• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I volunteered at the NWI Family Shoot today and after the event, I had some shooting to do. I was finally able to get my AR properly zeroed and here are the results.

IMG_20150620_185836342_HDR_zpsafqzfjp3.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150620_185848760_zpswwmdbznh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150620_185910082_zps0qgzwufw.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Both lugs around the extractor sheared off and jammed a live round in the chamber. It took a bit of hammering to get it out.

At least I was able to get a decent group out of it before it decided to blow up. I guess I can use this as an excuse to buy a new rifle.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If that's an FN bolt carrier/bolt, i bet they (or the retailer) would be interested in this, and possibly replace it. ESPECIALLY if it was factory ammo

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    If that's an FN bolt carrier/bolt, i bet they (or the retailer) would be interested in this, and possibly replace it. ESPECIALLY if it was factory ammo

I wouldn't put too much faith in them caring. This build is 8+years old. It was up there with the round count as well, somewhere around ~9000. I'm just surprised it failed so spectacularly.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Another example of a poorly engineered, overpriced rifle in a useless caliber. ARs are the "High Point" pistol of the rifle world.

Wow, that's a pretty broad statement. Especially when AR's can vary so widely, based on manufacturer or if it is a Franken-gun.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    how is .223 a useless caliber?[/QUOTE]
    Too big for small game, too small for deer/ large game; too weak for bad guys hiding behind stuff. Overly loud and expensive for plinking/ fun gun use

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    how is .223 a useless caliber?
    Too big for small game, too small for deer/ large game; too weak for bad guys hiding behind stuff. Overly loud and expensive for plinking/ fun gun use[/QUOTE]

Too big for small game- Using the proper ammo, placement, it works just fine.
    Too small for deer/ large game- Again, proper ammo, placement and it works fine
    Too weak for bad guys behind stuff- Again, proper ammo, placement and it works fine. People can hide behind things a .50 won't go thru so that's a situational thing.
    Overly loud and expensive- Again, proper ammo and proper PPE it's fine.
    I've used and carried this weapon system for over 38 yrs in 25 countries and it's worked well for me.
    Over priced, poorly engineered and useless caliber? See above.:rolleyes:
    Notice the common thread? Ammo and placement. Maybe it's not the weapon. ;)

Bob

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    how is .223 a useless caliber?
    Too big for small game, too small for deer/ large game; too weak for bad guys hiding behind stuff. Overly loud and expensive for plinking/ fun gun use[/QUOTE]
    Everyone has their own opinion about the ar-15. Some good some bad and few that are just laughable. Not sure the one your comment belongs in. But it's your opinion and you own it. Oh I own a couple of ar-15's also

Top Bottom