• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Does this show bias against putting the correct name of firearm manufacturer, stupidity, inattention to detail, fear of a lawsuit...
    I have noticed that the reporters many times mis spell the name of the firearm...what do you think?

At roughly 7:14 p.m., Zimmerman ends the call. Less than three minutes later, Trayvon Martin was dead from a single gunshot wound to the chest from Zimmerman's Kal-Tec 9 mm pistol, which he carried in a holster on his belt. Police arrived almost immediately and found Martin face-down and motionless in a patch of grass about 70 feet from the back porch of his father's girlfriend's house.

Trayvon Martin Case Spotlights Florida Town's History Of 'Sloppy' Police Work

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I believe it to be simple ignorance and lack of editorial process. Since the specified link is from Huffington Post that should really be all you need to say. Might also show what is happening to our education system as well. If i was writing a piece for anything i would at least look up some details on the equipment that was used in case anyone asked about it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Obviously, the reporter was trying to show he knew what he was talking about.
    This is evidence by the fact that the firearm was not named as a Glock or AK47 assault rifle. :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    At least it wasn't a "Baretta"! :D

To be a reporter these days, the ability to research your story before publishing is not a requirement. Editing is also not needed as spell check catches everything. Or at least that is the way some reporters think.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I've been following the case and have not passed judgement since I do not know all the evidence (although this doesn't seem to worry the media). I keep seeing older angelic pictures of Trayvon with little reference and no pictures regarding his drug dealing/suspension from school......so is he squeaky clean or not. Surely in this electronic day and age it's hard to remain anonymous?
    :twocents:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    At least it wasn't a "Baretta"! :D

To be a reporter these days, the ability to research your story before publishing is not a requirement. Editing is also not needed as spell check catches everything. Or at least that is the way some reporters think.

Never mind that Gun Facts ver. 6.0 is readily available to reporters as a reliable, single source to dispel common firearm myths, as well as provide a means of credibility for the media when quoting sources.

Last edited:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Ask anyone with personal knowledge of any story that has ever been printed in a newspaper, there was some fact or detail wrong.

I have never read a story I had personal knowledge of that was 100% correct, and I have never met anyone who doesn't say the same thing.

Newspapers (and now internet reporters) do not print "truth", they print what people say.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Not pertaining to the story, but I hate it when people write "Winny". It's a Winchester! Unless Pooh started a firearm company.

Ditto for "Remmy," "Bushy," "Izzy" etc. Or when people deliberately distort a manufacturer's name as a way of talking down about them, i.e. "Bushampster," "Remlin," "Grock," etc.

I think with reporters it's just ignorance (don't know, don't care) or carelessness; gun owners do far worse, and in many cases they DO know better!

Top Bottom