that make you walk around the end of their car causing you to possibly fall and break your hip or an even worse injury.

See how it goes. Two minutes to jockey a couple of cars around so it's not covering sidewalk is not going to kill you or others in the household.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    The problem here is called common human decency.

Part of that would be for me to not park my vehicle to where it obstructed the sidewalk. My mother (God bless her soul) if she was alive and I did that, she would kick the living :poop: out of my arse for parking like that.

Treat others as you would like to be treated, it's a vicious cycle of what goes around comes back around, and that elderly grandparents of the kids behind you that had to mosey around the rear end of your vehicle will not chastise their grand kids for inappropriate behavior and respect to their elders.

End result, when you're old and decrepit and in a wheel chair, or using a walker or cane, that grandchild who was not taught to show respect and courtesy to their elders, could be the ones that make you walk around the end of their car causing you to possibly fall and break your hip or an even worse injury.

See how it goes. Two minutes to jockey a couple of cars around so it's not covering sidewalk is not going to kill you or others in the household.

:yesway: I so rarely meet anyone anymore that shows any respect. Kind of sad.

You are right though...These kids will be changing someones diaper someday. LOL The care they will be giving..Will be what they are taught.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You've already made up your mind that I'm an evil homeowner out to cause elderly, handicapped, and children grave injury. Any response I could provide will not be acceptable to you..

I have? :n00b:..... Thanks, can you tell me what other thoughts are in my head? :dunno:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Why thank you! While it may not seem it, I do 100% see the other side of the fence and completely understand the annoyance of having to push my wife around a parked car. Can you see the other side as well? I simply find it difficult to accept that I spend my days getting along with others who make equally annoying decisions only to have a seldom enforced law thrown in my face in my own home due to a neighbor that has nothing better to do with his time.

Yeah, what's the old fart think? That he should just be able to push his handicapped wife around the neighborhood? Who does he think he is? Then he thinks he has the right to use the sidewalk? In front of YOUR house? That just happens to intersect with YOUR driveway? What an a*****e! Huh!? :xmad:
    You should sue him for his insane attempt at using the public right of ways!:n00b:

I think we should have a protest in front of your house...... Everybody that agrees with you can park their cars in your driveway and yard, crossing the sidewalk and show the stupid old b*****d that he can't push YOU around!!!:rockwoot:

Except, I'm thinking you would still only have the one car in the way, and not really much of a protest! :rolleyes:

Choose your battles man! Enjoy life a little! Show the old folks some respect! And like others have said..... Don't be that guy!!!!!:)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Perhaps you could remove the sidewalk on your property altogether.

I know that here, we are responsible for repairs and such now, and I would just as gladly not have a sidewalk for people. Less chance of falling on the grass in winter compared to my shoveled ice path...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If I am to pull up and clear the sidewalk, I have to move ~6 feet. This makes getting the second car out of the garage nearly impossible.

I guess I'm not understanding the layout the way that ^ describes it.
    You mean like this?...

Untitled.jpg

confused-smiley-011.gif

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I guess I'm not understanding the layout the way that ^ describes it.
    You mean like this?...

Untitled.jpg

confused-smiley-011.gif
    That's what I'm picturing, too.

Why not park either car1 or car2 (which ever comes home last) beside car3 and who ever leaves first drives the car that is on the driveway?

Also, I'm wondering what vehicle is car3? Crew cab long bed?

We've got some smart cookies on this site, surely we can do the math and figure out a way to get you guys all square so grandpa can push his wife around the block.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Put tennis balls hanging in the garage. Park car three 3 feet from door to garage, which should give access to the walk, then you should be able to park car 1 and 2 in a way that will allow number 1 to turn while backing out, and car 2 a straight shot to the drive.

Sounds to me like someone needs to work on using all 3 of their mirrors...a lost art to my wife it seems ;)

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    I agree. My wife and I take our daughter for walks regularly, and there are a few places that we regularly have to go out to the street because people feel its ok to block the sidewalk. I think its annoying, my wife on the other hand, has some rather interesting choice words for situations like this.

+1

At my old neighborhood in Florida we lived in a gated community with strict parking rules. One guy a few blocks down was in a battle with the HOA about parking his car on the swale (No curb/grassy area between sidewalk and street). After his car got towed 2 or 3 times, he parked both of his cars at the end of his driveway blocking the sidewalk to purposely make the people and parents with strollers walk in the street to get around his driveway.

When I drove by the next morning, all eight tires on his cars were flat with some pretty hefty paint damage done to them.

Guess he pissed the wrong old person off.

Top Bottom