• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have to agree with one point. The "war on terror" doesn't really exist. One, it's not a war until Congress declares it as such, and two, like the "war on poverty", the "war on drugs", etc., they're fighting an idea, a nebulous concept that in and of itself can never be wholly defeated. There's no one to surrender, no objective to attain to "win". In no way do I say this to besmirch our brave military who are fighting. Their leadership, if it can be called that, sucks, though.

The only thing I can see in this that's a problem is that the people to whom he was talking were actually encouraged, thinking they had found a kindred spirit, and unfortunately, yes, they do vote. It seemed like the interviewer was trying to educate them, but they just weren't getting it.

Does the word DUH! occur to anyone else out there?

Blessings,
    B

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have to agree with one point. The "war on terror" doesn't really exist. One, it's not a war until Congress declares it as such, and two, like the "war on poverty", the "war on drugs", etc., they're fighting an idea, a nebulous concept that in and of itself can never be wholly defeated. There's no one to surrender, no objective to attain to "win". In no way do I say this to besmirch our brave military who are fighting. Their leadership, if it can be called that, sucks, though.

The War on Terror is just a more PC term for what it actually is, the War on Radical Islam. It i just that if we called it what it really is, more people will be beheaded and the like just for calling a spade a spade. So we wind up with a pretty watered down "War on Terror" name.

Secondly, no you may not be able to kill an idea, but it can be beaten back. We fought against nazi-ism (again, an idea). Is it dead? No, but it is FAR from what it once was. We fought communism (another idea), is it dead? Not by a long shot, but we got a decade or two of not having to worry about nukes falling on our heads so much.

We may not be able to kill an idea, but you can kill or convert those that support it.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    What I find very insightful is the fact that this guy starts saying the dumbest stuff he can pull out of his @ss, and the morons AGREE WITH HIM!!!

After watching that video, I suddenly have the urge to take a shower.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The "war on terror" is in fact a war, if by that you're talking about the commitment of forces to combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

From the dictionary:
    1.a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air. 2.a state or period of armed hostility or active military operations: The two nations were at war with each other.

The practice of Congress declaring war faded with the adoption of the War Power Resolution (War Power Act) of 1973. Under the resolution, the President has the ability to commit US forces to war without a formal declaration of Congress. It does require that Congress, after 60 calendar days, vote to continue the war or else the President must cease hostilities.

Since Congress has voted to continue the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and to fund the war, it supports the war and therefore it is a "war" by all definitions.

Just say'n.

:)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Yes indeed there is a war in Iraq & Afghanistan. No doubt about it. I would hope that everyone by now (if your being honest with yourself) would know that the war in those places really has very little to do with "islamo-fascism" or the "war on terror".

Saddam had nothing to do with 9-11. Bin Laden didn't work with, or even like, Hussein. Iraq never attacked us or had the means to do so if they wanted to. Saddam was a great guy as far as we were concerned until Kuwait (who just happened to sell us lots of oil).

Afghanistan...As soon as we toppled the Taliban & put in a puppet government friendly to our interests (as in, they agreed to build a trans-country natural gas pipe-line from Turkmenistan that could not be built until the Taliban were out of power), we were pretty much out of there. Very few terrorists caught/killed. Bin Laden not caught. Look at the mess it's in now. Taliban resurging, heroine trade back up. Wonderful.

As was said, you can't fight a military war on an idea.

We didn't fight Nazism in WWII, we fought Hitlers German invading army. Nazism was alive & well for many years before the war. Many people didn't like it but it was there nonetheless. Germany even hosted the Olympics which we participated in. We did not even declare war when Hitler started invading other countries. It took the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor to get us into the war.

If we are fighting a "war on communism" then why haven't we invaded China or Russia like we did Iraq of Afghanistan? We fight those ideas with better ideas, then those other bad ideas lose support.

The conservatives complain to no end about the so-called "war on poverty" but what of the so-called "war on drugs"? It's just as much BS as any other "war on..". Are we winning?

Top Bottom