Interest in starting a Cowboy Fast Draw club?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunternjh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was pheasant hunting in South Dakota last fall and had the opportunity to try out a relatively new shooting sport: Cowboy Fast Draw. I only got to do it for about 2 hours, but let me tell you it was a blast. I'm interested in getting a club up and running here in the Indy area. I wanted to see if I could get a feel for if there is enough interest around here to start it up (since it does cost quite a bit of time and money). What do you think?

For those of you who don't know, the sport recreates the classic western showdown using metal targets and wax bullets. You are timed against an opponent to see who can get the drop on your target the fastest. You must use a "classic" .45LC cowboy pistol like the Ruger Vaquero and shoot from distances of 15, 18, and 21 feet. All the details on the sport can be found at Cowboy Fast Draw Association. It's the kind of thing where you get together once or twice a month just to plink around and shoot the breeze.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . had the opportunity to try out a relatively new shooting sport: Cowboy Fast Draw.

For what it's worth, it's not a relatively new sport. Fast draw has been an organize sport since at least the early 1960s, maybe 1950s. It was the progenitor in some ways of the practical/action shooting sports that we enjoy today.

Many Hollywood stars enjoyed the sport back in the 1960s. Sammy Davis, Jr. was reputed to be the fastest among them, with Jerry Lewis being #2.

It's relatively safe with experienced, well trained people running the event and with the proper equipment and strict adherence to all safety rules. It can be incredibly dangerous when conducted by people who are inexperienced or lax with safety rules.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Cowboy FD is a little different than the old World Fast Draw Assoc, as they try to keep the guns and gear stock or close to it. I think the idea was to be able to go to a Cowboy FD match with the same gear used in a SASS-type match and at least be competitive with it.

I think I'd be slightly interested in CFD. I've thought about WFDA in the past, but it requires a lot of investment in some really specialized equipment. It looks like I already have an acceptable gun/holster/rig for CFD, so if a CFD club were to appear, I would try to go at least once. I wouldn't think I would get too involved in it, though.

Truthfully, I replied mostly just to post the following link. This is set of clips of Sammy Davis Jr doing some fast draw and gun spinning.

Realize what you are seeing here. This is a man who was part of the Rat Pack- people who were ON TOP in show business. Trendsetters. They were the coolest of cool.
    That is how acceptable guns were then. This man was on stage playing with a gun, and people liked it.
    This wasn't that long ago either. But it was then, and this is now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aNzFYHyz8&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aNzFYHyz8&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom