• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Personally, I wouldn't put him in there. But it seems the Col might. And who am I to argue with him?

I went to Rich's gun shop. Spent about an hour talking to him and he was an extremely personable guy. I didn't find him arrogant at all which is how some of the TV guys get. And how most firearms instructors are :)

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How does that route not hold up in action sports? How many action sports comps are won by AMU members? They still use Pullum's methodology when instructing their shooters. Same with Bassham. It held up for Hatcock and Jim Land. I'm not convinced the above lists don't suffer greatly from new hotness disease and the age of the internets.

of course the inverse is true as well, "tactical" shooters don't tend to hold up well in Olympic style or field marksmanship sports. Does that inherently discount tactical school instructors?

Repelling violent criminal actors at 3 arms length with a concealed pistol and Olympic style shooting have virtually nothing to do with each other...other than the fact that some type of gun is used in both endeavors.

Firing a pistol at a 25 meter stationary flat paper target and firing a pistol at a 4 meter living breathing moving target that is trying to kill you are not the same thing. Just like fighting inside a car and being a sniper have little to do with each other. There is a reason that a lot of those same .mil guys go to civilian "tactical" pistol schools also.

At the same time if all you can do is shoot a fast coffee can sized group at 3 yards then you are going to suck at any type of bulls eye match or most "action " pistol matches or anything requiring even a modicum of trigger control for that matter. Being good at one does not by any means guarantee competence at the other. I've seen plenty of bulls eye shooters that can't get their gun out and get hits on a man size target at 5 yards in under 3 seconds (which is a LONG time in a gunfight). I've also seen guys that are ostensibly good "tactical" shooters who fall apart when the target is a 8" plate at 20 yards.

Last edited:

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Which is exactly why I posted this thread. I am always looking to learn more. You are right of course that the list focus's on "tactical" teachers, as marksmanship by itself is not enough. That route doesn't even hold up in the action sports. It is a huge piece of the puzzle though. As to the SEALS and who taught them what, it is my understanding is that when they get to the elite Rogers Shooting School, they still have quite a bit of room for improvement.

Reviving the dead here, but Cedartop you mention the Rogers School..... yet no one has mentioned Bill Rogers .... ooops...upon further review someone did....never mind...

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just because you went and did so well doesn't mean you have to be a Rogers fanboy.:D Congratulations on the great job btw!

I think you know me well enough to know I'm not a "fanboy" for anyone.... Oh, and Thank You Sir. You still need to get down there to Rogers. I'm was hoping you'd be able to make it the week I went, but I do understand all that "responsibility " stuff.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you know me well enough to know I'm not a "fanboy" for anyone.... Oh, and Thank You Sir. You still need to get down there to Rogers. I'm was hoping you'd be able to make it the week I went, but I do understand all that "responsibility " stuff.....

The Rogers School is near the top (or at) of my "dream list."

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Travis Haley (Haley Strategic)
    Nathan LeCompte (Haley Strategic)
    Pierce Richardson (Haley Strategic)

I've hosted them at Hillside in Roanoke the last 2 years and have traveled to different parts of the country to train with them else where.

Top Bottom