INGO PSA- How clean is your BCG in your favorite fun toy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    As mentioned in another thread... We were having failure to fire/light primer strikes in our go-to 300BO. We have ran it for 2+ years w/ 99.9% Lil-Gun under everything from 100gr lead dumb dumbs, 110gr Barnes Tac-TC, SMK 125, Various Horandy, others and all the way up to 220gr subs. I really dont know the round count. Maybe 1000+ rounds. Many 50 rnd MTM boxes of roll your own.

Yes, the BCG gets the occasional wipe down, pull the bolt, light oil and keep running.

Never a take-the-time-to-tear-it-down cleaning.

Well, tonight I finally took the time to do a thorough cleaning and boy was it cruddy. I picked and picked all kinds of built up carbon and crust from inside the BCG and the bolt. Removed the 3 gas rings from the bolt and again used a pic to scrape more carbon built up from the gas ring grove.

Polished rearward section of the bolt to a nice clean like new with a light weight micro wire wheel then took some polish to it to make it smooth and shiny

Installed a one piece Enhanced McFarland gas ring to give it a try. For $5.79 shipped we'll give it a try.

Put it all back together with some light machine oil and it was butter smooth.

We'll see what happens outside this weekend. No- we did not disassemble the extractor or ejector as they both seemed ok for now.

I'm no expert but it was time for a cleaning.

:ingo:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've taken my most used bcg down exactly 2 times. Both times were after 2 plus years of "just squirt some more lube on it after a quick wipedown."At the time, it was functioning as it should, with no indication of needing tore down.

There was lots of carbon on the tail of the bolt. There was no wiping it off. It was scraper time. Round count each time I tore it down was probably 2k of handloads using h322, h335, and varget...all proven 223 powders.

I try to take it down at 1000 rounds now.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Depends. If im not planning on shooting it for awhile I'll clean it. Or like my Daniel Defense. I have less than 15 rounds through it since the last cleaning. I dont know when ill shoot it again but no rush to clean it right now either.

I should add my carry guns stay clean for the most part too. I'm thinking about shooting whatever I'm carrying that day. Like yesterday. Carried a gen 5 19, shot the 19x. Next time maybe just carry gen 5 and shoot gen 5 or carry gen 4 and shoot gen 5.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Which caused a ton of damage and premature parts replacement on a lot of weapons.

I had the same M4 (W186654) from 2005 to 2008 and had no issues, granted it was brand new out of the box in 05 but when I turned it in I had probably put a good 5k rounds through it. We did quite a bit of range time while we were overseas.

Top Bottom